Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Build up on carb exterior
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Build up on carb exterior Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a 2.0L Type 4 engine in my 1979 VW bus. Originally, it was a 1.7L from a 72 bus, but rebuilt to a 2.0. It has dual Weber IDF40s. Engine breather hose connects to top of left carb and activated carbon box connects to the top of the right carb.

The right hand card has some build on it that I'm curious if it's something I should be working to track down or just let it be. These are my first carbs, so I don't know what would be considered normal or not.

Here are the pictures. What I'm looking at is the pinkish color that is present on the right carb and not the left.

Left:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Right:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Build up on carb exterior Reply with quote

Looks pretty normal for a used carb with some miles on it. They get a little dirty over time. Hard to see much of a difference between left and right from the pictures. Part of it might be fuel varnish residue from the carb "weeping" over time. It could be from fumes in the engine bay. The carbs are also subject to condensation at times which dust or road debri/grime (whatever you want to call it) can stick to.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: