Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Fat Chick
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
The caps on those TWRs don't take long to rust. Might I suggest a lick of paint or a smear of grease to keep the rust gremlins away.
Nicholas
Thanks for the info Nicholas. Everything is going to be cleaned up and a coat of black epoxy paint applied.

Steve
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

All the Tie rod ends have been replaced. I counted the threads and used a tape measure to duplicate the original positions of the rods. That way the alignment won't be to far off. Anyway, there is an alignment shop less than a mile from where I live.

I no longer have anymore parts on hand. I'll be ordering more parts as I move on with the rest of the front suspension. If your wondering why I have not put part of the suspension back together. It's because I'm slowly stripping it down to remove the beam. Less weight will make it a little easier to remove. Have I done this before? Yes, but it was a Baja bug and I just wheeled the beam out complete with tires and wheels on it.

Some Pic's;
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
I used this to loosen threads.
Old/new
Little grease on threads to stop rust.
Measure length of rod.(pay no attention to junk in background LOL)
Done
Old/trash

Steve
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

Great work Steve, looking forward to seeing your entire front end completed!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Great work Steve, looking forward to seeing your entire front end completed!
Jeff
Thanks Jeff. Once the front end is done the wiring harness will be next.

Steve
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

Oh, now that is where the real fun begins!!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

What's up with this?
Cut and scoring.
Same
With bearing on.

Looks like someone in the past was trying to cutting something off that maybe was stuck on the spindle and messed up? It is also has other cuts and is scored all around. It does not effect the area the bearing rides on. The area the bearing rides on has some scoring and pit marks.

Might be ok for some one on a limited budget. Sorry, not me. I'm replacing the spindles (no drop spindles). I'm also replacing the rotor, wheel bearings, races and backing plates etc.....

FYI

Steve
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

I'm having some technical difficulties removing the torsion leaf's from the beam. I tried using the torsion arm attached to the leaf's to pull the stack out complete. No go. I then used a block of wood and a hammer to try and push the leaf's out. Some of the half leaf's moved outward. So I decided, I'll just pull them out one by one. I even used a 12lb sledge hammer, pried with a long screw drive etc... No go.

I have all the half leaf's out, but the four full leaf's will only move about a inch back and forth. I've tried everything except heating up the beam in that area.

Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks.

Steve
Torsion arms
Leafs that wont move
Half leafs removed

My other concern is if I do get the leaf's out. I'm sure they will be a PITA to install. I forgot to mention the beam has Sway away adjusters. Not that it should matter. But, who knows what PO's do.
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

I expect you have looked, but just in case, you need to remove the grub screw from the centre of the beam (part of the adjuster)

Of interest, I had trouble with getting leaves back in an Avis adjuster once, the hole through the adjuster was tight on the wide leaves. so i attached a file to a broom handle then filed the inside of the adjuster a bit, pain in the neck but it worked.
the other trick I got from the Samba was to wrap a couple of layers of celo tape about 1" from the end of the leaves to keep them together. the celo tape breaks as you push the leaves through
good luck
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

Ian Godfrey wrote:
I expect you have looked, but just in case, you need to remove the grub screw from the centre of the beam (part of the adjuster)

Of interest, I had trouble with getting leaves back in an Avis adjuster once, the hole through the adjuster was tight on the wide leaves. so i attached a file to a broom handle then filed the inside of the adjuster a bit, pain in the neck but it worked.
the other trick I got from the Samba was to wrap a couple of layers of celo tape about 1" from the end of the leaves to keep them together. the celo tape breaks as you push the leaves through
good luck
Thanks for the reply Ian. Yes, the grub screw is out from the center of the beam/adjuster. I can rotate the adjuster along with the torsion leaf's 360 degrees.

I've done this job before on my 1966 Baja Bug back in the day (1990). The whole stack of leaf's just slid out using attached torsion arm to pull it.

This is what I think is going on. They/who ever welded the adjusters in with the torsion leaf stack already inserted in the adjuster. As they welded the adjuster in, slag from the welds dripped onto the leaf's. How did I come up with this conclusion? There was black electrical tape wrapped on both ends of the leaf stack. If they had pushed the leaf's in through the adjuster one side would not have the tape on it, as the adjuster would of pushed the tape off. So, they inserted the leaf's into the adjuster first. Then, taped the ends and welded it into the beam.

I'll try for a couple more days before I give up. Then I'll try to put the half leaf's back in. The 50 year old leaf's etc... will not get cleaned and lubed. The last thing I want to do is destroy the beam. That's what will happen when I break out the big sledge hammer. Maybe, down the road I'll replace the beam with something better.

Steve
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

I found the problem/mistake after I pulled the beam out of the car. I hate to admit it but it was another grub screw. I feel like a fool, but I found the problem. I thought the adjuster grub screw was the only screw. There was another grub screw which was 180 degrees out from the adjuster screw. I did not know this and could not see it with the beam in the car. I wanted to use the car as a platform to pull the leaf's out etc... first vs a stand. Then I would use the stand later for clean up, painting etc....

Anyway, now comes the dirty work. Some Pic's;
Beam out.
Beam on jack.
Beam on the stand.
The grub screw's I missed.
Hole for the adjuster grub screw.
Grub screw I missed.
Adjuster grub screw.

Steve
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

I'm glad you solved that, and we have all made our share of mistakes.I'm sure the info will be useful to others in the future.

Ps my biggest boo boo 'so far' was torquing one SPS Carr bolt in my conrod with out the button depressed on the torque wrench....... then I mixed the bolt up with others so I didn't know which one I had overstretched.
it was $600 Australian dollars for 8 new bolts Shocked Crying or Very sad Embarassed Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

Ian Godfrey wrote:
I'm glad you solved that, and we have all made our share of mistakes.I'm sure the info will be useful to others in the future.

Ps my biggest boo boo 'so far' was torquing one SPS Carr bolt in my conrod with out the button depressed on the torque wrench....... then I mixed the bolt up with others so I didn't know which one I had overstretched.
it was $600 Australian dollars for 8 new bolts Shocked Crying or Very sad Embarassed Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes
Thanks Ian. I was close to giving up on it. I put the half leaf's back into the beam. Then figured all is not lost yet, pull the beam. That's where I found the problem/mistake.

Steve
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

I pulled both torsion leaf stacks out of the front beam. The parts I ordered are in. I may need a few more. I'm debating whether or not to replace the Micarta bearings. They look good and are made in Germany. My concern is getting good quality one's, also I need a inner bearing puller etc... I also stripped the beam down of all grease and paint. The weather will be turning too cold to paint next week, so I need to get it painted quickly.

I'm also missing the front inspection cover, seal, and bolts. Anyone know the bolt size for the inspection cover?

Some Pic's;
Missing cover/seal/bolts.
Leafs part way out.
Stripped
I used a old closet rod to push out leaf's
Then a smaller broom handle
Leaf's, the brown/red color is rust. Black mess on the left is electrical tape from PO's.

Steve
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

6mmX1.0 on the inspection cover bolts. 10mm is more than long enough.
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

Once you remove the outer bearings, you will be able to 'feel' the clearance on the micarta bushes when you try each trailing arm.
or if you had a bore gauge or snap gauges you could measure them in place.
my experience is only some of them wear due to lack of lubrication, so sometimes I have only had to replace one or none. One time it was the arm the was worn but the bushing was good, much easier to find a new arm Smile
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

overboost wrote:
6mmX1.0 on the inspection cover bolts. 10mm is more than long enough.
Thanks again, I appreciate it.
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

Ian Godfrey wrote:
Once you remove the outer bearings, you will be able to 'feel' the clearance on the micarta bushes when you try each trailing arm.
or if you had a bore gauge or snap gauges you could measure them in place.
my experience is only some of them wear due to lack of lubrication, so sometimes I have only had to replace one or none. One time it was the arm the was worn but the bushing was good, much easier to find a new arm Smile
I did'nt notice any play in the torsion arms. I will double check them to make sure. Thanks for the info Ian.
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

Lovely car, and great thread. I’m enjoying your approach to jobs, and appreciate all the helpful information. I’ve really come to appreciate the later cars lately, all the Ghias are beautiful when you really look at them.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:
Lovely car, and great thread. I’m enjoying your approach to jobs, and appreciate all the helpful information. I’ve really come to appreciate the later cars lately, all the Ghia's are beautiful when you really look at them.
Thanks, Bob. Yes, all Ghia's have that distinctive body line. I really like the older ones with the small tail lights and handle bar bumpers. I think the best all around year would be the 1969. It has the small tail lights, handle bar bumpers and the IRS suspension. But, all Ghia's are classic no matter the year.

Steve
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

I painted the beam with 3 coats of black epoxy before the bad weather shows up. I also cleaned the rust on the front of the frame head and painted it.

Next, the torsion leaf's and arms to clean up the nasty grease etc..

Grease fittings will be replaced. Used them to cover hole while painting.

Frame head rust
Painted

Steve
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 13

Jump to: