Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dashboard Map Light: What Options Do I Have To Replace It?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoquelDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Dashboard Map Light: What Options Do I Have To Replace It? Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm looking for ideas on what to replace the dashboard map light with. That thing is too flimsy for me or anyone to use, so I want to get rid of it and replace it with something or just cover the hole in the dash.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Dashboard Map Light: What Options Do I Have To Replace It? Reply with quote

GoWesty has this:

https://www.gowesty.com/product/12-volt-accessorie...p-light?v=
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the_benjamin_effect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Dashboard Map Light: What Options Do I Have To Replace It? Reply with quote

Chris at UniWerks Design LLC has something as well.

https://www.uniwerksdesign.com/product/maplightpod/

Although I do like the design of the GW, as it screws into place by looking at the pictures.

I have worked with Chris in the past, and he was willing to create a 3D printed part for me that I thought of for my van. I'm sure he will do the same for if you have any ideas of your own.

Cheers!
Benjamin
-2000 Subaru Impreza Sport EJ22 ¼ million miles "Trusty"

International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. I.A.M. 751
International Brotherhood of Naval Flight Engineers. I.B.N.F.E. LOCAL 8251
My other ride has 18,400 horsepower!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Dashboard Map Light: What Options Do I Have To Replace It? Reply with quote

Try Uniwerks Design, they have a 3D-printed plug n play LED for that spot. You can choose between white or red light. Fancy!
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Dashboard Map Light: What Options Do I Have To Replace It? Reply with quote

i picked up a very new looking OEM light at a swap meet for $2.00 from a Porsche guy. apparently they used the same light. i put an LED in and it works great.

maybe ask the Porsche people if they have one? check the ads or leave a WTB ad?

BiWerks Design, LLC
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Dashboard Map Light: What Options Do I Have To Replace It? Reply with quote

I don’t know how many times fiddling with it I popped the accessories fuse.
What a pissy little headache, thinking it will one day
…. snap in place and remain there.
It won’t.

Finally, I changed the bulb to LED and then glued it in place.
Its underneath thus not visible, can’t see the glue.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Dashboard Map Light: What Options Do I Have To Replace It? Reply with quote

Hmm. Dixie's OEM map light works flawlessly.

The lighter, on the other hand...
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SoquelDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Dashboard Map Light: What Options Do I Have To Replace It? Reply with quote

I got the PowerPod MaplightPod from UniWerks Design LLC. Once again, Chris came through with great design.

The only issue is wiring this light. The UniWerks instructions are a little slim on this. An inline fuse is recommended, but what size fuse should I use?

Can folks who have installed this pod on the vans share how they wired it in?

Thanks!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Dashboard Map Light: What Options Do I Have To Replace It? Reply with quote

Have to see the wire size to know the wire size to be sure.
But you don’t really need to be “correct) for a tiny LED.
The problem is the tiny wires “on the LED”.

Try a 2A fuse, if it supports the LED without popping,
you can barely get “more protective” than 2A fuse, its like a human hair.

What size is the VW fuse that powers the map light circuit?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Dashboard Map Light: What Options Do I Have To Replace It? Reply with quote

SoquelDude wrote:
I got the PowerPod MaplightPod from UniWerks Design LLC. Once again, Chris came through with great design.

The only issue is wiring this light. The UniWerks instructions are a little slim on this. An inline fuse is recommended, but what size fuse should I use?

Can folks who have installed this pod on the vans share how they wired it in?

Thanks!

Here is how I did mine, with mucho pictures: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9379501#9379501
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Dashboard Map Light: What Options Do I Have To Replace It? Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:

Here is how I did mine, with mucho pictures: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9379501#9379501

Omg I didn't know you could buy them from Uniwerks with those lights. I did it to the rear ashtray myself which was a pain. Buying his to replace mine now lol.
Thanks for the link and for showing how you routed it!
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Dashboard Map Light: What Options Do I Have To Replace It? Reply with quote

The dual colour wan't offered on the webite, I just emailed him to know if he could do it. It's custom-made stuff anyway, so tell him what you need and be surprised!
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Dashboard Map Light: What Options Do I Have To Replace It? Reply with quote

Order Placed. Makes the one I did look like trash lol.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Dashboard Map Light: What Options Do I Have To Replace It? Reply with quote

I actually like the goofy little things that my van has. I never use the map light but I think it looks cool sitting there on the front of the dash. My favorite is the super warm glow of the vanity mirror on the passenger's sun visor. Sometime we turn it on for mood lighting.

I did replace the cig lighter with a Blueseas dual USB charger though.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Dashboard Map Light: What Options Do I Have To Replace It? Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
I actually like the goofy little things that my van has. I never use the map light but I think it looks cool sitting there on the front of the dash. My favorite is the super warm glow of the vanity mirror on the passenger's sun visor. Sometime we turn it on for mood lighting.

I did replace the cig lighter with a Blueseas dual USB charger though.

Do all VWs have the same style vanity mirror with the light bordering the mirror? My 2016 Vw touareg has it too
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Dashboard Map Light: What Options Do I Have To Replace It? Reply with quote

elizer wrote:

Do all VWs have the same style vanity mirror with the light bordering the mirror? My 2016 Vw touareg has it too

Really? That surprises me.

I'll have to look but I think our 2017 Alltrack just has a single bluish LED on each side of the mirror that turn on when you slide a little flap that covers the mirror.

I can't remember what our two old Jettas had.
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Dashboard Map Light: What Options Do I Have To Replace It? Reply with quote

Do certain years not have these lights? My 83 doesn’t.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Dashboard Map Light: What Options Do I Have To Replace It? Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
elizer wrote:

Really? That surprises me.

I'll have to look but I think our 2017 Alltrack just has a single bluish LED on each side of the mirror that turn on when you slide a little flap that covers the mirror.

I can't remember what our two old Jettas had.

This is the passenger vanity of a 2016 Touareg tdi.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
SoquelDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Dashboard Map Light: What Options Do I Have To Replace It? Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:

Thanks but the lights you have (although great job) are not the same as the PowerPod™ MaplightPod from UniWerks that installs in the dash. Anybody out there have clues about wiring that thing in?

Thanks!
holdthewind2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dashboard Map Light: What Options Do I Have To Replace It? Reply with quote

Will assume the + doesn't go to the chassis, unless it's the bidirectional diodes Wink could be made with the one time use LER (Light Emitting Resistor) all you need is a low value and high current.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: