Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1957 Oval Euro Ragtop
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

I also had a chance to start working on my seat upholstery, also from WCC and it is AMAZING! The blue polka dot is turning out nice.

First off, I pulled my OG ones apart and found out that "Scholz" must have worked on my seat, because he had is name on a tag so I am precisely keeping that on the replacement seats. I'm doing WW seat pads that are on top of burlap. I also put a 1/4" strip of padding around the hair pads too like OG.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The real tricky part on these seems to be how the little divots are sewn into the seams, which my OG ones had the hair seat pad basically sewn into the seat cover in 6 spots, tied on the bottom. Here is my completed job and I think it turned out great for my first upholstery job!

Now time to do the other seat, seat backs, and rear seats!!
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

Looking good! Do you have a link for WCC, by chance? And do they do early beetles only? Looking for panels and seat upholstery for a '66 bug.
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

Here is the WCC website:

http://www.classicvws.com/index.htm

But now owned by Morrie from Silver Lining Restoration:

https://www.silverliningautorestoration.com/

They really do great work, but it will take some time since Morrie is taking over the reins and cleaning up some of the work that was way behind (mine included). They supply the seat/door panel sets to Wolfsburg West for the vintage cloth interiors too, just for reference from another website. I've done a couple interiors over the years through WCC and would recommend - and I only think it'll get better (although more $$) with new ownership. They are in the process of moving from California up to Silverton, OR too.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

Perfect - thank you!
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

Update after getting interior put together! Put in the gray/blue Wolfsburg West square weave carpet, OG floor mats with WW center tunnel mat, and WCC seat covers and door panels over WW seat pads. Overall I'm quite happen with how everything turned out! I didn't respray the interior at all, everything there is OG Horizon Blue paint. Everything else is about as 100% correct as I could get it, and now just need to wait for this rain/snow to stop in the PNW to get the car out for a drive! Oh and I guess I do have some NOS "VW-stamped" door sill plates I want to install because I think it dresses up the entrance into the car...

Door panels and front seats turned out pretty good, even sewed in the "dimples" into the lower seat covers myself!

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

Looking good!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Euro Ragtop Reply with quote

Thanks Jimbo! I e been watching your restoration too, VERY impressive!!

I took a few detail pics that I think are kind of cool. Just installed some ‘NOS’/New VW-marked door sill covers, and I also got a complete set of magnetic rings marking switches for headlights, wipers, choke, and stop/run/start in German since my car was originally Berlin-delivered. I’m keeping an eye out for an Eduard Winter dealership badge if anyone knows of any out there!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: