Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Field find 1954 Canadian custom
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

The original pans have enough wrong with them to make repairing them more trouble than they are worth. This is a standard remember so the seat rails sit right on the pan. This stretches the metal under the rails and make little troughs where they sit. Also the pans have several stress fractures around the seat mounting bolts that can be welded up but will likely start cracking again as the metal is fatigued and brittle. Both sides at the back are paper thin and there are holes under the battery tray requiring a lot of metal replacement to fix. Finally Farmer Brown had glued fiberglass insulation to the underside of the heater channels and where it contacted the pan rails they are rotted away. All together too many repairs to make saving them worth it. Also I thought the KF panels would be much better than they are, I didn't want to spend $1000 getting them here and not use them. Finally I hope my experience will provide someone with the info they need to make a better choice.

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

2 1/2 hours later and 78 spot welds drilled out. I think those VW assembly people must have been paid piece work per spot weld.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Very, very, very nice! Man, you are just racing through it!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

I haven't had an early in, gosh, 45+ years. I think those posts for locating the floor mats are a great idea. Enjoying this thread immensely.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Hey thanks! Sometimes I wonder if anyone other that VW_Jimbo is watching.

Right now I am just puttering around with it. I bought an 16 x 1.5 tap and a 12 x 1.5 die and along with the 12 x 1.5 tap I already had I cleaned up all the front end and transmission mounts and bolts. The 2 cradle mounting bolts on the back were unusable, one had buggered threads and someone had tried to loosen the other with a pipe wrench so they had to go. I went into my stash of Big Bolts and found 2 labelled DORN with good threads, cleaned them up and ran my new tap into the bolt holes. With a bit of anti-seize the bolts spin in and out very smooth. I then cleaned all the schmutz off the horns and blew the old grease out of the E-brake conduits as well as the choke cable conduit. I still need to do the throttle and clutch conduits. Both the heater cable conduits are going to need replacing, which means flipping the chassis over and cutting it open. Not looking forward to that either.

On the front end I did the same with the 4 bolts there. A couple of them were rusted and one had badly buggered threads. Again into the Bucket O' Bolts for four labelled Kamax, not rusty, with good threads. Cleaned 'em up, ran a tap into the frame, a little anti-seize and Bob's your uncle. Then, same as the back, I scraped and scrubbed the schmutz off.

Jobs I am not looking forward to: 78 more spot welds to drill out, cutting through perfectly good metal to get at the heater cable conduits, cleaning the transmission, cleaning the front end, getting the 2 tight brake drums off.

Jobs I am looking forward to: Hmmm, driving the damn car.

Pictures at 11.

Don[/u]
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Hey, I'm still watching, I'm sure many others are too.

The edge holes on the new pan half are bizarre. If they had been drilled centered between the pressings, they probably would have been OK? Looks like the manufacturing process is unstable.

Could be me, but it looks like your commutator has been cut multiple times and is undersize. There is a minimum spec for commutator diameter but I don't have it handy at the moment. If the copper bars get too thin it won't last.

<LOL> I would trip over the exhaust pipe for sure, and probably end up in a hospital. Keep up the good work!
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Some more of that beautiful progress we love so dear.

Fitting the passenger side pan half took about 2 1/2 hours of very careful trimming to get it set up properly. The holes on this side seem a little better lined up.

Next up: 81 spot welds. Then we'll flip her over.

Don

Last edited by sunroof on Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Nice pans!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Some more of that good ole progress:

Flipped her over in preparation for cutting into perfectly good steel. I am already regretting this but I don't see another way.

Don
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Don,
I'm curious as to what and why you are cutting into the tunnel of the chassis for.
To me it looks in good condition. A little rust remediation and your good to go.

I admit that I haven't read through the thread. So this may be an issue that you have mentioned earlier.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

And can you point toward the heater conduit trouble spots??? (I'm not seeing the knob style port aside the shifter hole?)

I'm wondering if you couldn't even conduit thru the existing line with like a nylon style tubing?? (like copper re-lining your home plumbing?)

Any close up pics and/or details appreciated! Wink
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Once I get the bottom open I'll document the whole business. Basically both of the heater cables broke off inside the tubes. I did a foolish thing and cut off the heater knob part to try and get a grip on the cables. It did not work and I ended up just breaking the exposed cables off shorter and shorter till there was nothing left to grab onto. I filled the well with acetone and ATF and kept filling it for several weeks in an attempt to get the cables out. Even after a month of soaking, no luck. Now I am left to do butcher work. Pictures at 11.

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
Once I get the bottom open I'll document the whole business. Basically both of the heater cables broke off inside the tubes. I did a foolish thing and cut off the heater knob part to try and get a grip on the cables. It did not work and I ended up just breaking the exposed cables off shorter and shorter till there was nothing left to grab onto. I filled the well with acetone and ATF and kept filling it for several weeks in an attempt to get the cables out. Even after a month of soaking, no luck. Now I am left to do butcher work. Pictures at 11.

Don

Don, I replaced the heater cable tubes in my build. Check it out! Super easy. Not too bad of a job.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Quote:
Don, I replaced the heater cable tubes in my build. Check it out! Super easy. Not too bad of a job.

Will do!

Meanwhile... Jeez I hate butcher work. Of course the hear cable tubes look perfect on the outside. Lucky I kept a piece of steel tubing not knowing what I was going to need it for but it was too good to get rid of and now it is the perfect size.

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

It’s not “ butcher work”. It is called “access!” I get a lot of money because of access! Need to fix that under slab pipe......ACCESS! Pays very well!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
Hey thanks! Sometimes I wonder if anyone other that VW_Jimbo is watching.

Don[/u]

Hey, following along and cheering you on

Keep up the good work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

I am following too!

Looking forward to more!
Smile Smile Popcorn
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Long ago when I first started this build I began by doing things out of order. One of these mistakes I made was trying to get the heater cables out of their tubes. I could have left things alone but I got more and more frustrated and finally went too far and cut the spigot off trying to get at the cable to get a good grip on it. You can just see the cable end in this picture. Tonight it became time to correct that mistake. It began by excising the whole mechanism starting with the spigot.

Then the outlets

Finally the whole thing was free.

For some reason the draw was sticking inside the spigot and It was about an hour of careful grinding and sanding to get the mechanism working smoothly.

Once that was done it was time to weld things back together so I went to my plumbing box and got a length of copper pipe which fit just perfect I must say.

After welding and a little grinding with a carbide burr I am satisfied. It looks OK and works a treat.

Next up: replacing the tubes.

Don

Last edited by sunroof on Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:46 am; edited 3 times in total
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Not too bad of a job, was my take. Getting the ends back down into the horns was a different story. I ended up opening up some windows.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

The next thing was to cut off the old pipes and weld on the new pipes. Before I did that I made sure that the draw was right at the bottom and there was clearance between it and the pipe ends then I welded the whole thing back together.

Gee, I like welding on thick metal.

Then the outlets (I should have made up some copper plugs for these, I had to drill them out to get the cables in) and finally some paint.

Next comes the fun job of welding the bottom back on. Should go OK, nice thick, rust free metal.

Don
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 34

Jump to: