Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Right front light
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
maggiolo72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Right front light Reply with quote

Hi there, in some weeks I have the MOT check, my right front light is almost ok but not perfect.
The car is a 72 1303, the headlight are with the 2 screws for setting up.
It should go a little bit more on the right side but if I try to reach the right position with the screws the tensioner exit from the gummy part inside the headlight and I have to dismantle all and start again, I would try to fix it before go to the check, maybe it's ok for them but i don't know...
Ideas ?
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Right front light Reply with quote

Is the tensioner screw coming out of the threaded base because it is stripped or because you have unscrewed it all the way?

67 Beetle bought new, 95% stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
maggiolo72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Right front light Reply with quote

No, looks like the small metal parts that enter in the plastic parts inside the headlight was pulling off at a certain moment. no strippet threads and not all way in.
Looking around on internet I saw that the screws have 2 small springs that I am missing, that could be the reason ?
maggiolo72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Right front light Reply with quote

If I dismantle the headlights there are marks that I need to align to have the correct position .
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Right front light Reply with quote

maggiolo72 wrote:
If I dismantle the headlights there are marks that I need to align to have the correct position .

Drive the car and point it straight at a light colored wall and turn the lights on and mark the wall with chock where the beams are before dismantle so you can get the adjusted light back to normal.
maggiolo72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Right front light Reply with quote

Thank you but I have the MOT tool to check the Headlights alignment...
Just want to know if when I putt all back there are marks that I have to follow
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Right front light Reply with quote

Yes those springs could be the source of your trouble. They provide tension to the headlight bucket AND the screws / threaded inserts. It is also possible that the inserts have rusted to the point that they no longer hold well.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
maggiolo72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Right front light Reply with quote

No the insert are without rust at all... I have ordered the new screws plus the springs. At the same time I will change the chrome ring that are not so nice.
Waiting to know if there are some marks to respect
maggiolo72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Right front light Reply with quote

Nobody answer about marks so probably there are none.....
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Right front light Reply with quote

The headlight should have Top somewhere on the lens. The bucket should only fit one way.

maggiolo72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Right front light Reply with quote

Ok, i will look for the mark, I think as soon the write hella or bosch is readable is ok..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: