Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake booster rebuild shop
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

Komet155 wrote:
Yes, I looked hard.

First of all,

here we fuckin go...

dude....i've been driving mk1's since you were shitting your diaper. second... cardone is iffy...but the one i posted is the one you need. look at the picture... that is the SAME FUCKING ONE in my truck right now.... from the SAME VENDOR. made by cardone and look, i'm still here Rolling Eyes i literally pulled it from my ebay history to post for you.

scroll down a bit and you'll see it installed

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=694220&highlight=sportruck

if your pockets are deep enough i have a NOS one i picked up not too long ago. 600 shipped and its yours

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
pgtips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

just jumping into this thread quickly , some nice boosters here. Does anyone have the size of the vacuum pipe i.e what ID vacuum pipe do I need that connects to the pipe. Is 16mm correct?

Trim ring info here -> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559668
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=451210
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479721
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

if you mean the one that supplies vacuum to the booster it's 12mm

the bigger vent hose coming off the front of the booster, i'd have to measure

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
pgtips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

Thanks, was the one that feeds Smile

Trim ring info here -> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559668
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=451210
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479721
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

pgtips wrote:
Thanks, was the one that feeds :-)

The air supply (not vacuum) nipple on the front of the booster is 14 mm on the late (?73-up) models,
and 17 mm on the early bays.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Komet155
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

I'm not going to bother discussing this further with you.
I know what I know, and and am not interested in your fascination with shitty diapers.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Komet155 wrote:
Yes, I looked hard.

First of all,

here we fuckin go...

dude....i've been driving mk1's since you were shitting your diaper. second... cardone is iffy...but the one i posted is the one you need. look at the picture... that is the SAME FUCKING ONE in my truck right now.... from the SAME VENDOR. made by cardone and look, i'm still here Rolling Eyes i literally pulled it from my ebay history to post for you.

scroll down a bit and you'll see it installed

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=694220&highlight=sportruck

if your pockets are deep enough i have a NOS one i picked up not too long ago. 600 shipped and its yours
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

Komet155 wrote:
...I was leaning toward's Karps...

We just got back from a four day trip over undulating grades on Pacific Coast Highway. 300+ miles there and back. Zero problems with the Karp's booster rebuild, and the booster they rebuilt for our 1973 Type 2 is still flawless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:

We just got back from a four day trip over undulating grades on Pacific Coast Highway. 300+ miles there and back. Zero problems...

Nice!!!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Komet155
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

That's good to know, thanks!

Wasted youth wrote:
Komet155 wrote:
...I was leaning toward's Karps...

We just got back from a four day trip over undulating grades on Pacific Coast Highway. 300+ miles there and back. Zero problems with the Karp's booster rebuild, and the booster they rebuilt for our 1973 Type 2 is still flawless.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

Nicholas D wrote:
I can't help you between Karp's and Prior as I got mine rebuilt through Brake Materials and Parts but I can say I think he did an excellent job on mine.

I second that. Over the years, they have rebuilt about 4 of these for me.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

Many of us have known Don (Skills) a long time. He is a valuable member, and tells it like it is. Attacking him over a bruised ego doesn't sit well with me, especially when he was just speaking straight up like he normally does.

Karp's did the one in a CJ7 I owned when I lived in Upland. The shop was clean and the unit done in a timely manner. That was 35 years ago and they are still around - that says something about their work.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

got a quote and was gonna send Crushers ‘76 servo out to Brake Materials and Parts for rebuild, but then just found that WW is selling their own new manufactured (not rebuilt according to their site) servos, for less then i can have this 45 year old one rebuilt.

i get the idea of og parts rebuilt are still better then new sometimes. was just curious if anyone has had success with NEW booster installation vs rebuilding og.

BM and P. @$300 all in shipping (rebuild)

WW. @ $200 all in shipping. (new)

theres no time rush on this item, so I wouldnt care if it took months to get mine repaired. just another item on the list to get done.

Is WW an actual manufacturer? As in, stamp, assemble, paint, test, etc, or do they have their parts sub’d out somewhere?

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

I believe the WW is made in China. I do know 1 person who has installed one and he hasn’t had any problems. But, it was recently installed so only time will tell. I sent my core to Bush Power Brake and they sent me one they had already rebuilt. Turn around time was a little over a week. For the extra $100 I’d go with the rebuilt factory unit. I mean we are talking about brakes here. What’s $100 these days? That’s like a tank of gas.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
Is WW an actual manufacturer?

Those came out quite some time ago.
The same booster is being sold by other vendors, all over the world,
and some ads indicate it's made in China. But for all we know, all the rebuilders are using
parts obtained from the same Chinese outfit that's making these new ones.
WW claims "made by WW" for a number of the parts they sell, but I'm not aware of them
having any manufacturing facilities.
Reviews have been mixed here on thesamba.com.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=583610

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

ok, thanks for that search link. I need to try harder when i search cause those 3 pages answered the questions I had. i kinda expected their stuff was sourced elsewhere as is most everyone these days. and as Rich mentioned, for an extra $100 wheres the worry.

im not interested in trying to save the $100, was just curious if a new unit would deliver the performance that I would expect. and its clear from the feedback, these WW units, would not.

thank you men. im back to my original plan to ship this og one out for rebuild. dont even know its condition as this rig is on jackstands and ive never run it, but im gonna play it safe and replace EVERYTHING in the brake system. its for my kid, so….

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
Jetfxr69 wrote:
Is WW an actual manufacturer?

Those came out quite some time ago.
The same booster is being sold by other vendors, all over the world,
and some ads indicate it's made in China. But for all we know, all the rebuilders are using
parts obtained from the same Chinese outfit that's making these new ones.
WW claims "made by WW" for a number of the parts they sell, but I'm not aware of them
having any manufacturing facilities.
Reviews have been mixed here on thesamba.com.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=583610
The brand is Airtec I believe. Mine went in just fine and works just fine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

the factory one in my '82 CJ7 (AMC bought from GM) went bad at 3 years and 80,000 miles. Karp's rebuilt it and it was still going strong at 10 years and 500,000 miles.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

Both WW boosters I installed in 2019 boosted so much the same car was almost undrivable. That tells me it's not a one-time issue. I kept one on hand to loan out to folks while they get their originals rebuilt.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Both WW boosters I installed in 2019 boosted so much the same car was almost undrivable. That tells me it's not a one-time issue. I kept one on hand to loan out to folks while they get their originals rebuilt.

Robbie

yeah - I remember the brake boosters on Cadillacs in the 70's. You breathed on them and the car skidded to a stop.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Brake booster rebuild shop Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:

Robbie

Thinking that through, there must be either a counter spring that is wrong or the vacuum is bled through some sort of limiting port that has to be matched. It’s a pretty simple device.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: