Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WEBER IDF venturi removal
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bearwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: WEBER IDF venturi removal Reply with quote

hello, im in the process of changing my venturi on my weber 40 idf, do you have techniques on how to remove the venturi from the carb body? it was stucked and cant get out from the carb..thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tobias Bylund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: WEBER IDF venturi removal Reply with quote

I had the same problem on my 44´s, i had to take a hacksaw blade and cut it lengthwise so i could crack it and remove it, lots of crud/varnish from old gas behind it, it would never have come out using non-destructive methods....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: WEBER IDF venturi removal Reply with quote

Did you remove the screw that locks it in?

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: WEBER IDF venturi removal Reply with quote

PVC pipe or other plastic cylinder that is just the right size to use as a drift, a dead blow hammer, and a bit of heat. Soft wooden block to support the carb body.

And yes obviously make sure you've removed everything you are supposed too, such as set screws, etc.
Guack007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: WEBER IDF venturi removal Reply with quote

Maybe let the car idle for a long time so the carbs get warm (or a good hair dryer ) and then try holding something cold to just the inside of the Venturi to get that cold ?
bearwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: WEBER IDF venturi removal Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
PVC pipe or other plastic cylinder that is just the right size to use as a drift, a dead blow hammer, and a bit of heat. Soft wooden block to support the carb body.

And yes obviously make sure you've removed everything you are supposed too, such as set screws, etc.

do you have pics or diagram on how to? i succesfully removed the 3 but one last venturi was sticking...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: WEBER IDF venturi removal Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:

How can someone insert PVC pipe or a other item,when the throttle plate, throttle shaft is in place? Confused

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: WEBER IDF venturi removal Reply with quote

Cut it in half.

Try a heat gun or hair dryer to warm up the carb body.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: WEBER IDF venturi removal Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Cut it in half.

Try a heat gun or hair dryer to warm up the carb body.

Will that also work with the auxiliary venturi in place?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: WEBER IDF venturi removal Reply with quote

I could show you lots of ways that I could make a washer of a specific size, but
How YOU make a washer is really up to you and what materials and tools you have available.

So how do you drive that if the throttle is in the way?
A driver that is something like a fork, or a tube with grooves, or.... and yet again, whatever you want to do. Wood, metal, plastic, who knows.
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: WEBER IDF venturi removal Reply with quote

I've never had a problem with removing the venturi's but you could make a simple wooden collet puller. I did have to make a puller for the auxiliary venturi's though.
ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: WEBER IDF venturi removal Reply with quote

I opened the throttle plates, and stuck a screw driver through. Then tapped on the secondary booster, first one side of the booster, then the other, back and forth, until it started moving.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: WEBER IDF venturi removal Reply with quote

Update,this is how I removed 4, seized auxiliary venturi's.

Line up driver gear key way, to clear venturi spring clip.

02/76 Beetle sedan
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: WEBER IDF venturi removal Reply with quote

I've used a block of wood ground down to size and many, many little taps with a hammer.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: WEBER IDF venturi removal Reply with quote

Pasanni recommended to push the venturi out, and let the venturi push the booster out.

Can't do that with the carb installed, but your tool can, so that's cool.
but what if the venturi is stuck also Think But maybe it isn't
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: WEBER IDF venturi removal Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Pasanni recommended to push the venturi out, and let the venturi push the booster out.

Can't do that with the carb installed, but your tool can, so that's cool.
but what if the venturi is stuck also Think But maybe it isn't

The venturi's in my carbs weren't stuck, only the auxiliary venturi's. were.
If the throttle shafts were removed in my carbs, I would have done what others recommended. Corrosion on the barrels were holding the auxiliary venturi's in place well.

02/76 Beetle sedan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: