Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

"things that could have been brought to my attention YESTERDAY!!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

haha, well the threads would be metric so there's that..
but it's likely the holley sensor has a GM temp graph, and could source a metric version of such.

but you can add an oil temp sensor/gauge there Wink

I did want to bring it up for 'the record' if someone else is following your greatly detailed work but not comfortable drilling & tapping into the case there. it's a very tight/precise spot for your temp sensor hole to work out. or if the engine is still in the bus..

keep on the good work here Andrew, I'm very much interested in how this holley sniper works out.. to me it's a game changer over OEM or Carbs in any vintage VW. even the WBX could possibly be adapted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

Thanks Dan, you're welcome to stop by and take it for a drive once I get it up and running when you are in the area.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PatrickK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

I've recently started researching EFI options and Holley Sniper for my '72 Bus. Seems like the way to go from what I've found so far, albeit with some customization. I currently have a Weber 32/36.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

Well the engine is up and running on my engine stand. To get the initial set-up on the Holley Sniper you need to enter specs on your engine, displacement, number of cylinders, what model Snper you have, is the cam stock or performance. I entered the model, 4cyl, 1800, and stock cam. I went for the initial start up and it looked like Niagara Falls with all the fuel it was dumping into the throttle body, enough to hydro lock the engine!
After some time I realized that they were looking for cubic inch, not cubic centimeters! I guess it thought I had hooked it up to a 4cyl top fuel dragster or something.
I have been playing around with the adjustments and temp sensors. If you look back, I set it up to use the oil as the coolant temp and put the cts in the bottom of my engine. I found that I could use the cylinder head temp sensor from an injected bus and it reads the Sniper reads the temp properly.
I will be posting a video soon.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

that's fuckin sweet!

as an aside, the mexibug uses a temp sensor in the head. i want to say it was a 2 wire, but can't recall.

may be an option if needed.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
that's fuckin sweet!

as an aside, the mexibug uses a temp sensor in the head. i want to say it was a 2 wire, but can't recall.

may be an option if needed.

Thanks Skills, good to know. I seem to remember that there was an extension piece that you could use to extend the temp sensor away from the head a little bit. Maybe used as a recall or service fix, anyone know the part number? It could be useful in my testing.

*EDIT the part number is 022133079, Now who knows why it was needed?
jeb1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

The spacer is used for performance issues during engine warm up.

https://www.ratwell.com/technical/TempSensorII.html
Gr0unded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

Subscribing to this thread. I, too, am very curious how this is working out for you.

Stop Dead Photo Links! Post your VW photos to the Samba Gallery!
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

I've got probably about 6-7 hours of running time on the engine in the stand with the Holley EFI system. I'm not thrilled with it.
To be honest, it would have been much quicker and easier to just source the complete EFI from a late Bay bus and put that on.
To be really honest, I wish I had dumped this engine and spent the time doing an engine conversion.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

Shocked

that sucks

i have seen a bunch of videos on this system, every install had an issue, but was sorted in time

what is the issue?

i have to wonder if lack of a coolant sensor is an issue. just a WAG here, but i bet it runs good cold and gets fatter and fatter as it runs

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history

Last edited by skills@eurocarsplus on Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

Does the Sniper have self learning from the O2 feedback etc ?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

..........................I am not totally giving up on it yet, I am just saying that there are issues. Like- right now it has sat all night in my shop and every part of the engine is 41*F but if I power the EFI up it says the coolant temp is 62*F. It never seems to show anything colder than that and I have tried multiple sensors. If you hold it at a high RPM (about 3k) for a minute or so and then let off the throttle it tends to stick the IAC at 20% and if you do a google search of it, you'll see it is a very common issue with these Snipers. It seems to be very inefficient at least at idle, I have burned through close to 10 gallons of gas, I really have not measured the consumption, just seems like it uses a lot more than I would have expected). When it is idling, the jets kinda just allow the fuel to run down the throttle body and puddle on the throttle plate and then I assume run down the intake runners. Port injection just seems so much better with the injector spraying a mist right at the intake valve. It will sometimes just decide to stall for no reason that I have found as of yet, still working on that one.

......................... What I like about it- I still think it is a really cool thing. The way it is entirely self contained. The ECM, throttle body, TPS, MAP sensor, IAT sensor, Idle control, fuel pressure regulator, etc is all in one. I really wish that Holley offered this with an option for port injection.

.............................What I could have done for about the same amount of money- buy an adapter plate from Kennedy $650, buy this 2014 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0L Engine Motor 4cyl 85K (https://www.ebay.com/itm/313820829804?fits=Make%3AVolkswagen&hash=item49112dd86c:g:UUQAAOSw-bhh1b93) for $266, this wire harness...(https://www.ebay.com/itm/234312233215?hash=item368e18f0ff:g:LGYAAOSwoT1hpoOX) for $140, and this ECM (https://www.ebay.com/itm/153803821060?fits=Make%3AVolkswagen&hash=item23cf6c1004:g:j4MAAOSwlPFeJlqV) for $66 and fabricate an engine mount and put that in my Bay. Obviously it would aslo need a cooling system but I have done that before and can easily duplicate it for a few hundred dollars.
These 2.0 engines that I linked above are identical to the ones used in the MK4 VWs, you can buy them for almost nothing and it is very easy to power them up using the MK4 wire harness and ECM. It is probably the most reliable VW engines they sold. When I wanted to build a whole-house generator as a back up to solar on my off-grid house I this exact thing. It is extremely quite, remote start, reliable, and seems to be very effient.

EDIT- Obiviously I realize there is going to be much more requried than what I listed to do an engine conversion- I am just pointing out that I could have put that money toward a conversion and gotten that much stuff toward a conversion to an engine that will probably will be way more reliable.

Last edited by xoo00oox on Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

What do you use for manifold preheat or am I missing something?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

Rich Latsch wrote:
What do you use for manifold preheat or am I missing something?

Nothing as of yet. I do have a air filter box wit a thermostatic flapper and intend to duct it to the warm air source that the stock '72 air filter used.
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

Without heat those runners are probably very cold. I'm curious what the manifold temp is directly under the efi unit. Sounds like the same issue a single carb has.

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

crownline wrote:
Without heat those runners are probably very cold. I'm curious what the manifold temp is directly under the efi unit. Sounds like the same issue a single carb has.

Agreed. These would not be issues with port injection.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

Here is the engine I spoke of, 2015 Jetta 2.0 SOHC

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

Need upside down U shaped boxes that sit on top of the runners and trap heat rising from the case. You could emulate that just by throwing some old towels over the top of the runners to trap heat rising and see if that improves things.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper 2GC (550-865) EFI kit install thread on my '72 Bay Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Need upside down U shaped boxes that sit on top of the runners and trap heat rising from the case. You could emulate that just by throwing some old towels over the top of the runners to trap heat rising and see if that improves things.

Being that my bus is a '72, I have a source for warm intake air. While I think it may help a bit on a very cold day once the engine is warm, I doubt it will make too much of a difference. Hopefully it will keep the intake from icing up during very cold days.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: