Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

surfbus23 wrote:
Jacked the front up and took off the tire this morning. Found the break caliper looking like this.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This looks to be problematic with it rubbing against the rotor. It looks the same on the backside. Or not. I don't remember what it's supposed to be like. Looks like maybe this is correct.

Woah! That not right. Pad wear surface on disk should go almost out to the outer edge, within 1/8" or so. Wrong pads?
Pad retaining pins came out?

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

Bad news for me. It wasn't the speedometer cable. Anyone able to listen to that audio and give me guidance?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

I thought I posted to this thread. The noise in turning points to a bad front wheel bearing. The noise of a bad bearing gets loudest when you turn away from it , forcing the bearing into the outer race, not definitive but 95% indicative
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

Thanks so much to everyone who put in time to help me. I figured it out this afternoon. The key was thinking of the noise as a screeching sound rather than a metal contact.

Turns out my tie rod had come loose and my alignment was messed up. The screeching noise was me dragging my tire on the pavement during turns. The particular stretch of road I was hearing it on was a slightly swerving section through town, so it really accentuated it there in particular. Got the rod tightened up and what passes for an alignment here in Panama and she's so much tighter now.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

Ok but hang on, something still seriously looks wrong with your brake pad. At best, the wrong pads are installed, at worst they could be falling out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Ok but hang on, something still seriously looks wrong with your brake pad. At best, the wrong pads are installed, at worst they could be falling out.

Agree. You should fix that for sure.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:

Circling back around to this thread to try and address the misaligned calipers/brake pads. First, here is a picture of the pins. Looks fine to me but want to get another set of eyes.

As for the caliper part number if I google the cast number (64321989) it doesn't have a lot of hits, but two of them indicate that this is the correct RH caliper for a '79 bus. "Caliper Girling 2x54w56 RH".

As for the pads, I purchased them from German Supply. Checking my receipt it lists them as:

"251 698 151A PAG Brake Pads Bus '73-'79 / Vanagon '80-'85 - Pagid Brand"

So this doesn't obviously suggest a misfit. Can't find the receipt for the rotors, so can't confirm those are correct.

Can anyone suggest a next step to figuring out what could be wrong here?

Thanks,

Kevin
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

surfbus23 wrote:
airschooled wrote:

Circling back around to this thread to try and address the misaligned calipers/brake pads. First, here is a picture of the pins. Looks fine to me but want to get another set of eyes.

As for the caliper part number if I google the cast number (64321989) it doesn't have a lot of hits, but two of them indicate that this is the correct RH caliper for a '79 bus. "Caliper Girling 2x54w56 RH".

As for the pads, I purchased them from German Supply. Checking my receipt it lists them as:

"251 698 151A PAG Brake Pads Bus '73-'79 / Vanagon '80-'85 - Pagid Brand"

So this doesn't obviously suggest a misfit. Can't find the receipt for the rotors, so can't confirm those are correct.

Can anyone suggest a next step to figuring out what could be wrong here?

Thanks,

Kevin

Pull the OB pad. I want to see the friction face.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

what they are saying is that the inner edge of the pad appears too close to the hub. It should be over the shiny area only. Something is goofy with the installation. It is hard to say because the piston appears too far towards the hub too. Are these the original calipers and rotor that came with your bus

ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
what they are saying is that the inner edge of the pad appears too close to the hub. It should be over the shiny area only. Something is goofy with the installation. It is hard to say because the piston appears too far towards the hub too. Are these the original calipers and rotor that came with your bus

Mismatched OB caliper half? The pins would fit funky but sort of look correct.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

from the photo it just looks like a brake job that is bound to cause all sorts of problems, or worse, kill someone. The original post involving the brakes started in April 2021. This is December. To Surfbus - might want to get someone helping you that knows brakes. The rotor appears really worn too, meaning maybe way too thin.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

Some use ATF for cables.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

A pretty good whack (accidental or on purpose) on the pad's rear side could have forced it towards the disk hub like that, probably bent the retaining pin too. From the looks of that rust, it happened quite some time ago.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

The pad should not touch the rough part of the rotor.

Pull the pins and the pads. Make sure the pins went through the slots in the pad backing plate. Looks as if someone pushed the pad in too far. If not that, disassemble the whole thing and compare to the other side - they're mirror images of each other.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

the piston is om the edge of the pad. I am thinking the wrong pads were used last time and the rotor is worn thin except in the rusty area. This is such a crappy brake situation i think the OP needs assistance with this.

Below is an image of my 1977 brakes when done with a new rotor. The disk has a trough next to the hub section. The photo of the OP's is raised making me think it has been worn thin.

Here is another image from the gallery. You can see the trough at the inner edge.

same here

here is a 1978

surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

Hmm... really not sure what make of this. The brake calipers are the ones that came with the bus when I purchased it. I rebuilt them very carefully using the Bentley and here as a guide. Everything as a unit has 15k miles on it.

I've been driving the Pan American highway and currently in Colombia, so a bit more difficult than normal to accomplish things. I took them to a brake place and they checked the pads and felt things looked normal. This is a Colombia brake place, however, so I won't claim they have the same standards.

I didn't grab a picture of the pads, but I did look at them and I didn't notice any raised edges. I didn't closely examine them, but I know when I put them in the pins were straight and I was watching the whole processes and they looked straight to me.

I understand that the pads should be more centered on the rotor. SGKent, can you help me understand better what the risks of continuing to operate like this are?

Thanks a ton everyone. Appreciate the input and help.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown grinding/rubbing noise at speed Reply with quote

the pads need to sit on the completely flat and shiny portion of the rotor to work properly. From your photo it looks like they are sitting on a rusty ledge created where the last pads did not contact. Take a look in person since photos lie sometimes.

In the photo below, you can see that the contact area from the prior pads goes much farther in than yours. Yours is not normal. It could be the pads are wrong, in wrong, or the last pads were not correct so they did not wear right. Were it me, I'd check the thickness of the rotor to be sure it is within specifications and replace them if they are not. If they are then a brake shop can turn them on a brake lathe to restore a proper surface.

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: