Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split Bus with Bay Fuel Tank - Fuel Gauge and Sender issues
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikelars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Split Bus with Bay Fuel Tank - Fuel Gauge and Sender issues Reply with quote

So I have read some similar threads here on Fuel Gauge and Sender but here is the background:

I have a Spit Bus with Bay 15 gallon fuel tank. I put a bay fuel level sender and measured about 4.2 ohms when completely full and about 85 ohms when empty.

My original 6v gauge worked ok, but the needle really moved all over and I wanted a smoother needle that was more accurate.

I had a Beetle gauge without the proper bus bezel which worked ok, but seemed cheap. I also bought the WW bus fuel gauge 12v for split bus.

The beetle gauge was more accurate, but no bezel. Now I have the WW on there which is higher quality but when completely full the gauge registers just a tad over 3/4 tank. And it hits the R at about 1/4 tank left.

So I bit the bullet and bought a Fuel Level Interface called MeterMatch which can map your ohm range from the sender to an ohm range that the gauge likes.

Anyone used one of these before? I have bought too many gauges and senders that just aren’t accurate, and so this should allow me to make it exact….

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tnk-tan-mm?seid...IIQAvD_BwE

Here is my 1966 Split Bus - Restoration Channel:
https://youtube.com/channel/UCPBRysmvrJlif2wzwEwiuwQ

2332 Torque Motor Build
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW_2wBCs4Ny2HwsKM9QT4LFpcSqP3QG0p

Engine Rebuild 1968cc Playlist:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW_2wBCs4Ny1JbZ2EgJQQ2awfo0koZRqz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Split Bus with Bay Fuel Tank - Fuel Gauge and Sender issues Reply with quote

I would like to "observe" how this FLI ends-up. Conversion or not, this could be the answer for a lot of us. I have replaced the chromium wires in a sender< no small task. I have also had new senders never work accurately once installed, but did fine dry tested. Most of the time I use mileage to more accuratley keep track of my gauge. Good luck.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Bus with Bay Fuel Tank - Fuel Gauge and Sender issues Reply with quote

I looked at the link and don't understand how it works.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Bus with Bay Fuel Tank - Fuel Gauge and Sender issues Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
I looked at the link and don't understand how it works.

Fairly simple how it does work, but does it work?
It is an adjuster/ohm adjuster according to a full or empty tank, and probably everything in between and since it is ohms, it runs on any voltage 6 or 12. I would guess the box sits in the tray area near the gauge.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Bus with Bay Fuel Tank - Fuel Gauge and Sender issues Reply with quote

Wonder if that could be used for vintage oil pressure or temp gauges to use modern senders.....
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Bus with Bay Fuel Tank - Fuel Gauge and Sender issues Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Wonder if that could be used for vintage oil pressure or temp gauges to use modern senders.....

Now that's a thought !!!! Good one.
What you mean is Accurate gauges, now who is gonna try it?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Bus with Bay Fuel Tank - Fuel Gauge and Sender issues Reply with quote

Where are the wire connections?
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Split Bus with Bay Fuel Tank - Fuel Gauge and Sender issues Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Where are the wire connections?
Here ya go Barry:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
works as an electronic resistor to drive your gauge to the desired reading. It treats the input and output entirely separately, so it doesn't care if the input to the gauge is scaled differently than the sender, or even if the sender signal is reversed - it can correct for that. you first set the sender to a known value. For example, fill your fuel tank. Set the MeterMatch to program mode, then with Up and Dn buttons, make your gauge read what you want for that sender value. When you are happy with that, press the Save button, and the value is
remembered in the MeterMatch. Do the same process with the sender reading a value near the other end of its range, and you are done. MeterMatch interpolates from these values to make the gauge read proportionately at values above, below, and between the calibration values. If you know the resistance of your sender, you can also calibrate to common values, even without the sender being at that specific resistance. Look at this !>The calibration data inside MeterMatch is stored internally in non-volatile memory that is maintained, even when power is removed.EQ. If this little box works, it sounds pretty damn good. All you have to worry about is the Chromium wires in the sender getting corroded. They say they even carry a Sender to fit the Buses,(maybe) but the Box should do the job.They make them in custom sizes also for the guy like me that needs a Bay tank to feed my 2332.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: