Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stagewex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

Posted my first in the Stupid Questions thread but have a definitive non-stupid answer if you happen to be in the market for a set of new tires right now.

First choice was the Michelin XZX165R15. Those are out of stock and not available from Coker until late Feb. 2022. 500 are expected in that delivery. Proprietory I suppose to Coker, TireRack does not sell or offer them at all.

Second choice based on rating and recommendations from other VW owners was the Vredestein Sprint Classic 165R15. TireRack does not have them in stock either with again, a Feb. 2022 shipment expected. That's gotta be some big cargo shipment from Europe on it's way on a slow boat!

But... Coker does have the Vred's, in fact 86 of them in their Chattanooga Warehouse as I write this. Hmmm, make that 82, minus the four (4) I just ordered.

Differences Speed Ratings:
Michelin (France) is an "S" rated tire= 112mph sustained speed.
Vredestein (Holland) is a "H" rated tire= 130mph sustained speed.

Differences Load Ratings:
Michelin (France) is 1168lbs. per tire, 4672 total load rating for all four.
Vredestein (Holland) is 1080lbs. per tire, 4320 total load rating for all four.

I found it interesting that the "H" rated Vred's had the higher speed rating yet had a lower load rating. Not sure if that's the same across the board with all tires of any make or size? In any case the speed rating is NA for me, my stock Beetle will never achieve these speeds and even if it could, I don't drive like that (I want to be able to STOP too). You have a true vintage Sports car like a Jag or TR6 or other older Euro auto perhaps that matters to you. Or if you are building some sort of modified Bug/Beetle.

Same with the load ratings. If I could get enough people and other crap in the car (plus the weight of the car itself)... definitely NA.

These were not the only tires that fit our cars not in stock, just the ones I was interested in. Perhaps has something to do with the Global supply problem though I'm not sure how much more you can blame on that and COVID. I get the "chips" for new cars, especially if you go down to you local new car dealers and see semi-empty lots of certain brands. But tires... I suppose it all trickles down?

Back to the Vreds and Coker, they have them, at least now. Cheers
FlyAU98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

I've been real happy with the Nexen SB802 (165/80R15) tires I bought last year.
https://www.nexentireusa.com/tires/sb802

Made by our friends in Korea.
Well priced at around $80 each.

They did not fit in my '72 Super Beetle's spare tire well though. I thought they might be a little too big, so I only ordered 4 and test fit it...and ended up with the slightly smaller diameter BF Goodrich tire for the spare.

I don't intend on going 113MPH 'Shocked'
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

Tire Rack is showing that they have Vredestein Sprint Classic 155 SR 15 in stock (165 out of stock).
I put a set of the 155s on my '66 a few months ago and they are a great tire.
stagewex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Tire Rack is showing that they have Vredestein Sprint Classic 155 SR 15 in stock (165 out of stock).
I put a set of the 155s on my '66 a few months ago and they are a great tire.

Yes, I saw that. But for a '73 SB the size is 165R15 and they don't have them as you noted. Some time in Feb.
Glad to hear you are happy with them (the brand) though. Mine ship tomorrow and should be here by or before next weekend. Thanksgiving may delay.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

I don't necessarily want to over complicate it but.... should include.... what size wheels you have.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

modok wrote:
I don't necessarily want to over complicate it but.... should include.... what size wheels you have.

Mine are 15 inch.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

?
....... get 4.5-5 wide in the front,5-5.5 in the rear.
ProContact TX 165/65 front, 185/65R15 rear

Last edited by modok on Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

BF Goodrich Radial T/A comes in 155/80-15 which could fit OE 4" wheels.
Tho I'd not be excited about it, most of the vintage tires have vintage performance to match.
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

YOu can get the Michelins from England with free shipping. I just got some.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/165sr15-michelin-xzx.html
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

modok wrote:
?

Where can you get the Continentals in the 165/15 size?? Those would be my first choice but I have never been able to find them.

EDIT- sorry I see you said 165/65 not 165/15.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

stagewex wrote:

I found it interesting that the "H" rated Vred's had the higher speed rating yet had a lower load rating. Not sure if that's the same across the board with all tires of any make or size? In any case the speed rating is NA for me, my stock Beetle will never achieve these speeds and even if it could, I don't drive like that (I want to be able to STOP too). You have a true vintage Sports car like a Jag or TR6 or other older Euro auto perhaps that matters to you. Or if you are building some sort of modified Bug/Beetle.

The higher speed/lower load rating could be because a higher speed increases heat/decreases load capacity. Not 100% sure how that is calculated though. I don't drive the bug fast or far so Nexens work just fine for me.
Off topic, on the jetta and bimmers, I like the Z rated michelin pilot sports not because I drive 150mph but because they're heavier duty (almost a full pound heavier) than the H rated version of the tire for about $15 more. I live in the west and 500-1000-2000 mile trips are routine and you spend a lot of time out in BFE; better tires are one thing to worry less about. I think between all the cars, I've gone through 5 or 6 sets of the pilot sports with zero problems except a puncture or two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
modok wrote:
?

Where can you get the Continentals in the 165/15 size?? Those would be my first choice but I have never been able to find them.

EDIT- sorry I see you said 165/65 not 165/15.
They are for sale in Europe, the CT22 tire. 165/80/r15 I'm looking at a set myself and need to check on shipping costs. There's a company in Germany that offers them in the 10mm white stripe like was offered in the mid to late 70's. I'd love a set but they are $$$ Wish I could find someone stateside who could vulcanize them to a blackwall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

FlyAU98 wrote:

They did not fit in my '72 Super Beetle's spare tire well though. I thought they might be a little too big, so I only ordered 4 and test fit it...and ended up with the slightly smaller diameter BF Goodrich tire for the spare.

I have the Nexens. Great tire. Going on 3 years with my daily driver and they still look great. Good in the rain and snow too. Evidently the plant in Korea is state of the art.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

FlyAU98 wrote:

I'm surprised they don't fit. My '75 super came with 6.0-15 bias plys. In my experience they are slightly taller than the 165r15s that I've seen. Any chance your car was hit at some point?
stagewex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

The Vred's arrived yesterday. Had my local shop mount & balance them. 75 mile roundtrip to and from Thanksgiving Dinner. Very nice feel from the steering wheel to the tires. Figure 200+ miles to fully break them in.
The tread in person surprised me. Seemed less aggressive in the pictures. I think I'll be happy with these.
I only got four (4). I want to make sure they do fit in the spare tire location in the trunk before I swap out the old spare. Pretty sure they will since they seem to be the original size indicated for a '73 SB. And man... they really are pretty thin looking. But ya never know.

Hats Off to Coker Tire and the service tech (Chris) I spoke to over the phone. Guy had all the answers and the shipping was super fast. I've has the same experience with TireRack but alas... they just didn't have any of these tires (Michelins or the Vred's) in the size I needed.

Happy Thanksgiving y'all.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
stagewex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

I've got close to 200 miles on these Vredestein's now so kinda "broken-in" in my book.
Very nice if you like a tire and size actually designed for a stock beetle.

My bugs suspension and shocks need updating but not so much that I can't start pushing these a bit into the corners and turns.

Almost reminds me of a snow tire, but they are not:

Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

What does the snowplow driver drive to work? a VW Beetle if he wants to get there, those would do fantastic in snow.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
What does the snowplow driver drive to work? a VW Beetle if he wants to get there, those would do fantastic in snow.

Not sure I'd say fantastic, but they do well enough. Wink

I have almost 34k miles on these tires so far in all types of driving and weather, really no complaints.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

I love the Vreds, very nice tire. Took 'em across the country and back in 2019, and they gave some nice sporty handling on U.S. 2 in Montana!

Very happy with them; will buy again when I wear the current set out.
stagewex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Tires and Availability Now in Fall 2021 Reply with quote

That's all good to hear. I have to admit that the only reason I ever even heard of this brand is because of owning a Beetle. And that's pretty darn recent.
Not at least for me, an off-the-shelf tire you'd see at your local tire store.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: