Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper blade adapters for 7mm J hook found - thanks 60ragtop!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maltboy!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Wiper blade adapters for 7mm J hook found - thanks 60ragtop! Reply with quote

Does anyone know who makes wiper blades or blade adapters to fit 7mm wide J-hook arms? It looks like everything is 9mm. I couldn't find any good answers on the forum.

UPDATE - Bosch doesn't make adapters for 7mm J hook arms anymore.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A SET THEY'D BE WILLING TO PART WITH?

Last edited by Maltboy! on Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:57 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper blades for 7mm J-hook arms Reply with quote

Bosch micro edge- should have the right adapter included
just enter your year for proper fit
https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/BS-3397118800
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maltboy!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper blades for 7mm J-hook arms Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
Bosch micro edge- should have the right adapter included
just enter your year for proper fit
https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/BS-3397118800

I have a set of the 40715 micro-edge blades. They say they will work but they are for a 9mm wide hook or a 7mm bayonet, but not a 7mm hook. They are factory arms with the VW logo, different lengths with L/R markings.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Maltboy! on Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper blades for 7mm J-hook arms Reply with quote

A couple years ago I bought a couple sets of Bosch micro edge Unlike ye ole days they didn't come with the correct adapter for bugs. I've been re-using the old ones.
Maltboy!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper blades for 7mm J-hook arms Reply with quote

I called Bosch Automotive CS. Great service and nice folks! The bad news is that Bosch no longer makes blades that will fit factory 7mm J hooks. The AutohausAZ application guide is incorrect, as are a few others.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Need adapters for 7mm J hooks Reply with quote

I would keep your current wiper blades and just get wiper blade refills and insert those, like folks did in the good old days. Search Google.
https://www.google.com/search?q=wiper+blade+refill...nt=gws-wiz

Do VW parts suppliers like JBugs, WW, no longer offer these????
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Need wiper blade adapters for 7mm J hook arms Reply with quote

what size blades to you need?
I just installed Trico 11" on my 70 bug and they have all the right adopters included.
I have extra adapters I've been hording for years.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Need wiper blade adapters for 7mm J hook arms Reply with quote

It's getting darn near impossible for ANY make to get just the rubbers.

I suspect a lawsuit filed by someone who fouled up the installation resulted in a "never again" solution of only selling the whole assembly. Dealers especially. I have been able to find them online, though even that is getting harder. My last Toyota set came from Japan.
Maltboy!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Need wiper blade adapters for 7mm J hook arms Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
what size blades to you need?
I just installed Trico 11" on my 70 bug and they have all the right adopters included.
I have extra adapters I've been hording for years.

As long as they will go on a 7mm J-hook arm they should work. Check out the pics above. The SB uses 15" blades because of the curved windshield, but the adapter should work for any length blade, right?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Need wiper blade adapters for 7mm J hook arms Reply with quote

1. Re-purchasing wiper blade assemblies each time seems like a terrible waste, ecologically speaking.

2. My 1971 Convertible ("flat" windshield Super) takes 10" wiper blades.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Maltboy!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Need wiper blade adapters for 7mm J hook arms Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
1. Re-purchasing wiper blade assemblies each time seems like a terrible waste, ecologically speaking.

2. My 1971 Convertible ("flat" windshield Super) takes 10" wiper blades.

I agree 100%. Unfortunately the old ones were all bent up. The "adapters" were permanently riveted to the blades, so I have to replace those too. They may have been factory.

It looks like all the flat window bugs take 10". These are 15" because of the curved windshield.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Need wiper blade adapters for 7mm J hook arms Reply with quote

Maltboy! wrote:
Cusser wrote:
My 1971 Convertible ("flat" windshield Super) takes 10" wiper blades.

It looks like all the flat window bugs take 10". These are 15" because of the curved windshield.

I believe that the 1968-1977 standard flat windshield sedans take 11 inch wiper blades. I don't know about pre-1968.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Need wiper blade adapters for 7mm J hook arms Reply with quote

Pelican parts has SWF-Valeo wiper blade inserts 22" $7.75 just cut to size.
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Need wiper blade adapters for 7mm J hook arms Reply with quote

If you can find a shorter blade that fits, you may try those.

There are some who run blades shorter than 14" on the CURVED Supers.
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Need wiper blade adapters for 7mm J hook arms Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited by OTTO 1303 on Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Need wiper blade adapters for 7mm J hook arms Reply with quote

Maltboy , what year is your car and can you get a picture of what you have .
Maltboy!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Need wiper blade adapters for 7mm J hook arms Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice everyone. 60ragtop generously offered to send a couple of adapters that should work.
Maltboy!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Need wiper blade adapters for 7mm J hook arms Reply with quote

vwoldbug wrote:
Maltboy , what year is your car and can you get a picture of what you have .

76 SB vert. Do you mean pictures of the old blades? Unfortunately, they're long gone. The j-hook is posted above.
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper blade adapters for 7mm J hook found - thanks 60ragtop! Reply with quote

Oreilly auto parts has inserts for the old blades. I did buy longer inserts and cut them short after installing them into the old blade frames. Sure it does not help if you ave no old blade.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: