Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bay recently?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 454, 455, 456 ... 461, 462, 463  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tburton100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Old motor was a 1300 and totally knackered so have had it replaced with a refurb 1641, so much better already.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Whilst it was at the garage, new dual heating gas/240v system plus updating the electrical system with split charge and hook-up.

First camping trip booked to give it all a try now..
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I ordered one of Jeremy's tow bars Smile

My 1968 Campmobile
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Simple stuff, but satisfying.

On my new (to me) '69 Westy, I did a little engine work. Last weekend was valve adjustment and tuneup. This weekend I replaced the non-German 009 with a proper rebuilt SVDA unit, and it is already running better. When I figure out how to replace the missing/cut off mount, I'll put back in the original style air cleaner. The pleated paper cone-shaped unit on it is dirty.

Replaced the rusty and gutted pea shooters with nice SS units. Quieter and of course they look much nicer!

Got rid of the plastic fuel filler and replaced the fuel line from pump to carb.

One of these days I'll get to the tank to replace that line. Any tips on making that easier?
Charlie57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I started installing a new wiring kit. It's been a long time since I have worked on my 1978. Does anyone happen to have photos of a clean installation, I still have a long way to go and it already looks like a rat's nest!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Random orbital Menzerna 400 > Menzerna 2500 > Jesco Powerlock

Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Hello,
Ralph, Passat 15" wheels?. or others?... That looks good.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Angus II wrote:
Hello,
Ralph, Passat 15" wheels?. or others?... That looks good.

No those are stock wheels.
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Simple stuff, but satisfying.

One of these days I'll get to the tank to replace that line. Any tips on making that easier?

Drain tank first to make your life easier; remember, it's a 14 gallon tank, so run till 1/4 or less then drain into 5 gallon bucket to be sure
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Received my pair of the discontinued Cibie 7" H4 headlamps which were still in the supply chain. Apparently Valeo didn't keep up the tooling and it slid below QA standards, and was discontinued. (Also got a pair of German Flösser brand H4 bulbs.)

Get them while they still have them. It is a screaming good price, and after this, there's no more. I found them by accident at classicgarage.com.

Note: These are E2 European lenses which take replaceable H4 lamps and are legal in Europe and Canada, but *technically* not legal in the USA because they are not DOT approved. If someone is squinting at your headlights looking for the compliance mark, you're pretty much already screwed.

Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Hello,
I just received a new pair of Cibie #082440s. For, $75 shipped for the pair from a private seller. All, I need is the correct high/low beam bulbs. I should have bought the Toyota kit for less and are plug & play. But, I don't like the ideal of Jap/china parts on my survivor 71 pop top... How much were yours from classicgarage.com with shipping. If, you don't mind me asking.

I bought these after reading The H4 upgrade thread...SGKent gave them a good review in his opinion. And, they're from Europe for an European made bus. A plus too me.
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Angus II wrote:
Hello,
I just received a new pair of Cibie #082440s. How much were yours from classicgarage.com with shipping. If, you don't mind me asking.

$141 total, which was lenses, two 55w/60w H4 German Flosser bulbs, tax, and shipping.

I bought the Cibies for the classic curved shape, but the Japanese Koito lenses are demonstrably better at the job. I just don't care for the flat lenses.

Don't let perfect be the enemy of "better": Any H4 bulb from a reputable manufacturer will give you good service, and much better than you will get from a sealed beam.

I also plan to add dual relays so the light switch only has to power the relays instead of both bulbs straight through the switch. There are plenty of good relay kits that only require you to add 12ft of 14AWG stranded copper to the positive terminal on the starter and the kit, and you're rolling with a dedicated power tap just for your H4 bulbs. Lotsa more light.

webwalker
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Hello, WebWalker
Thanks for the info. Mostly, the relays upgrade trick for more juice to/for the headlights via the relays saving the switch some wear and tear.
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Got rid of my ugly, rusting, oxidizing, 52-year-old Westfalia shelf support and replaced it with a snazzy stainless steel one from NLAVW.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Shiny!

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bummerbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

After buying a house and moving my bus has been feeling generally neglected lately. But I did just have these stainless steel shore power electrical faceplates made up to modernize the interior and add some usb charging to the back.

Disregard my greasy finger prints!

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Nice touch bummerbus. Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bummerbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Thanks Notchboy! I find it’s the little projects that keep me motivated on this thing these days.
wildDogPizza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I installed a bluetooth receiver and an amp. I created a bracket out of sheet metal to mount everything without drilling any holes. It mounts to the 2 bolts that hold the bracket for the parking brake to the ventilation tube at the bottom and the bolt that holds the heater controls at the top.

I had to clearance the bottom a bit more to clear the parking brake hitting it after this.

NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Looks good!

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Threw on some MB hubcaps.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 454, 455, 456 ... 461, 462, 463  Next
Jump to:
Page 455 of 463

Jump to: