Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Depression era green glassware , white residue??
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Depression era green glassware , white residue?? Reply with quote

We have a nice set of the heavy green glass with a persistent white residue on it

Web research is all over the place with solutions, CLR, vinegar, etc

Anyone have any personal experience with this??
Jennepher Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Depression era green glassware , white residue?? Reply with quote

Found this thread which you've probably already read in your research.

It says that if the glass has been put through a dishwasher at any time in an attempt to clean it, "there's no help for it" now.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
If your post begins "I know this is against the rules but..." just stop typing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Depression era green glassware , white residue?? Reply with quote

Thanks J

I had read that but frankly it doesn’t make sense.

Perhaps some if the drying agents ( basically Surfave tension compounds ) could leave residue but no reason hot water and soap is any different in the dishwasher )

I have access to nasty acids like HF but that’s is flattening the can with the steamroller
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Depression era green glassware , white residue?? Reply with quote

I like the CLR solution for the whitish deposits on the glass.

As you likely know, HF is some really nasty stuff.
One splash on the skin. And your in for a trip the emergency room for treatment.
I like to keep my bones intact!

Have you considered trying Armor-all? Maybe that can restore some of the luster in the glass.

I agree with Jenn. Sone glass should not be put into the dish washer.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Depression era green glassware , white residue?? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Thanks J

I had read that but frankly it doesn’t make sense.

Perhaps some if the drying agents ( basically Surfave tension compounds ) could leave residue but no reason hot water and soap is any different in the dishwasher )

I have access to nasty acids like HF but that’s is flattening the can with the steamroller

Jennepher is correct. Any delicate glass, vintage glass, silverplate, sterling, dishes with gold trim, crystal stemware etc. - all of it should be handwashed as the detergents in the dishwasher are murder on it. You might try a small piece and submerge it with a denture tablet to see what happens (it works on vases that have the white mineral residue on them via evaporation), but, it should be a small piece to begin with.

Edit: Just read the thread, and I agree with the lady that there's a difference between the mineral deposits and the etching from the dishwasher. The denture tabs might work, but most likely they won't.

Thick glass also shouldn't be put in the dishwasher as it can shatter with the heat (happened a lot in restaurants).

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback

Last edited by Emily's Owner on Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Depression era green glassware , white residue?? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

Have you considered trying Armor-all? Maybe that can restore some of the luster in the glass.

I agree with Jenn. Sone glass should not be put into the dish washer.

Don't use Armor-all on anything you will eat off of. Speak to the hand

ITMC - OG Den Mother

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Depression era green glassware , white residue?? Reply with quote

Thanks folks. We like it as is , I might try a very mild optical polish to see if I can improve the finish on the worst bit. We polish telescope mirrors with it.
I’m the designated washer of Spode and Royal Dalton so I’ll probably add this new client to my list.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Depression era green glassware , white residue?? Reply with quote

I'm far from an expert but personal experience has demonstrated the corrosive aspects of dish washer detergent.

Clear glass ends up cloudy, any applied decorated glass ends up undecorated, etc.

The acids they use to remove that dried on grime remove the basic properties of glass and glazes too.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Depression era green glassware , white residue?? Reply with quote

I am regularly surprised by the magic of Magic Eraser. I have used it on old bottles I find in the woods. I am not a chemist however, so someone might already be shouting at their screen, "No Magic Eraser!!!".
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Depression era green glassware , white residue?? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I'm far from an expert but personal experience has demonstrated the corrosive aspects of dish washer detergent.

Clear glass ends up cloudy, any applied decorated glass ends up undecorated, etc.

High pH like autodish detergents can etch glass.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Depression era green glassware , white residue?? Reply with quote

I'v had good luck with vinegar on calcium buildup on dishes. Will not harm anyway. 100 percent no watering down. I realize this is not calcium.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Depression era green glassware , white residue?? Reply with quote

0000 steel wool
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Depression era green glassware , white residue?? Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
0000 steel wool

I wouldn't if it has that kind of "aurora borealis" finish on it - it will take that off as well.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Depression era green glassware , white residue?? Reply with quote

Try bronze wool - not nearly as aggressive as steel wool
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Depression era green glassware , white residue?? Reply with quote

The etching issues with modern dishwasher detergents.....are mostly from the "high efficiency" pods.

These are dishwasher detergents made for the modern lazy people who do not rinse off much of the leftover food and let their dishes sit for days before washing....and are too lazy to add a seperate rinse agent to the automatic dispensor.

These detergent pods are roughly 4x stronger than they need to be. Also......the BIGGEST problem is that they are "untimed" in their release. They start dissolving and are in the entire wash cycle when they should not be.

They also react poorly with both very hard water and with water that has been "over-softened" and had too much salt in it.

The biggest issue with etching....if it is etching.....is sodium silicate. The problem is that it dries on because it does not get rinsed off properly. That alone will not etch glass. Its when it builds up cycle after cycle and then gets re-wetted when it has a large enough mass to produce not only high PH.....but high solution strength.

Early on.....when you just see the visible "rainbow effect"....you can take it off with washing vinegar.
Later when it gets visible haze.....use CLR. CLR is not toxic to skin or people....unless maybe you drink it.

It used to have phosphoric acid in it.....which is still not toxic but breaks down into phosphates as it oxidizes. So removing it was not for health reasons but to keep phosphates out of the environment.....which long ago was debunked as a major issue. The high efficiency non-phosphate detergent generation is an even larger bio-hazard.....but that a discussion for a different time.

There has never been a serious health issue with CLR unless you splash it in your eyes or heavily inhale aspirated vapors. But then that goes for any acid.

What some may be thinking of are products like "Wink".....whifh are truly diabolical because they contain "hydrofluoric acid".....which can kill you in a hideous way by going after calcium in your bone marrow or organs.

To keep this from happening to your glasses....I reccomend getting a big wash tub.....filling it up with a couple of gallons of vinegar.....or better still......a big deep wash tub and filling it with water and a couple of cups or muriatic acid .....enough to bring the PH down to about 2.0......test strips are cheap on amazon.....and soaking your dishes about every 4-6 weeks to remove the silicates before they can start etching.

Yoy can neutralize the tub PH to 6.5 or higher with a 5lb box of baking soda and then pour it down the drain. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: