Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

from Silver to ? - a '78 Westy refresh story...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLVRSRFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: from Silver to ? - a '78 Westy refresh story... Reply with quote

crownline wrote:
Beautiful. Now you need a lexan deck lid. Cool

and underglow - fast and furious style... !!

Mberglo wrote:
This is the nicest bus restoration I've seen. You are extremely detailed and it shows. Your bus is going to be a showstopper. I don't think I could drive it after what you've done.

Thank you! I really did not mean for the resto to get this in depth - a quick paint job is what I was thinking... We used the bus a ton before doing this work - I'm worried about being paranoid about driving it when I'm done, but I'll have to get that out of my mind!

Globespotter wrote:
Fantastic work! The original silver was unique and looked nice, but your bus is looking awesome! I used to live in Guelph - my youngest daughter was born there. Nice city. I miss it.

Thanks! Guelph is great - awesome town to raise kids...

'78 westy, '64 sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: from Silver to ? - a '78 Westy refresh story... Reply with quote

Amazing work you are doing here, thanks for sharing it. I like the new/old color much better, for some reason I always thought metallic colors looked out of place on the Bays.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: from Silver to ? - a '78 Westy refresh story... Reply with quote

I've done rotisserie restorations before, and it's heartbreaking for it to start showing wear from using it. But I've never been one to trailer a vehicle. It requires some forethought of when and where you drive the vehicle after you put that much work into it.
SLVRSRFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: from Silver to ? - a '78 Westy refresh story... Reply with quote

Making progress slowly but surely...

I have finished re-covering and installing a few of the cabinets, some of the wall panels, and the new carpet.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Currently working on the rear bench - I disassembled the bench/bed hinges and had them blasted and powder coated - I then put them back together - hand hammered the rivets.

I also made up some new latch components - laser cut them out of hardened steel and had new stepped rivets machined up (and plated)

Tried my hand at re-upholstery - coming out pretty good so far...

'78 westy, '64 sedan
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: from Silver to ? - a '78 Westy refresh story... Reply with quote

Hey Brian, what kind of tape did you use on the back of the seat?
SLVRSRFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: from Silver to ? - a '78 Westy refresh story... Reply with quote

dodger tom wrote:
Hey Brian, what kind of tape did you use on the back of the seat?

I used "cloth book binding repair tape" - Amazon has it in 1" and 2" wide rolls.

I think the original stuff was 1" wide, but the 2" helped me cover old staple holes etc...

'78 westy, '64 sedan
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: from Silver to ? - a '78 Westy refresh story... Reply with quote

Thanks. I tried Gorilla tape, but it hasn't stuck very well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: