Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wagon progress update…getting closer!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Final primer applied. Finish line within reach! It’s so rewarding.

Bill
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

This is awesome. I can‘t wait to see it put together. It will surely be a head turmer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Nice!

Ray
Cees Klumper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Almost there!
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Wow! I'm jealous!
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Sweeet!!!! Shocked
Nice work done!

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Exciting! Hopefully coming home by the end of the week. Still have to install the fender seam moldings and finish polish. The maya gold metallic is like a gold nugget.

Bill

Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Ohh nice!!
Love that color Bill! Applause

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Cool
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Very nice! I had a four door of that color!

Can you give us some details of about what it costs for a paint job of that quality these days?

Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Ray,
I don’t have a total yet but will get back to you on that later. As you know a restoration like this isn’t just about the paint, but is the final step after all the prep work to massage out almost 50 years of use. The front fenders needed alot of love. The lower front corners had cancer so that meant a bunch of tricky metal work. The shop I chose was Automotive Images in Federal Way, Wa. because Brandon the owner is a metal magician! It is so important to have someone you can trust. It is not inexpensive but I am fully commited to do justice to this vehicle…just not many left after all these years.

Bill
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Here are the magicians that did all the hard stuff! 2nd photo is finally making it back home. Now a few months of work lie ahead. Fun stuff!

Bill

ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Wow! The paint came out amazing. It was worth the effort. I'm anxious to see it go back together.

For me, the wiring and the dashboard was the most challenging. The heater, engine and transmission combined was easier to refurb. It's great that you labeled everything, it will make life so much easier. I had to cobble together all the wiring diagrams available.

Love the color.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

That is one of the keys to an easier resto…label and bag everything even if you have to replace it. Want to be as close to factory as possible. I had to make a big decision on the window rubber. I did not remove the windows because I wanted to preserve the metal trim. I normally don’t do it this way. I was lucky there was absolutely no corrosion under the rubbers. The shop was able to lift and curl all the rubber to prime and paint underneath…made for alot of masking and remasking. It’s incredible the nice condition the rubber was in, so I went for it! Happy I did. So reproducing the carpet is the next big deal…the material is available. Not sure if I’m gonna do it myself. Just plugging away and having fun! Very Happy

Bill
NurseryWalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Well done Bill! I've been away from my project for about 3 weeks due to the flooding in our area. We are all fine. But the freeways were closed making it a long drive to get to work and to my car. You are moving in a positive direction...that is the fun part of the restoration. Keep up the good work. Look forward to seeing it in person some day.

W.Alt.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Glad you are ok. The flooding and amount of rainfall was crazy! We are lucky that we live 500 ft up on a hill. Believe me I was thinking about you during the storms.

Take care,
Bill
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
That is one of the keys to an easier resto…label and bag everything even if you have to replace it. Want to be as close to factory as possible. I had to make a big decision on the window rubber. I did not remove the windows because I wanted to preserve the metal trim. I normally don’t do it this way. I was lucky there was absolutely no corrosion under the rubbers. The shop was able to lift and curl all the rubber to prime and paint underneath…made for alot of masking and remasking. It’s incredible the nice condition the rubber was in, so I went for it! Happy I did. So reproducing the carpet is the next big deal…the material is available. Not sure if I’m gonna do it myself. Just plugging away and having fun! Very Happy

Bill

Lots of possible techniques on the carpet that are not stock...but near enough stock...the right things in the right places.

The tough part one might do themselves ....is to buy the carpet and fit and shape and mark it for cutting. Then take it out and get it "seamed". The other issue is a couple of molded on parts that really cannot be reproduced......like the heel pad....but could be salvaged and heat sealed or sewn on.

Or....you could "shave the carpet nap down where it goes ....then make a cheap cast of the heel pad and a couple of other parts and you could cast the part onto the location on the carpet with black urethane or silicone. Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

All my molded pieces such as the heel pad, the molded pieces around the openings are all in great shape. From what I can see these are probably heat glued into place which should be doable. I intend on using these original pieces. I find it amazing that these pieces are in such good condition especially the heel pad on a car that had 127,000 miles driven. Tough material!

Bill
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

I am much happier with the light bezel fit now. The ones you see mounted are the metal type and are the originals. They fit better and you can bend the metal a little to your liking. I made a mistake and went ahead and painted the plastic ones thinking they would be better. The plastic type droop accross the top and make for a bad sight line with the hood which you can see in the 3rd photo.. I have seen this droop on other 412s and it bothers me. Now I have to have the metal set painted. Oh well, just want to get it right.

Bill

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon progress update…getting closer! Reply with quote

While the plastic bezels warp the worst....the metal ones warp as well. Its usually in high heat areas. They are pot metal and the heat and being screwed down warp teh top edge.

But.....you can fix them really easily. Do not bend them. Or do not JUST bend them.

Take two blocks of hardwood......nice straight hardwood. I suppose you could use metal tube but two flat pieces of hard dry wood work best. Usually molding trim is good. Like 1.25" x 3/5" x about 10".

Place one on the top side inside the lip and underneath across teh 12 oclock position of both lights.. Use two small C-clamps and tighten it up until its straight.

Put them in the oven at about 250* F for about an hour then turn it off and let it cool down while clamped. They will be straight as an arrow!

Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: