Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Buses and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2655, 2656, 2657 ... 2706, 2707, 2708  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

No one has yet complained that the metal bus body for sale, labelled 1956 - 60:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2510609
somehow lacks corner windows. I wonder if it is because that curved glass would be difficult to find. I do like the bigger window in the back hatch for visibility.

When I junked this 15 window years ago, I removed the corner windows and brought them back to the VW dealer in hopes someone could use them. That was in 1978 before the internet and before even the SOTO publication. They just seemed too unique to go to a wrecking yard.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ozark23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

"When I junked this 15 window years ago"
Can we just think on this for a minute......."When I junked this 15 window years ago,"
Times have changed!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

It’s bizarre. Why not just market it as as 1964-67 21 window?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

it is a high hinge small hatch body with 21 windows..... small hatch buses would all be 23 windows, and a 21 windows would be a wide hatch low hinge bus. yes, it is bizarre.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

That small hatch on a 21 looks like someone didn't do their homework Wink
I wonder what else is wrong at 35K.

Don66bus wrote:
No one has yet complained that the metal bus body for sale, labelled 1956 - 60:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2510609
somehow lacks corner windows. I wonder if it is because that curved glass would be difficult to find. I do like the bigger window in the back hatch for visibility.

When I junked this 15 window years ago, I removed the corner windows and brought them back to the VW dealer in hopes someone could use them. That was in 1978 before the internet and before even the SOTO publication. They just seemed too unique to go to a wrecking yard.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

it is a high hinge small hatch body with 21 windows..... small hatch buses would all be 23 windows, and a 21 windows would be a wide hatch low hinge bus. yes, it is bizarre.

Yeah I see it now.
Guess it would be easy enough to cut in corner windows. Maybe they just haven’t gotten around to making the frames like someone else suggested.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1973 Ghia convertible
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:

They are trying to sell a trademarked product on the internet for all to see and find. Maybe their lawyers can argue that the lack of corner windows makes it different enough, maybe VWs lawyers will bankrupt them in the process. Either way, they are playing with fire trying to sell a complete body shell like that.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulletBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

They are trying to sell a trademarked product on the internet for all to see and find. Maybe their lawyers can argue that the lack of corner windows makes it different enough, maybe VWs lawyers will bankrupt them in the process. Either way, they are playing with fire trying to sell a complete body shell like that.

I'm not sure what the difference is in that and a complete 356 you can buy except one is fiberglass and one is metal. Not to mention you can buy all the parts to make a green metal barndoor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

BulletBus wrote:
Lind wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

I'm not sure what the difference is in that and a complete 356 you can buy except one is fiberglass and one is metal. Not to mention you can buy all the parts to make a green metal barndoor.
Every vehicle that VW has ever produced is three dimensionally trademarked, and they have a legal department that actively looks on the internet for trademark infringements.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
BulletBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
BulletBus wrote:
Lind wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

Every vehicle that VW has ever produced is three dimensionally trademarked, and they have a legal department that actively looks on the internet for trademark infringements.

That's interesting. I'm curios to see how this plays out.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

while i get the whole trademark thing, these buses have not been sold since 1967. can't imagine VW is losing any money.
I personally see this as a very large spare part. then again i am not a lawyer.

You can buy complete 67 mustang bodies, camaros, chevelles, 78 firebirds, 3100 chevy pickups, complete bodys for jeeps, Toyota FJs, etc. officially licensed, too.

Uli

obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

similar tale:
https://www.motor1.com/news/506999/jeep-mahindra-thar-australia-lawsuit/
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
while i get the whole trademark thing, these buses have not been sold since 1967. can't imagine VW is losing any money.

You can buy complete 67 mustang bodies, camaros, chevelles, 78 firebirds, 3100 chevy pickups, complete bodys for jeeps, Toyota FJs, etc. officially licensed, too.
1975 in Brazil, but still over 45 years ago.

It seems to me like they should license it like many other car companies are doing. It is like free money for them, and it's not like there are going to be many less buses out there by them enforcing their trademarks, it will just be more expensive and inconvenient for the people who are making them. I think that they can apparently get around the trademark issues by selling them 90% or so assembled.
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Just another reason I don’t care much for 21/23 Deluxes. Way more around now than ever produced, I’ve always thought they’re overrated. I’d much rather have a sunroof Standard, SWR Kombi, 15 window... I’m sure millions would disagree.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

'64cal lookdub wrote:
Just another reason I don’t care much for 21/23 Deluxes. Way more around now than ever produced, I’ve always thought they’re overrated. I’d much rather have a sunroof Standard, SWR Kombi, 15 window... I’m sure millions would disagree.

let them. Smile sell me a crewcab, or a walkthrough panel, or narrow hatch kombi, 15 window, dormobile westy, something cool rather than shiny.

Uli

Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:

I've received intellectual property complaints from VW for selling bus silhouette shaped key hangers. No emblems, no words, nothing, just a 7" wide outline of a bus.

Slammed Thing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9278729#9278729
Lifted Split Bus Build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738403
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Ohio_Style wrote:
mandraks wrote:

I've received intellectual property complaints from VW for selling bus silhouette shaped key hangers. No emblems, no words, nothing, just a 7" wide outline of a bus.

i am not suggesting that they stopped or will stop, but licensing is possible. Just needs to be negotiated, by lawyers. So it has to make financial sense to both sides.
It is legal in the US to sell licensed reproduction bodies and make cars and sell them and drive them.

Uli

AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:

The facebook post mentioned the complete corner window panels will be available soon, since they were not available at the time of build they used what was.

I would rather have them honor their original advertising for complete single cab bodies for $15K. Home made BINZ anyone?!
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2488038

1960 double cab pick up the bastard Price: 125000

This is a beautiful truck, but the price? Wow!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2488038

1960 double cab pick up the bastard Price: 125000

This is a beautiful truck, but the price? Wow!

No slats, no bows, no canopy, no way.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1973 Ghia convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2655, 2656, 2657 ... 2706, 2707, 2708  Next
Jump to:
Page 2656 of 2708

Jump to: