Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Snow blower without a carburetor air filter?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:59 am    Post subject: Snow blower without a carburetor air filter? Reply with quote

I was helping my brother-in-law start his newly purchased Ariens 5524 snow blower purchased from a neighbor and saw no carburetor air filter. We had no problem starting it once the shutoff key was attached properly but I saw no air filter isn't that odd?

This video shows the same model and I don't see an air filter in this video either.

Link

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Snow blower without a carburetor air filter? Reply with quote

My experience with your type of snow blower is that they don't have an air cleaner. I think it has something to do with all the moisture present when you actually use it. The filter would plug up rather quickly.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Snow blower without a carburetor air filter? Reply with quote

It’s the cost benefit ratio Linda

A 2 liter car engine will go 15000 miles between filter changes , or about 3000 hours of operation. A 200 cc lawn mower engine will filter 1/10 the air so equivalent of 3000 hours of operation.

That’s about 100 years of homeowner operation

A commercial unit will have an air filter
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Snow blower without a carburetor air filter? Reply with quote

I have been using those HS50 (5hp Tecumseh) engines for several minibike projects lately and no...they do not come with an air cleaner.

There are air cleaners that do attach to the carb but they would interfere with the choke mechanism and would require re-working things
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Snow blower without a carburetor air filter? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
It’s the cost benefit ratio Linda

A 2 liter car engine will go 15000 miles between filter changes, twice before you throw it away

fixed it for you

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Snow blower without a carburetor air filter? Reply with quote

Wow very interesting. Thanks a ton!
I really like this snow blower with a plug in start. I'm going to start shopping for one for myself now.

Rich Latsch wrote:
My experience with your type of snow blower is that they don't have an air cleaner. I think it has something to do with all the moisture present when you actually use it. The filter would plug up rather quickly.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
capedave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Snow blower without a carburetor air filter? Reply with quote

Should be no dust or dirt in the snow, notice also the carb is getting
warm air from around the muffler.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Snow blower without a carburetor air filter? Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
I really like this snow blower with a plug in start. I'm going to start shopping for one for myself now.

Before you decide, you should really look at the Toro 724 QXE.
https://www.snowblowers.net/snowmaster-724-qxe-rev...20operate.

Don't be fooled by the small size. For 30+ years, I've always bought the largest and strongest snow blower I could afford. I live in Vermont and we get more snow than I like. I read about this snow blower 4 years ago and thought it couldn't do what I need but the reviews were amazing so I went and tried one out. I've had it for 4 years now. Best purchase I ever made. It's easy to handle, and no messing around with changing speeds. It's auto sense drive will go as fast or as slow as you go. It's a great design. I can clear my driveway in half the time that I used to and it throws just as far. I've put this little thing through all the tests and it's a beast. Bonus is that it's small so it takes up less space when stored for the summer. Toro also makes the 824 QXE which is the same machine with a slightly larger motor, but I think the 724 does just fine. There are some great Youtube videos showing this little snow blower in action.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow blower without a carburetor air filter? Reply with quote

I can do up to a foot with a corded Greenworks electric

A major dump of 18 inches or more and I crank up the Ariens
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Snow blower without a carburetor air filter? Reply with quote

I've yet to be in a dusty snowfall.

Any dirt at the bottom of snow is either ice or mud.

Not having a filter is a non concern.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Snow blower without a carburetor air filter? Reply with quote

The Snowmaster 724 is showing as discontinued......I just bought a lightly used Ariens from my neighbor for $200 but bummer for whoever was looking for it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Snow blower without a carburetor air filter? Reply with quote

I just fueled and fired up my old Ariel’s yesterday. No safeties, no deadman switches, clutch will let you run it down the road hands free.

Back when men were men and we had only 8 fingers
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Snow blower without a carburetor air filter? Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

Before you decide, you should really look at the Toro 724 QXE.
https://www.snowblowers.net/snowmaster-724-qxe-rev...20operate.

Don't be fooled by the small size. For 30+ years, I've always bought the largest and strongest snow blower I could afford. I live in Vermont and we get more snow than I like. I read about this snow blower 4 years ago and thought it couldn't do what I need but the reviews were amazing so I went and tried one out. I've had it for 4 years now. Best purchase I ever made. It's easy to handle, and no messing around with changing speeds. It's auto sense drive will go as fast or as slow as you go. It's a great design. I can clear my driveway in half the time that I used to and it throws just as far. I've put this little thing through all the tests and it's a beast. Bonus is that it's small so it takes up less space when stored for the summer. Toro also makes the 824 QXE which is the same machine with a slightly larger motor, but I think the 724 does just fine. There are some great Youtube videos showing this little snow blower in action.

I have an older smaller similar version of this Toro that was given to me brand new. I have had zero complaints even when i lived up north jersey and we actually got snow. Living now in central jersey i have barely had to use it and i hope it stays that way
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Snow blower without a carburetor air filter? Reply with quote

bobhill8 wrote:
The Snowmaster 724 is showing as discontinued......I just bought a lightly used Ariens from my neighbor for $200 but bummer for whoever was looking for it.

Actually, it's still in in production under a new name, Toro 724 ZXR, with a few minor modifications, and a higher price! Of course!

It is basically the same machine and it's a bullet proof snow blower. The older model had a terrific joy stick shut control that works great and is very accurate and fast. I can move the shut from full left to full right and full up or full down - on the fly in literally a second. Unfortunately, that feature has been replaced with a slow manual control. The other change is it no longer has an electric start feature, which is no big deal. It's totally unnecessary as this thing always starts on the first pull and a child can start it. I've never used the electric start.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Snow blower without a carburetor air filter? Reply with quote

I like my 48" snow thrower attachment to my 25 year old Craftsman lawn tractor.

Sure its heavy, is a pain to swap over in the spring and fall, and goes through belts but its nice to just sit down and let the machine do the work. Plus at 48" wide its like 3 passes along my 150 foot driveway.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow blower without a carburetor air filter? Reply with quote

Snowblowers, like motor boats, do not need air filters. Think about it.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Snow blower without a carburetor air filter? Reply with quote

capedave wrote:
Should be no dust or dirt in the snow, notice also the carb is getting
warm air from around the muffler.

djkeev wrote:

Dave

cdennisg wrote:
Snowblowers, like motor boats, do not need air filters. Think about it.

Looks like there are at least 3 guys here that know where the bears poop in the buckbrush! Laughing Laughing
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Snow blower without a carburetor air filter? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Dave

Did you know every snowflake forms around a dust particle? So, every snowfall, is in fact, a dustfall.

You need a KN filter on every gas engine. I can sell you the Special KN oil too.

Is it ethical to charge a customer for waste oil disposal while Im charging them for the KN oil at the same time? Plus Shop supplies??
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow blower without a carburetor air filter? Reply with quote

I live in the L.A. basin. What is this "snowblower" of which you speak? Air filters? That's different--I need one just to breathe... Razz
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow blower without a carburetor air filter? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Looks like there are at least 3 guys here that know where the bears poop in the buckbrush! Laughing Laughing

Ha! Everybody knows that bears don't shit in the woods. . . they shit on the road and kick it in!

I've worked on a LOT of snow blowers during my various stints as a mechanic, especially during my time as a small engine mechanic in Alaska, and I've yet to see one that had an air filter. Part of the reason is, as mentioned above, that they aren't really essential in this application. But the main reason is that nothing clogs an air filter faster than powdered snow. Have you ever seen that show Ice Road Truckers? They keep two air filters in their rigs- one on the engine, and a second one inside the cab where it's warm and dry so they can swap it out when the snow clogs the first one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: