Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Loose bolt from negative battery
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lunohod1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Loose bolt from negative battery Reply with quote

While working on the bus I found that the bolt is loose, and might cause some sparks if I won't be able to screw it:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Seems the nut is on, but I have access only from one side. So can't really screw that nut. From inside the bus it's not accessible due to some cabinets installed. I'm actually wondering if cabinets removal would help to tighten this bolt and I can get access?

Gorilla-taped for now over it, but need a better solution. Looking for your advice.

Other pics for context:

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose bolt from negative battery Reply with quote

Sounds as if the thread of the bolt or the body is stripped. Have you tried another M8x1.25 bolt? Start with the easiest trouble shooting methods first. The body if stripped, may need to be tapped for a larger thread pitch.

Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose bolt from negative battery Reply with quote

Looks like a job for a blind rivet nut.

PS: Nice bus!

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose bolt from negative battery Reply with quote

You have access through the plate just to the left in the photo. It's there to access the fuel tank fill neck & clamps.
I'd get a long metric stud, & three nuts for it. One for inside, one to lock the stud firmly in place on the outside facing the battery as a fixture point for the third nut.
Not like from the factory fifty years ago, but it will result in a sturdy chassis ground for another forty years. Seems every modern auto has a tapered ground stud somewhere near the transaxle mounting flange, might as well join the club!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose bolt from negative battery Reply with quote

Placing your fuel pump next to an ignition source seems like poor planning to me. A better place is just inside the left rear tire, on the frame, forward of the firewall. It’s cool and well vented there
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose bolt from negative battery Reply with quote

I think you found your starting problem. Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose bolt from negative battery Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I think you found your starting problem. Wink

Seriously!

That ground bolt needs to be tight or you will have all kinds of electrical problems.

You can gain access to the back side of that panel by removing the round panel circled in the photo below.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose bolt from negative battery Reply with quote

make sure that is a m8 x 1.25 bolt. Looks sort of suspect to me. The threads on the nut could be damaged too. There isn't a nut on the other side that you can grab with a wrench because it should be a welded on nut. However as the prior post shows, you can get access thru the cover which pops off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: