Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are all IRS transmissions the same?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dfrandsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Are all IRS transmissions the same? Reply with quote

I have an opportunity to purchase a rebuilt IRS transmission, but I don't want to go through a bunch of hassle to get the deal near done only to find out there is some odd configuration that won't allow it to simply bolt in in place of my used transmission. I have a 71 Super, and as of now the year of the rebuilt transmission is unknown. Anything somebody in my position should look for to avoid headache? I know it was rebuilt by the local "go to guy" and is a good unit, should it fit.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Are all IRS transmissions the same? Reply with quote

69-70 uses the older style TB although that wouldn’t be a deal killer for me. I’d also want 3.88. The tranny mounts are different on 73 up around that same time single side cover started. Around 1976 the case went to different design. Probably none of this will be a factor
dfrandsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Are all IRS transmissions the same? Reply with quote

very good to know, thanks!
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Are all IRS transmissions the same? Reply with quote

The real difference for mounting them would be that some have a 2 bolt nose cone and others have a3 bolt nose cone but all fit by simply using a 3 bolt adaptor plate or switching the nose cone out. Very simple procedure.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Are all IRS transmissions the same? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
69-70 uses the older style TB although that wouldn’t be a deal killer for me. I’d also want 3.88. The tranny mounts are different on 73 up around that same time single side cover started. Around 1976 the case went to different design. Probably none of this will be a factor

That's why I went through MoFoCo to buy a rebuilt transmission for my VW; no problem on getting the correct one, and it runs great (3.5 years now).
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Are all IRS transmissions the same? Reply with quote

Another small difference is the early IRS case is prior to the dog house cooling. The early pre dog house cooler trans case where near number three top bolt goes is machined for the bolt head, no insert. You may have to add the small peice in the trans case if used with the dog house style cooler.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
dfrandsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Are all IRS transmissions the same? Reply with quote

Yeah I've been curious about them and rancho. They both seem to be reputable sources.
dfrandsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Are all IRS transmissions the same? Reply with quote

This is all great info and exactly what I was looking for. Seems like it might be less of a headache to just get the one I know fits, with my current parts, rebuilt. Always great info here, I appreciate it!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: