Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia 62' project by #VWolfGarage
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DariuszPlich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia 62' project by #VWolfGarage Reply with quote

Sheet metal parts have arrived. Now I believe that we will manage to finish the project Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia 62' project by #VWolfGarage Reply with quote

probably the lower parts after the back wheels won't fit.at least they didn't fit on mine (63).they are the later type and you'll have to adapt them,not an easy job.

good luck anyway
DariuszPlich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia 62' project by #VWolfGarage Reply with quote

ELFRIED wrote:
probably the lower parts after the back wheels won't fit.at least they didn't fit on mine (63).they are the later type and you'll have to adapt them,not an easy job.

good luck anyway

Unfortunately, these are not the best repertories (Danish production). Unfortunately, in PL only this is in stores. After fitting, they come out wider at the bottom than the threshold. They should be narrower. I will have to cope somehow Smile
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia 62' project by #VWolfGarage Reply with quote

same here, bought at Paruzzi (Holland) I think there´s only one supplier over all.
tri356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia 62' project by #VWolfGarage Reply with quote

Wagner Blechteile doesn't make these parts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia 62' project by #VWolfGarage Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes, per his site- items ESAL1 and ESAR1; thru '66 with the "shorter" fenderwell contour. https://www.wagner-blechteile.de/produkte.html#
Those letters probably stand for Endspitze alt links/rechts (end tip old left/right).

The two which Dariusz bought might work; the bottom edge of the panel needs to be straight for a length of about 6-8" (~ 15 - 20 cm). Universal panels tend to not be straight along the bottom, but have a gentle upward curve. Not easy to see in his photo due to the shadow beneath. Here's a Press Photo of a '65 which would still have the same contour as on Dariusz' '62-
DariuszPlich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia 62' project by #VWolfGarage Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:

Yes, per his site- items ESAL1 and ESAR1; thru '66 with the "shorter" fenderwell contour. https://www.wagner-blechteile.de/produkte.html#
Those letters probably stand for Endspitze alt links/rechts (end tip old left/right).

The two which Dariusz bought might work; the bottom edge of the panel needs to be straight for a length of about 6-8" (~ 15 - 20 cm). Universal panels tend to not be straight along the bottom, but have a gentle upward curve. Not easy to see in his photo due to the shadow beneath. Here's a Press Photo of a '65 which would still have the same contour as on Dariusz' '62-
Could you please mark me the exact area that is different? Because I had a lot of putty applied and I honestly can't see the difference in the photos: /
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia 62' project by #VWolfGarage Reply with quote

Look here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=60
One picture from the topic that explains a lot:

Cheers

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
DariuszPlich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia 62' project by #VWolfGarage Reply with quote

TRS63 wrote:
Look here:https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697771&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60
One picture from the topic that explains a lot:
Cheers

Antoine

Ok thx, now I see which plate it is about Smile I thought the one with the hole for the torsion bar
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia 62' project by #VWolfGarage Reply with quote

That´s how I solved the problem too Antoine,not an easy thing for a beginner but sorted out well.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia 62' project by #VWolfGarage Reply with quote

Here you go, Dariusz. I took TRS63's photo, flipped it horizontally so that it matches the orientation of the Ghia press photo, and added some lines to show the edge contour difference.

Using the 1965 Ghia Coupe press photo from my post above, I indicated the relatively straight section of the bottom edge of the rear fender between the orange vertical lines. Many aftermarket rust repair patch panels like the ones you now have use a curve (blue dotted line) that comes back from the wheelwell edge starting higher up, and makes a gentle curve along the bottom edge. Such a curved panel is more appropriate for a '67 and later Ghia on which the rear portion of the wheelwell curved back more. The bottom curve is shaped after the '72 thru '74 Ghias.

On the right top is the inside of such a patch panel; left edge points frontward. The dotted blue line follows the gentle curve along the bottom edge. At right bottom is a piece cut from an original German fender from approx. '60 thru '66 model years. The straight bottom edge is indicated between the orange vertical lines.

You could probably easily rework the bottom edge of your patch panels to at least have the same straight section as the factory original one. You'll also need to drill the hole for the 8 mm bolt that holds the front end of the bumper side blade to the body.
DariuszPlich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia 62' project by #VWolfGarage Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Here you go, Dariusz. I took TRS63's photo, flipped it horizontally so that it matches the orientation of the Ghia press photo, and added some lines to show the edge contour difference.

Using the 1965 Ghia Coupe press photo from my post above, I indicated the relatively straight section of the bottom edge of the rear fender between the orange vertical lines. Many aftermarket rust repair patch panels like the ones you now have use a curve (blue dotted line) that comes back from the wheelwell edge starting higher up, and makes a gentle curve along the bottom edge. Such a curved panel is more appropriate for a '67 and later Ghia on which the rear portion of the wheelwell curved back more. The bottom curve is shaped after the '72 thru '74 Ghias.

On the right top is the inside of such a patch panel; left edge points frontward. The dotted blue line follows the gentle curve along the bottom edge. At right bottom is a piece cut from an original German fender from approx. '60 thru '66 model years. The straight bottom edge is indicated between the orange vertical lines.

You could probably easily rework the bottom edge of your patch panels to at least have the same straight section as the factory original one. You'll also need to drill the hole for the 8 mm bolt that holds the front end of the bumper side blade to the body.
Super, now everything is clear: D Thank you very much for the thorough explanation of this issue. I will have to redo it, I will report to my friend who is a professional brat.
DariuszPlich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia 62' project by #VWolfGarage Reply with quote

Today, a few steps forward again.

DariuszPlich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia 62' project by #VWolfGarage Reply with quote

I drilled the old heating duct, it turned out that I still had to cut a little more. Now there is nothing left. And how to put it together now ?? Any advice? I guess I have to replace the floor and make a fit?
The purchased channel also fits poorly and is made as in the 68' years. I separated the front part from the back part. I got the inner sheet as in the year of 62 '
It's a bit too much for me Crying or Very sad
I hope I can do it somehow. I go through all the topics on the forum and I follow them.

ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia 62' project by #VWolfGarage Reply with quote

I know it´s too late but next time-if there will be a next time- take the effort to buy a ghia in the States.
I bought a much better 63 ghia and even with transport and custom costs for Belgium I think , for a much better price.
I´d never buy a car here in Europe.See Vlad´s story too.
Or they are in a worse state or the people who transport them from the States make a lot of profit from it.
Technically I did some panel welding too but this would also be beyond my skills.
Good luck anyway...
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia 62' project by #VWolfGarage Reply with quote

ELFRIED wrote:
I know it´s too late but next time-if there will be a next time- take the effort to buy a ghia in the States.
I bought a much better 63 ghia and even with transport and custom costs for Belgium I think , for a much better price.
I´d never buy a car here in Europe.See Vlad´s story too.
Or they are in a worse state or the people who transport them from the States make a lot of profit from it.
Technically I did some panel welding too but this would also be beyond my skills.
Good luck anyway...

I’ve bought seven Ghias in the last two years and all of them are rusty except two 74 convertibles and they are all California cars except one. I can’t imagine buying one that has spent its life on the road in Europe or the East Coast of the US. There are so many cavities in these cars to trap moisture that it’s almost like they were designed to rot away.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia 62' project by #VWolfGarage Reply with quote

indeed,

I bought mine in the Northern part of the State of Washington ,asked a lot of fotos ,asked a lot of questions did a lot of searching here on the samba and as I had a good feeling I jumped.

Perhaps I was just lucky...
vanagonswede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia 62' project by #VWolfGarage Reply with quote

I'm sorry to see you got that danish metal that doesn't fit well. Many of the parts are for newer models.

You got Fred Bouillon in france that makes all the parts you bought. I saw you on the french forum. He is there too. And on facebook. He has made much metal for the french cars. Search for Fred Bouillon atelier k.
And as someone mentioned before Wagner blechteile makes some parts too.

Good luck with the car Very Happy
DariuszPlich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia 62' project by #VWolfGarage Reply with quote

Now it's too late for new parts. I spent the whole salary Smile Now I have to treat. The problem is bigger for me because I am not a car tinsmith and there is more pain in the reconstruction.
Should I now turn the floor over to put it back together well?
DariuszPlich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia 62' project by #VWolfGarage Reply with quote

Today I took apart those Danish mismatched channels. Then I recovered the threaded plates from the old channels. Everything before assembly is painted with copper for welding. Before closing, I painted with epoxy. I adjusted the side of the sewer to the floor and marked the holes.
then I rolled everything to the floor and welded it. I think it worked. Now, the other side and I will fit the body. All week I thought how to do it and browsed the forums about topics from KG restaurant Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: