Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New key doesn't work.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: New key doesn't work. Reply with quote

Since I have only one key for my '67 Euro bug I bought this (code K) blank:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I went to a local shop and let the guy make a copy from my original key.
I thougt modern machines would make a perfect copy, but the guy told me it might not work.
He was right. I can lock the door lock with my "new" key, but I cannot open it.
Also it's not possible to start the car with my "new" key, it won't turn once inside the ignition switch
Is there anyone who has an explanation for this? Like I said, I expected a perfect copy, but I guess I was wrong.
Secondly, is there anything I can do to make it work?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New key doesn't work. Reply with quote

Clamp the two keys together so as to compare their profiles and lengths. See how they differ and if it's possible to correct the copy to better match the original.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New key doesn't work. Reply with quote

The clamp and compare advice is good. Look real closely for the start and ends of the ramps between pin points. Often old keys wear a bit and go in farther than they should (point worn) or slightly less than they did (little dirt pad in the back of the lock.) Then you are not using the same spot with the old and the new key, and the lock and key has worn to accept the change, ever so slowly over time.
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New key doesn't work. Reply with quote

I see you are in Holland, see if you can find a good lock smith and have him/her copy the key and try it at the site before you leave if it works pay if it fails have them try again till it works.
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New key doesn't work. Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, they are useful to me.
First I will try the "clamp together" method. If it's not successful I'll start searching for a quality locksmith.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New key doesn't work. Reply with quote

wimkever wrote:
Thanks for the replies, they are useful to me.
First I will try the "clamp together" method. If it's not successful I'll start searching for a quality locksmith.

A quality locksmith can likely do a better job. And maybe even cut a key from the cylinder code.

I would definitely drive the VW to the locksmith, and try out the new key in all the places. That's what I did; local locksmith made new door/ignition key, glove box key, and engine lock key for my 1971 VW.

wimkever wrote:
a beetle is like a cocker spaniel, always funny but sometimes not listening

Like ours

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New key doesn't work. Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

A quality locksmith can likely do a better job. And maybe even cut a key from the cylinder code.

Thanks for the advice, Cusser.

Cusser wrote:

Like ours

Like mine:

BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New key doesn't work. Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Like ours

Do they "smile"

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: New key doesn't work. Reply with quote

BIGMIKEY wrote:

Do they "smile"

The puppy smiles pretty much all the time, happiest little dog I've ever seen ! But he's usually in motion, so tough to photograph clearly !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Thing #6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New key doesn't work. Reply with quote

You have three problems, all working off of each other.

First, it's an old, worn ignition lock (and the door lock has a LOT less wear).

Second, it's an old, worn key (quite possibly not original).

Third, the key cutter can only work from the key that you have.

A new key cut to match a work key for a worn lock may not work if it is only a fraction of a millimeter off at the tiny spot that makes contact with the lock pins, and it only needs to be wrong for a single pin to not work.

Keys index one of two ways, either from the tip or the shoulder. It looks like these keys have shoulders (that "notch" up near when you hold it).

You need to clamp the old key and new key together with the shoulders PERFECTLY aligned in both directions (the easy way to do this is by putting a knife blade against the shoulders, then tightening your clamp).

Now, check that all of the cuts are lined up with each other (at least one is NOT). The best way to do this is with a straight edge, such as the side of a paperclip, or something similar). The chances are that the cuts in the new key are not quite as deep as the old key, and if so, you can use a tiny file to profile the new key. If the cuts are deeper than on the original, you will need a new key.

There is a type of lock decoding/picking device called a Lishi 2-in-1 Tool. I don't know which one fits the lock that you have, but call around your area to see if any of the locksmiths there has the right one.

Using the Lishi tool, they can decode your LOCK, then cut keys to fit it in the current condition.
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New key doesn't work. Reply with quote

Thanks Thing #6 for your explanation. I understand better now what's going on.
Thing #6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New key doesn't work. Reply with quote

My pleasure.

Locks are pretty simple, but half a century of wear will have an effect.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New key doesn't work. Reply with quote

Very useful info…thanks for sharing., it should be a sticky thread.?

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: