Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OK to use this for front heater fan connection?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: OK to use this for front heater fan connection? Reply with quote

Hi folks.

I think the answer is "yes" but it'll be inside the heater box and the material is different than most white VW connectors....

Is this connector housing suitable to use for connecting the front heater fan? i.e. will it take the heat from wire and heater core?

This is the only VW type connector I can find in my VW heap O wires and stuff. Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: OK to use this for front heater fan connection? Reply with quote

VW has used them for decades.
I've seen some melted.

Honestly the health of your fan will affecr the load passing through.

As the fan ages, the bearings stiffen up and dirt accumulates until they barely spin at all.
If they are working it is with great resistance.

Yes, it will probably work fine if the fan, grounds and connections are fine.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: OK to use this for front heater fan connection? Reply with quote

If you use the male and female spade connectors then it is just an insulation so it is OK to use.
However I prefer the classic TE/AMP FASTIN-FASTON connectors
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402139449157
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: OK to use this for front heater fan connection? Reply with quote

Dave: ok thanks. I understand what you mean. The fan has low hours, still sounds fine. I'll sneak some oil (thicker oil like engine oil?) into the bearing.

ZsZ: Yes. That's the plan. And as your image shows, the male terminal locks into insulator. Hopefully, I'll find correct diameter wire, or larger, with factory crimped female terminals.

The connector I show may've been used for the Westfalia sink motor circuit.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: OK to use this for front heater fan connection? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

ZsZ: Yes. That's the plan. And as your image shows, the male terminal locks into insulator. Hopefully, I'll find correct diameter wire, or larger, with factory crimped female terminals.

Neil.

Both the male and the female terminals have the locking tabs to keep them in the insulator housings. On my pic they are just a tinned version of the copper ones on your pic.

I think the H shaped insulator/connector on your pic is used on the fridge mains connector.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: OK to use this for front heater fan connection? Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

Neil.

I think the H shaped insulator/connector on your pic is used on the fridge mains connector.

Ah, that may be Zoltan. I just recall seeing a connector like that under the sink area of my 1981 Westfalia.

I'm over thinking all this but doing this will be an improvement of my previous work.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: OK to use this for front heater fan connection? Reply with quote

If you use the external Jeep resistor, then I'd just run a full length of wire in to the fan, and thus reduce a junction that can loosen over time and create more resistance.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: OK to use this for front heater fan connection? Reply with quote

Thanks Casey. The Vanagon resistor is (was) mounted up near rad-headlight area so running wires straight from motor to box exterior makes sense; it's something I've considered.While converting from air to water cooled in 2008, I installed a connector at fan motor wires outside the box. The wires from the motor are somewhat short already but there should be enough to work with. As a side note, am thankful the "new" box had a Vanagon resistor. Maybe it's a good spare (untested).

I'll be doing this same job on my '88 soon. New motor. It has a male and female push connector right on the motor. Febi part. I'm thinking it might be best to strap the wires inside the box to keep those wire connectors from coming loose.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: OK to use this for front heater fan connection? Reply with quote

really going to a modern PWM fan speed controller will eliminate the heat and associated risks of the resistive model for speed control.
only 1 wire from the PWM controller to the fan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: OK to use this for front heater fan connection? Reply with quote

I like the PWM idea but in my case, trying to use up parts I have lying around. Gotta move pretty soon so am downsizing.

I should double check this but in regards to heat, IIRC, the insulated push type connectors I used on wires outside of box (to facilitate box removal) might've showed minor signs of heat. But, they had a layer of tape over them to make sure they stayed in place.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: OK to use this for front heater fan connection? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
....The Vanagon resistor is (was) mounted up near rad-headlight area so running wires straight from motor to box exterior makes sense; it's something I've considered.

So this is what I did. Soldered new #14 wires onto the motor wires which are #12 AWG it seems. Early Vanagons show #16 wires, #14 is what I had on hand.

The spot where the resistor was mounted made for a decent point to secure the wires inside the box.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: