Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65 Bus door locks do not work
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pacifcoflyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bus door locks do not work Reply with quote

bump.

So my 65' passenger door will not lock from outside, when I move the handle up on the inside it then falls back down and unlocks on itself. It has been working fine but now all of a sudden won't lock from inside or outside....any ideas?
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bus door locks do not work Reply with quote

a temporary "fix" might be to try lifting the outside door handle "up" while turning the key in the tumbler to lock it. This takes the pressure off the door lock mechanism, and also temporarily fixes door sag from slightly worn out hinges. Both of these sometimes contribute to difficulty getting lock to engage.

Are you able to lock the door from the inside by pushing the inner door handle fwd?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pacifcoflyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bus door locks do not work Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
a temporary "fix" might be to try lifting the outside door handle "up" while turning the key in the tumbler to lock it. This takes the pressure off the door lock mechanism, and also temporarily fixes door sag from slightly worn out hinges. Both of these sometimes contribute to difficulty getting lock to engage.

Are you able to lock the door from the inside by pushing the inner door handle fwd?

Thanks for the reply! I have the push button doors on the outside, and my handle on the inside when I go to pull it up to lock, locks initially then falls down on its own and unlocks the door. Maybe the previous owner had the handles installed wrong? Anyone have a photo of what it should look like?

Thank you!
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bus door locks do not work Reply with quote

The inside door handles should be pointing towards the front of your bus, and slightly inclined by about 30 degrees from level. You push down on the handle to lock the doors, you lift UP to unlock or open the doors from the inside. I reckon it would be the other way around IF your inside door handles were installed backwards facing the rear of your bus....but they're not supposed to be installed that way.

Hop into the seat of your bus. Pull the door closed. Reach forward towards the handle. Figure out which way the handle orientation makes sense to ergonomically fit across the palm of your open hand as you reach for the handle to operate it.

If you click on the "Technical" tab of this website you'll see another tab for all of the type 2 owners manuals throughout the years. The March 1965 manual has a photo of the plastic door handle oriented slightly forward of vertical.
pacifcoflyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bus door locks do not work Reply with quote

BonTonRoulet wrote:
The inside door handles should be pointing towards the front of your bus, and slightly inclined by about 30 degrees from level. You push down on the handle to lock the doors, you lift UP to unlock or open the doors from the inside. I reckon it would be the other way around IF your inside door handles were installed backwards facing the rear of your bus....but they're not supposed to be installed that way.

Hop into the seat of your bus. Pull the door closed. Reach forward towards the handle. Figure out which way the handle orientation makes sense to ergonomically fit across the palm of your open hand as you reach for the handle to operate it.

If you click on the "Technical" tab of this website you'll see another tab for all of the type 2 owners manuals throughout the years. The March 1965 manual has a photo of the plastic door handle oriented slightly forward of vertical.

Thank you! I will go look at it. If I remember correctly for some reason mine lock with the handle going up, and open with the handle going down. I will report back.
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bus door locks do not work Reply with quote

pacifcoflyr wrote:
BonTonRoulet wrote:

Thank you! I will go look at it. If I remember correctly for some reason mine lock with the handle going up, and open with the handle going down. I will report back.

If your interior door panels are off and the interior handles installed like they are supposed to be, put your hand on the long rod from the door handle mechanism to the door latch mechanism. With your other hand when you pull the handle UP/BACK the rod should move FORWARD. When you push the handle DOWN/FORWARD the rod should move BACKWARDS. Might be a case of your interior door handle mechanisms being incorrectly swapped left and right or rotated 180 degrees out of position?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bus door locks do not work Reply with quote

Part of your post sounds like the return spring broke on half of the inner door handle mechanism. That and the mismounted lever might be simply unlocking it. Open the window and hold the inner handle in the lock position then try to key lock it and report what happens.
pacifcoflyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bus door locks do not work Reply with quote

So something clearly isn’t right. My handles operate in the opposite way of the owners manual. Up is lock, down is open. What did they install backwards? I’m about to take the door panels off and dive in.

Thanks all.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bus door locks do not work Reply with quote

Probably the mechanism the door handles mounts to is upside down.

It's possible to install it upside down into the door.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pacifcoflyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bus door locks do not work Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Probably the mechanism the door handles mounts to is upside down.

It's possible to install it upside down into the door.

It was installed upside down, so that is solved. But, it still will not lock inside or outside.
pacifcoflyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bus door locks do not work Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Part of your post sounds like the return spring broke on half of the inner door handle mechanism. That and the mismounted lever might be simply unlocking it. Open the window and hold the inner handle in the lock position then try to key lock it and report what happens.

Holding the lever down and doing this locks it. Where is this little spring? If the spring in that piece that was mounted upside down it appears to have plenty of tension. The handle when moved and gently let go returns to its normal position. If I have the door open, lock it with the handle, then push the outside button the door opens.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bus door locks do not work Reply with quote

pacifcoflyr wrote:
Where is this little spring? If the spring in that piece that was mounted upside down it appears to have plenty of tension. The handle when moved and gently let go returns to its normal position.

Going lock direction it should spring back and going open direction it should spring back so both ways it should spring back.

pacifcoflyr wrote:
If I have the door open, lock it with the handle, then push the outside button the door opens.

Not enough info. If you want to try it with the door open you need to manually twist the door catch to the closed position. Then try to lock it with the handle and the key alternately.

Here's guessing you need to remove the outer handle and the latch/lock mechanism from the door to see more of what's happening.
pacifcoflyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bus door locks do not work Reply with quote

I took it off and it’s pretty gummed up. Cleaning it now and will lube it up. Nothing appears broken. I tried the door closed hand through the window thing like you suggested and the outcome was if I let go of the handle, it opens from outside. My hockey shaped mechanism works fine, just won’t stay locked.
pacifcoflyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Bus door locks do not work Reply with quote

So after a clean and lube and learning how the door mechanism works, a couple of the tabs were bent just very so slightly. The arm that moves up and down (the lock) that gets in the way of the arm that moves inwards when you push the push button was slightly bent, so when locked didn’t provide enough surface area to prevent the push button arm from being disabled if that makes sense. I bent it back with a some small pliers and it’s all working now. No idea if it was just time and use that bent it in the first place or what. But I also reversed the part the handle attaches to on both sides so the handle works properly. Thank you all for your help, hopefully the fiddling with the bent pieces lasts if not I’ll be replacing the mechanism.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bus door locks do not work Reply with quote

Glad you got it figured out. Wonder what made it out of kilter.
pacifcoflyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bus door locks do not work Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Glad you got it figured out. Wonder what made it out of kilter.

Thanks a ton for your help, I really appreciate it. Not sure what made it out of whack but we’ll see if it lasts. The help on this forum is truly amazing, so thank you!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: