Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69 vw wiring
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
csalwes666
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: 69 vw wiring Reply with quote

hello guys I have a 69 vw it has a generator it's had wiring done to it, my question is I have a red wire on the + of generator a black wire - of generator and a green wire that looked to be a ground on the body of the generator. when the green wire is hooked up to the body of the generator the car has the generator light on, when I disconnect it it charges also they have a amp gauge hooked up this a fuse when driving above 20 mph the fuse pops and also blows out my headlights any info would help it's driving me nuts thank you
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 vw wiring Reply with quote

See the wiring diagram below,
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 vw wiring Reply with quote

Using the above diagram as your guide... find the generator (C) and the voltage regulator (C1) near the bottom half of the diagram. Note the wires running between the two:
    D+ (thick red wire) runs from the D+ threaded stud on the generator to the D+ terminal on the VR.
    DF (green wire) runs from the DF threaded stud on the generator to the DF terminal on the VR.
    D- (brown wire - not shown) runs from the D- screw on the body of the generator near the fan end to the base of the VR so the two share a common ground. The attachment screw on the VR may not be marker but it is clearly an odd screw on the base metal frame of the VR.

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
csalwes666
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 vw wiring Reply with quote

thank you I'll look there as a start, what I don't understand is when you turn the key on the green wire they had as a ground is hot.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 vw wiring Reply with quote

The green wire coming from VR61 goes to speedo gen. light not ground.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 vw wiring Reply with quote

csalwes666 wrote:
thank you I'll look there as a start, what I don't understand is when you turn the key on the green wire they had as a ground is hot.

At the VR, if the green wire running to the engine is connected to the DF terminal... it is meant to have a variable voltage. So could have voltage on the wire when measured at the generator end. If it is connected to one of the other terminals it could too.

You need to confirm the correct colored wires are connected between the correct terminals. The green wire should not be connected to the D- screw hole on the body of the generator. The brown D- wire should be connected to this point. The DF wire is typically green.

Since the above OE diagram does not show the D- wire... maybe this pic from Speedy Jim's site will help. Unfortunately, it doesn't show the wire colors.

csalwes666
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 69 vw wiring Reply with quote

thank you ashman I chased the wires they had the df as the ground on the generator body and the brown wire was on the df terminal it seems to charge at idle now but at sbout1500 rpm the generator light flickers I'm thinking maybe the voltage regulator might be fried.
csalwes666
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 69 vw wiring Reply with quote

thank you ashman I chased the wires they had the df as the ground on the generator body and the brown wire was on the df terminal it seems to charge at idle now but at sbout1500 rpm the generator light flickers I'm thinking maybe the voltage regulator might be fried.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: 69 vw wiring Reply with quote

Not clear from your above description... you found that the wires were running incorrectly. Did you correct the wiring? Did you test the charging system output after correcting the wiring?

Follow Speedy Jim's steps to test your charging system:
http://www.speedyjim.net/htm/gen.htm

Report back your results.
csalwes666
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: 69 vw wiring Reply with quote

I did run the wires the way there supposed to be, i was looking at the amp gauge on the dash at idle it is charging when I rev up the engine the amp meter goes to zero and the generator light flickers on and off. I will put a meter on it today.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 vw wiring Reply with quote

csalwes666 wrote:
I did run the wires the way there supposed to be, i was looking at the amp gauge on the dash at idle it is charging when I rev up the engine the amp meter goes to zero and the generator light flickers on and off.

This will depend on where you have placed the amp meter. Current flow thru the meter is what the meter is displaying. Where do you have the amp meter installed? A common place is on the wire coming off the battery to the VR. This measures current flow in and out from the battery to the electrical system.
If connected on the output of the battery, with the engine OFF, turn the headlights ON and you should see the amp meter indicating current flowing OUT from the battery. Is this shown as + or -?

csalwes666 wrote:
I will put a meter on it today.

Take voltage readings at the following four locations when the engine is running with a raised RPM; at idle when the GEN lamp glows and when the engine is OFF:
    At the battery posts.
    At the VR B+ terminal
    At the VR #61 (GEN lamp) terminal
    At the fuse box fuse for the turn signals (ignition switch powered)

Report back your measurements.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: