Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suggestions for EV Camper Fluorescent light replacement
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Suggestions for EV Camper Fluorescent light replacement Reply with quote

The bulb cover on my fluorescent light fixture in my Eurovan camper has turned to a faded orange. I’d like to replace them with a dimmable LED fixture of some kind. Looking for suggestions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dazey77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Suggestions for EV Camper Fluorescent light replacement Reply with quote

I had this problem. First did a temporary swap of the fluorescent tube to led (which of course doesnt solve the Yellow lenses)
The problem I found in replacing the lamps is its difficult to find LED fittings the same size or bigger and there is a hole in the plastic to cover. I also had issues finding warm white LEDs in a fitting I liked.

I wouldn't say this is a suggestion, more to give you some ideas.
I ended up creating my own fitting (using one as a base) as I couldn't find one that met my criteria.

I used one of these:
https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/12v-led-interior-strip-light-with-touch-onoff-switch-silver.html. (410mm)
Ripped out all the LEDs and PCB and replaced them with a high brightness warm white LED strip
Ripped out the touch switch(which wouldn't work with an external dimmer that I wanted to use) and fitted a physical switch
Mounted the light on a big of CF sheet and then in turn mounted this in place of the fittings.

This is one before it was bolted onto the van.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Suggestions for EV Camper Fluorescent light replacement Reply with quote

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Saturn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestions for EV Camper Fluorescent light replacement Reply with quote

bcolins wrote:
The bulb cover on my fluorescent light fixture in my Eurovan camper has turned to a faded orange. I’d like to replace them with a dimmable LED fixture of some kind. Looking for suggestions.

When I bought my '95 EVC, both the covers of the fluorescent lights were MIA and one of the tubes in each of the fixtures would intermittently shut off. Replacing the bulbs did not solve the problem nor did cleaning and working on the end connectors. Lived with it for a couple years until this August when I finally replaced them with LED fixtures.

Over the summer I searched on theSamba and found several posts around retrofitting/renovating the original fixtures with LED bulbs as well full replacement approaches. One of the first items I looked at were thin LED strips with about the same lumen output of the fluorescent bulbs to potentally retrofit into the original fixtures and replace the glass tubes. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093SYK5XP/
Caught them on sale for $9.50 so I picked up one in warm white and cold white. They are dimmable and since they are USB powered, I also ordered these 12V to 5V/USB converters for the wiring aspect. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087RHWTJW/
After sizing them up, I decided not to use them to replace the fluorescent bulbs in the fixtures, rather considering to utilizing them for illumination in the upper bunk/pop top due to their extremely low profile.

Continued to search for other solutions, looked for LED fixtures which were 11-12+ inches long and 5 inches or shorter width-wise. After pouring through search results and product specs, these were the ones I ended ordering: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RGNQNQP/
As with the previous LEDs ordered a warm white and cool white version. These units are not dimmable, just have an on-off switch allowing for one or both banks of LEDs to be turned on. One drawback of this unit is it does not fully cover the opening in the ceiling over the galley lengthwise with about 1-2" gap from the original fixture. This really doesn't bother me aesthetically, it could be a no-go for those where that aspect is a concern.

Using the old fixture as a template I could align one of the originally cast mounting holes in the plastic housing then drilled out 3 more holes so I could utilize the original mounting holes in the ceiling without creating new ones. Hooked up the wiring to the house system and then tuned the rocker switch 90 degrees so it worked front to back rather than side to side. Installed the brighter, cold white unit in the galley area for maximum lighting.

In the rear area, the ceiling is not as wide so I could not use the the same unit as I did in the galley. Ended up gifting the warm white one to my brother as he is looking at solutions for LED illumination of the engine bay in his Vanagon. For the rear lighting, ordering these in warm white: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093L4VXNM/
As with the galley unit, I wanted the ability to turn on one or both fixtures to have some control of the overall lighting. These particular lights do not have a dimming feature but there are similar-sized units which do have that available. These units mount via rail which is secured to the ceiling. The the original mounting holes could be used again, though I did need to put in some wood shims so the units would sit at the same relative position off of the ceiling. Originally the wiring exits the housing under the on/off switch so drilled a hole on the underside of the housing to keep it hidden and out of the way.

This is how I approached replacing the fluorescent fixtures without breaking the bank so to speak. There is a definite improvement with the lighting and brightness inside the EVC, and very happy with the results. All-in-all the total outlay for everything listed about was $60-65 when originally ordering it. Estimate it took 2.5-3 hours to remove the old units, rewire and install the new ones. Probably spent more researching on theSamba and searching on Amazon for potential LED units to put in.

wannabecamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestions for EV Camper Fluorescent light replacement Reply with quote

I replaced mine with these.

one at the pop top
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010PDAB96/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Ones over the stove and the rear seat
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010PD9NRM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I made my decision based on the following 3 reasons:
- Covers the hole left by the existing lights. The small one covers it completely.
- Warmish light: 2,800K light temperature
- Low Wattage

They worked out great.
Danilot4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Suggestions for EV Camper Fluorescent light replacement Reply with quote

hi guys. on a subject i want to share my experience.
As in my country there is nowhere to bay a normal 2700K neon lights (i don't like those white or blue led and neon lights they look like some hospital to me) I decided to DIY a led version. On a peace of aluminum stripe I glued two led stripes 12v 2700k and connect them to a original switch. I also keep original electronics for neon inside just in case i ever find a neon in color temperature i like. pretty easy DIY Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: