Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What does your odometer read?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: What does your odometer read? Reply with quote

261K on my 1970 VW, was about 40K when I purchased it in 1972.

However the speedometer was locked up for a few months before I cleaned and lubed it, so like higher than 261K in reality. Of course it "reads" 61K.

Has once-rebuilt 1971 engine in it, and a rebuilt MoFoCo transmission.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: What does your odometer read? Reply with quote

When I put it back on the road last year it read 25,850. My dad rolled it over (the speedo not the car!) 3 times. Today she has 332,985.

67 Beetle bought new, 95% stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: What does your odometer read? Reply with quote

My speedo reads Playboy, but just for the articles.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: What does your odometer read? Reply with quote

69 Bus read 69,000 when I bought it 15-ish years ago. If the odometer was original I figured that was actually 169,000. Now it reads 5643, or 205643 in "real" miles.

For giggles:
2002 Eurovan Camper: 98,000
2007 4Runner: 96,000
2010 Prius: 97,000
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: What does your odometer read? Reply with quote

Not sure how many times it's gone round the clock.

I'll admit to being slightly miffed that I noticed it was about to roll over to 90,000 when I went out, but then forgot all about it.

I only remembered when I got home and noticed the reading.

Missed it by miles. Five miles. Rolling Eyes

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What does your odometer read? Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:

Not sure how many times it's gone round the clock.

I'll admit to being slightly miffed that I noticed it was about to roll over to 90,000 when I went out, but then forgot all about it.

I only remembered when I got home and noticed the reading.

Missed it by miles. Five miles. Rolling Eyes

Have you tried this trick? Wink
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What does your odometer read? Reply with quote

My bus is closing in on 200,000 - although my dad's 1972 Volvo wagon is in the 500,000 club.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: What does your odometer read? Reply with quote

My wife's 2000 Forester has 320K km but is starting to have audible piston slap so it looks like it won't make the 500K km that my cousin's 2000 Forester has.
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What does your odometer read? Reply with quote

I don’t even look/care anymore. When I put the car back on the road (2018j I’d rest the odometer to zero. A couple weeks later, it read over 4K, even though I hadn’t driven nearly that. After that it “cured” itself and remained pretty accurate.
Then, this Summer the speedo started acting funny; it would randomly /not work, like the cable was broken, then suddenly work fine.
Then the odometer started clocking thousands of miles faster than single miles. I took my wife to work, a 10 minute drive. According to the odometer, I’d traveled 6,004 miles.
After that, I stopped looking/caring. I’d say it’s about #43 on the “to be fixed” list. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What does your odometer read? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

My odometer can't read! It's mostly just some small cylinders with numbers printed around them. Intelligent odometer -- I don't know if I should be jealous or scared. Shocked
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What does your odometer read? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I was going to start a new thread but maybe we can use this one.

How many others watch for significant or unusual odometer numbers? I happened to mention my addiction to this to my oldest daughter the other day and she too unknown to me does the same thing!

I hit 66,666 last month Shocked
Superstitions? yes and no. I was overdue for an oil change and one gallon in the fuel tank. Subconsiusly I thought it would explode at 66666
Should be no big deal but....
I remember when I put the engine in the car, in...2010 I estimated the engine would last "about that long".
But so far nothing happened.
the ketchup engine still lives!
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: What does your odometer read? Reply with quote

You folks aren’t alone. I do it as do my kids. My wife thinks we are all crazy. She is probably right. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

67 Beetle bought new, 95% stock.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: What does your odometer read? Reply with quote

I was hoping to post 455,555 on my truck last week but in the excitement of bagging and loading another deer I missed the event by 35 km. Ah well... next significant number up will be 456,789...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: What does your odometer read? Reply with quote

From a few years ago... and put a "4" at the left.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What does your odometer read? Reply with quote

Never even rolled Cool this was a few weeks ago so I probably have a couple hundred more now. I caused my friend to be late to class be getting a picture of the roll but I mean, it’s 50k, can’t not stop Laughing But it only had 36,000 when I got it and it’s believable since it was parked after 6 years of use and sat for 45 years.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: What does your odometer read? Reply with quote

Nice!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: What does your odometer read? Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:

Never even rolled Cool this was a few weeks ago so I probably have a couple hundred more now. I caused my friend to be late to class be getting a picture of the roll but I mean, it’s 50k, can’t not stop Laughing But it only had 36,000 when I got it and it’s believable since it was parked after 6 years of use and sat for 45 years.

ah man. You should of snipped the speedo cable Wink Then youd have 50k forever.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What does your odometer read? Reply with quote

71 Bug is at 87,000. It is actual 187,000. All original. Engine never pulled.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What does your odometer read? Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: What does your odometer read? Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

My odometer can't read! It's mostly just some small cylinders with numbers printed around them. Intelligent odometer -- I don't know if I should be jealous or scared. Shocked

Well done, you two. Take the rest of the week off,
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: