Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

chickensoup pt 2 wrote:
nice score on the heads!! Real nice score. ACN likes to set high prices on their products. Ive never shopped for bus or T4 stuff, but it may be worth looking for some of those parts elsewhere and save a few buckaroos.

the oil hole on the lifters is not needed. especially with a mild cam like what your after. I think they copied scat on that idea. IDK if it makes enough difference.

YOUR ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! At this point the major items like cam, lifters and carb setup kit are cheaper through them but I will check a few other places.

Okay, but it wouldn't hurt anything if I had it though? Because they are cheaper so if they are fine, I might get those
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

yeah. somehow. imma make it out of this hell hole here real soon tho.

Personally, i dont like the idea of the "lube a lobe" design, and a hole in the center of a low contact wear surface seems edgy(literally) as wear increases, BUT, ive never used them, and ive never heard of failures. So, hopefully someone else could chime in. I know youve asked before. plural.

I think youd be fine tho if the machining is up to standards. If scat and webcam manufacture them, you should be fine. Maybe it actually helps. idk.

Btw, im a "new member", so i cant PM till tomorrow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

chickensoup pt 2 wrote:

Personally, i dont like the idea of the "lube a lobe" design, and a hole in the center of a low contact wear surface seems edgy(literally) as wear increases, BUT, ive never used them, and ive never heard of failures. So, hopefully someone else could chime in. I know youve asked before. plural.

I think youd be fine tho if the machining is up to standards. If scat and webcam manufacture them, you should be fine. Maybe it actually helps. idk.

Well, that will be good for sure to get out.

Good point, didn’t think about the wear perspective. I was also wondering if it affected oil pressure much. At least with a T4 you can get the lifters out without splitting the case.

Didn’t know new members couldn’t pm, shoot me an email or text if you want and it good to do so
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
chickensoup pt 2 wrote:

Well, that will be good for sure to get out.

Good point, didn’t think about the wear perspective. I was also wondering if it affected oil pressure much. At least with a T4 you can get the lifters out without splitting the case.

Didn’t know new members couldn’t pm, shoot me an email or text if you want and it good to do so

I might make a small point.

In the type 1 world....I saw a few people bitching about the Scat Lube-a-lobes about 6-8 years ago. In most of those threads.....those that had issues or failures.....there were in my opinion...too many other possible issues to say that THE HOLE in the lifter was THE MAIN issue.

You had guys with high spring tension, guys with sketchy builds......and plenty of guys mixing and matching lifters to other brands of cams...and more than a few rolling their eyes about oil type and saying "screw that snake oil myth!...been building engines since the first wooden piston was made....never had to worry about oil like that"..... Rolling Eyes

And...there were people who had good habits that had legitimate concerns. And...it was pretty much type 1.

I have one of the last 9550 cam kits that Jake sold shortly before he sold the store. Something like 2009 or 2010. It came with Lub-a-lobe style lifters...to him from Webcam. From my memory Jake never noted any issues.

I Hope to finally install that in my engine next year.

Two years ago....during one of the last times a conversation about lube-a-lobe lifters popped up in a thread....I called Webcam and spoke to the woman there and told her what cam kit I had and asked whether they now...at this point in time about 10 years later....had different or better lifters that I would be happy to buy and use on this cam......and she stated NO.....for a couple of reasons.

1. No issues with those lifters on those cams from that era.

2. Even if there were.....she would not recommend changing lifters made on blanks that far back. She noted that there have been enough changes in 10 years...that you should use what was spec'd for them at the time if you can.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

i looked at your shopping cart again. few things...

Do they dont make dbl thrust cam bearings for T4? if not, it may be worth it to buy another set so you could make this happen. The timing gears are helical and push the gear towards the thrust surface.

You may be able to order your web cam cheaper through Dan Rudock.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2233833

IDK which cam blank ACN orders from web, but Dan uses the EP-12 blank. Which means you SHOULD be able to use CB lifters. I would email and ask tho.

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/2200.htm
(solid, no oil hole)

or

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1510.htm
(hydraulic, no oil hole)

Ive never used curil-k2, and i know some people swear by it, but for the price, you could find something cheaper and better. Ive used yama/3 bond, and it works and works very well. Go to the T4 group on face book, and watch Jake rabies take on sealants. the video is long, and kinda boring, but he demonstrates what works for T4 engines.

You also need to buy cam shield. Apply it on the cam lobes and lifter faces. It helps aid in cam break in for our flat tappet cams.

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/3049.htm
This is a big container of it. you should be able to buy a much smaller packet, which will last you 2-3 engine builds.

And if you end up buying more parts from cb, you could save like 5 bucks on the intake/carb linkage kit.

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/3128.htm
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Um,
I’d be waiting a bit before counting your chickens..
There are worldwide parts supply issues at hand,
And just because aircooled.net lists something on their site doesn’t mean they can get it.
Call Web.
See if they have any type 4 cams to sell..

You won’t have to worry about hole/no hole.
Use the right oil and the cam and lifters that the manufacturer says and you’ll be fine.
You’re not running 500# over the nose..

What’s That Noise?!?
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

My pistons, cylinders and heads showed up yesterday. The Mahle P&C look great and I think they are balanced since they said balanced on the box and the weight numbers were written on the pistons.

The heads, I was pretty disappointed with. For 1,000 to rebuild the heads you don’t get much (luckily I didn’t even pay that much for them, the P&Cs and shipping) they are still dirty, the castings heads have a lot of issues. One has a small crack pictured below
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The onl spark plug hole is welded up and when they tapped it they left burs on the sealing surface and the threads are too deep and the sealing surface needs to be machined down farther, I could see some air pockets in the welds showing in the threads.

The one hole for the cooling tins has been opened up for much larger threads and they didn’t fix that.

The machining quality doesn’t seem the greatest in spots. I also found that one valve guide on the exhaust wasn’t installed right. It doesn’t stick out at all and it goes way into the hole for the guide. The first pic is the issue one and the other is the normal one. It also looks like the exhaust valve is different on the one with the weird guide.

The seats have been replaced I think and they are at slightly different heights. The sealing surface for valve covers has a fair amount of shelf rash.

RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Further disassembly, cleaning and inspection would be wise, blue valve pic shows a gouge,melt down spot or porosity? not sure. Possible guide broke off while pressing in or its not in all the way? You will want that support for the valve. Should also check sealing surface for cyl. and chamber volumes. Plug hole can be inserted as well as the tin hole, or use a larger bolt/screw.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

nice toes Laughing Do what RWK says, hes a machinists i think. I would contact the seller and try to work something out. Not only is that guide not fully supported but the exhaust heat will transfer to the valve easier.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

RWK wrote:
Further disassembly, cleaning and inspection would be wise, blue valve pic shows a gouge,melt down spot or porosity? not sure. Possible guide broke off while pressing in or its not in all the way? You will want that support for the valve. Should also check sealing surface for cyl. and chamber volumes. Plug hole can be inserted as well as the tin hole, or use a larger bolt/screw.

Yeah, I think I’m going to tear it down to inspect or I will call headflow masters first. Thankfully I have the receipt for the work. From the keeper/spring side I can see the guide is even with the rest so I’d guess it broke? I figured that having it short would be an issue Sad the weird spot in the blue is from the plug welding. I will post a better pic.

Chickensoup wrote:
nice toes Laughing Do what RWK says, hes a machinists i think. I would contact the seller and try to work something out. Not only is that guide not fully supported but the exhaust heat will transfer to the valve easier.
Yeah, I’m surprised that the head left the shop with that major of an issue
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Welcome to the wonderful world of rebuilt heads!
Now you know why Len and others won't accept used Bus castings to start with.
Probably 87% of all used Bus heads aren't even rebuildable.

First off, I'll say that i do not consider any of your conditions terminal,
And that if you bolted them on and ran them they would probably last and run for years.
That said, I'd be pulling them apart, cc-ing chambers, checking guide fit, etc. to be sure.

That crack near the upper two center head studs isn't too bad.
I'll bet the heads have been flycut pretty heavy if things were moving that much.
When you build the motor, do a leak-down or otherwise pressurize the chambers to be sure the head was cut flat and level between the holes.
If you have a bit of leak at the head seal, you might consider gluing the heads on with some ultra copper.

Welded plug holes are actually looking good.
Better than an insert IMHO, and certainly far better than stripped out. Wink
That is a pretty low amount of porosity compared to a lot of other welded heads I've seen.
The castings are porous and absorb oil over the years.
Welding them sucks because the oil comes out of pores and pops and spits and makes bubbles in weld.
Most serious builders will do all of their welding on new castings for this reason.

The bigger tin screw is actually supposed to be that way.
Fuel injected cars put Temp Sensor II in that location.
Find an old one in the junkyard and use it as a nut.

That valve guide, while definitely not right, will probably work.
Like was suggested, perhaps it wasn't driven in all the way.
Hope that is what's going on.
Maybe you'll pull some springs and find the one guide sticking up into the rocker box area.
However, if that's the case, they might have been driving in an oversize guide that was a bit too big, and it ended up sticking before it was home, and they gave up.
If you are really lucky, you'll be able to wail on it and get it the rest of the way home.
This will 'mushroom' the top of the guide, and close it up smaller at the top there from the impact of your driving,
and the guide will have to be reamed back to size afterward.
Any normal automotive machine shop can ream guides.
Many cars used to need this done, not just VWs.

If it is indeed a smaller guide, and you really care and/or worry about it,
You can core it, drive it out, measure it, and fid a replacement.
I just got a set of oversize guides successfully from aircooled.net last month.
They might just be the last place on earth with these in-stock...

Otherwise, it probably isn't the end of the world...

You valve job could likely be better.
A good place will sink the valve job a bit more.
Again, not the end of the world.
Pop the valves out, and inspect. Some lapping wil tell the story.

Valve cover gasket seating can be dressed down with a file if you care.
If you really care, pull the rocker studs and you can sand them flat on a plate.
They're usually like that - chewed up.

Same with the valves and/or guides being different.
Most volume rebuilt heads will have different used valves thrown in.
A cheap set of rebuilt heads doesn't usually get you a whole set of matching new valves.

i also wouldn't bother calling Adrian about it.
Budget head rebuilder, and what you got there is what he sells..

CC the chambers first and check for valve leaks.
Pull all the valves out and inspect the valve job.
Check all of the valve/guide clearance by feeling/measuring the 'rock' as per the Bentley.
Give that odd guide a good look,
And post a bunch of pics.

Despite what a lot of 'experts' on the internet might say,
There's tons of cheap rebuilt heads pushing buses around all over the world,
And if you looked real closely at the heads,
They might be worse than yours by far...

What’s That Noise?!?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Couple other thoughts..

Put some plugs in and check the depth.
See if they faced the plug washer area accurately.

If you're going to run a CHT, you'll want to make some sender room.

I'd also check those P&L.
Make sure the rings are on right-side up, gapped right, Piston-to-cylinder clearance right.
Make sure they all are from the same batch, all the same length, etc.
Check piston weight, on and on.
Trust no parts - new or used.

Might give my Cheap Junk build another peek, in case there's a tidbit or two for you..

What’s That Noise?!?
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! I didn’t realize they put a temp sensor in that one hole. Some of the spots you mentioned I didn’t consider for welding. I also guess I didn’t think they were economy head rebuilders. But realistically it probably has 200-300 in parts to rebuild it. I guess I could have done a round two of my home done valve job on the 1700 heads and had them fly cut Laughing

I poured some paint thinner into the ports, and they actually sealed up Shocked one I left for close to 2 hours and to was only a little wet on the combustion side of the valve. Barely any leaked out. So that’s good news at least. But I will still take apart the one that has the messed up exhaust guide and get that fixed.

So I took your advice and got in contact with aircooled.net. Here ya go, “ Web-cam has not been able to tell us how long the wait for more blanks will be, presumably because their blank supplier also is unable to predict.
We check in with them about every 2-3 weeks, and the blank shortage has already been ongoing for close to 5 months.
We have a standing order for restock on the most popular cam grinds, so we are in line to receive re-stock on Web-cams at the point that the shortage of blanks is overcome.”
So at least 5 months in back orders, with no end in sight: I need to choose a diff cam if I want to get this done. I couldn’t find anyone else that happened to have one for sale. So runner up cam seems to be a Scat camshafts. I think maybe a C35? Aircooled.net listed it good for a dual barrel dual carb setup and a great bus cam. Or maybe a milder C25 but that doesn’t seem as good. I would match it with Scat lifters too. Going the route would also save me 100-200 in parts.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Eagle cams are out of stock as well, but they seem to have a smaller time interval between back orders.

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/2202.htm

This cam is similar to the web 86 based of the 2 numbers CB gives Brick wall WTH CB why no at 50 number?

anyways, it may be a good choice. says it works well with duels and lower-mid range engines.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
ept000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

I waited a LONG time for my Web Cam. It was ordered in January and I just got it about two weeks ago. It doesn't seem to be just a problem with getting blanks. I called every week for an update and got answers like the guy who grinds the cams went on vacation. Or we had a rush order for Ferrari so we had to bump you out of line. For the last several weeks its was "it's shipping tomorrow" which never happened. Very frustrating.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Or.....you might also check the type 4 store stock. Excellent cams for type 4, they are made by Web cam. Ray
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Thanks for the info everyone! Type4 store was back ordered as well. I ended up getting a scat C35 from aircooled.net along with matching lifters. Hopefully they arrive somewhat soon.

Well, I’m going to building a 1700cc still Laughing one of my friends at school is buying a but that needs an engine so we are doing going to do an absolute budget build, so we’ll use that spare 1.7L I have. We will already have some different sets of stock dual carbs for the bus and L-jet systems. Would L-jet work with a 1.7L with high compression pistons? Or would modifying stock dual carbs be easiest? Or get a set of Weber ICTS? Trying to keep the 1.7L build as cheap as possible.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Got some engine parts I needed, still waiting on some to build my engine. But I started tearing into the motor for my friends bus, still in true form of a 73 412 engine, not in the best shape but could be much worse. I don’t think we’ll split the case as the cam is in okay condition and the engine will probably get a better rebuild in a few years when my friend has more money to spend on it. For the engine build I got my $20 engine stand set up and the holes drilled into it to hold the engine. I also figured out the engine wouldn’t go more than 1/2 a revolution because a chunk of compacted carbon was stopping it. I think the plan will be new valves, maybe some new springs, gasket kit, and honing the cylinders and put it back together. I’m going to use some parts from the 1.7 I originally tore down as they are in better shape. The plan is to use a 1975-1978 header/ heater box system with a Monza exhaust as that’s what I got in a huge parts deal from where my friend bought his bus. I also got another really nice set of 72-74 heater boxes, a bunch of nice T4 cooling tin, a bunch of carburetors, FI systems, and a bunch of other bus parts. For some reason just half of a type 4 case Laughing the parts filled an entire truck bed Shocked anyways, the engine will use that exhaust system, and I’m thinking running L-jet but I was curious how that’d play with the smaller high compression engine with a D-jet cam vs it’s usual bigger, lower compression engine it’s used on.

Then I did a little home resurfacing on two flywheel and pressure plate as no one seems to be able to machine them in driving distance. I used a friend lathe and mainly knocked off the rust.

Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

All this is experience , just about everyone learns through mistakes of sorts , back on the first page I posted about the cost of new heads verses rebuilt heads . Not that you really want to know but others learning from your experience (what makes these threads very good) may note that you have spent $1000 on getting old heads rebuilt , that you are disappointed with ,when you could have now bought brand new heads for less money from AA .
In my opinion the C35 will not be the right cam for a 1700 in a bus , the C25 would be a better option.
https://aapistons.com/collections/stock-performance-type-4-914-head-aa-series?page=1
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:
All this is experience , just about everyone learns through mistakes of sorts , back on the first page I posted about the cost of new heads verses rebuilt heads . Not that you really want to know but others learning from your experience (what makes these threads very good) may note that you have spent $1000 on getting old heads rebuilt , that you are disappointed with ,when you could have now bought brand new heads for less money from AA .
In my opinion the C35 will not be the right cam for a 1700 in a bus , the C25 would be a better option.
https://aapistons.com/collections/stock-performance-type-4-914-head-aa-series?page=1

Yeah, luckily I didn’t spend $1000 rebuilding them, the guy I bought them from did and I paid $920 with shipping for the heads and new Mahle pistons and cylinders. So still a decent chunk in heads but not all of it. I didn’t realize AA heads were so cheap though. I may have done that if I new better.

I got the C35 for the 2L engine, but do you think that’s still not a great cam for the engine? Aircooled.net said it was a great bus cam but I wasn’t sure if it was a bit much.

I’m kinda wanting just to put an l-jet system on the 2L as I think the Weber’s are going to be a pain for my plans for this bus, having no chokes in the cold will be a pain. I’m thinking I will be doing more cold weather driving than I originally thought.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 21

Jump to: