Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What engine fits directly into an '83 1600 diesel Vanagon?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kumo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: What engine fits directly into an '83 1600 diesel Vanagon? Reply with quote

i have the chance to buy an '83 vanagon with an original 1600 diesel engine and a 5 gear transmission(replaced by actual owner).the engine is not working,and i'm trying to understand if i can replace it with something more powerfull or something cheap(from a junkyyard or similar).

what are the engine that will fit that bus without major modifications?there are any direct bolt on option(like golf,passat audi)?

i'm just trying to understand what are the easy options i could consider
BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They all bolt right in!! Easiest would probably be a AAZ TD, you'd need a new drivers side engine mount & that's about it I think. You could even recycle you existing intake parts. The gear ratios might be a bit low for anything with a bit more go.

A wee bit of the search function will net you at least a dozen threads relevant to your quandary.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would you consider major? Rebuilding the diesel engine or swapping it for a similar diesel from a rabbit, dasher, golf, quantum would be the easiest. Trouble would be finding one in good enough shape to make the swap worth it. Move the oil pan, flywheel, clutch and intake/exhaust and you are back on the road. 1.6 TD would be an upgrade, but starts to get a little more complicated. These are even rarer in the US. The next option is going to one of the 1.9 Diesels. They come in many flavors, but require more work to fit in depending on your choice. Do a search on Eurospec, they have some kits. I have no affilitation. Another good resource is http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/TDI-conversion, and http://www.vwdieselparts.com/forum and here on the Samba. Many of the questions you have, have been answered here before. Regards.
avdem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A non turbo 1.9 would be even easier, forexample a 1Y, don`t know if they`re easy to get hold of over there......
kumo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what cars/years have a non turbo 1.9?would it be a direct bolt on?where can i find vw diesel engine codes?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_diesel_engines There are not many options sold in the US. Where are you located? That may make a difference what you can buy.
Vanagonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only vw n/a 1.9's imported officially came in to the U.S. as industrial engines (generators and the like). You could find a TDI like this one http://www.dieselenginetrader.com/engines/engine_details.cfm?id=29447
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and put it back together, but you'll still need a bunch of stuff to get it going and installed. Not easy or cheap.
The least expensive and least considered route is to make the much maligned 1.6 perform well. It needs to breathe (intake and exhaust mods) and get fuel (Pump mods). It needs to hold together (head studs, good tolerances, good oiling, good cooling). Those things done, It will probably keep up with most traffic on most days (up to a point), especially with a glorious 5-speed which is designed to compensate for the lack of power by keeping the engine in it's power band. What is broken on your 1.6?
p.s.- tests on performance diesel modified 1.6 n/a suggests a 40% increase in power is possible. This would put the output in the 85 HP/ 130 FtLbs range. Do not compare these numbers with SVX conversions. Smile
kumo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm located in italy, so i should look for european market cars.
Vanagonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are fortunate. As linked by rsxsr (and avdem):
1.9 non-turbo
Engine code 1Y, AEF
DIN rated motive power and torque output
47 kilowatts (64 PS; 63 bhp) @ 4,300 rpm; 124 newton metres (91 ft·lbf) @ 2,500-3,200 rpm
applications
Volkswagen Golf, Volkswagen Polo 6N, SEAT Ibiza Mk2, SEAT Toledo, Škoda Felicia
avdem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would not be a problem in Italy, as mentioned above. Both VW, Seat and Skoda, use the same engine. Known as the SDI in most of these cars, probably cheapest if you pull it from a Skoda, only reason is it`s a Skoda. Look for Caddy, Golf, Fabia, Skoda Pickup and so on....
kumo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that helps alot.thank you very much.
i was use to go on holiday in a '76 t2 with just an home made wooden bed and a camping kitchen.
if i could buy this confortable westfalia and just throw in a strong engine for a cheap price would be a great improvement.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to note that an '83 diesel westy with the 1Y non-turbo 1.9 has less HP and torque than the '76 t2 and 1,000 more lbs to push around.
kumo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my '76 t2 has a type1 1600 engine, like most of european t2.i doubt that a 1.9 diesel has less torque.maybe you thought that my t2 had the 2000 type4 engine you lucky american are use to see in this kind of van
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was thinking 2.0L (you don't have your location in your profile).
dokarex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I installed my 1.9TD aaz it was almost a direct bolt in, change these parts from 1.6 to 1.9
pulleys and belts
oilpan and pump
clutch and pressure plate
1.9TD fuel filter (makes it self-bleeding VERY IMPORTANT)
There is no problem with the smaller turbo on the 1.9 fitting in.
Then you will need to fab a new exhaust and reroute your air intake also you should move the turbo oil drain line down into the oilpan, just weld on a fitting before you mount the oilpan, I haven't done this but should since it allows the oil to run freely from the turbo.
I didn't need to do anything to the engine mounts, unless you want the engine to sit upright instead of at 50 degrees, then you dont need to change the oilpan, pump or turbo drain but need an adapter to mount the engine This took me and a friend eight hours and was my first engine swap.
Take a look at www.vwdiesel.net for more info on VW diesels and some Vanagon installs they know as much about VW diesels as the Samba knows about all other VW's
This has given me a lot more power but you will want to swap in a gasser tranny to improve the gear ratios and reduce the tranny whine which will be very loud and annoying.
16ft Freestyle catamaran
16 ft Sunray 85 Horse (sunk)
kumo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dokarex wrote:
When I installed my 1.9TD aaz it was almost a direct bolt in, change these parts from 1.6 to 1.9
pulleys and belts
oilpan and pump
clutch and pressure plate
1.9TD fuel filter (makes it self-bleeding VERY IMPORTANT)
There is no problem with the smaller turbo on the 1.9 fitting in.
Then you will need to fab a new exhaust and reroute your air intake also you should move the turbo oil drain line down into the oilpan, just weld on a fitting before you mount the oilpan, I haven't done this but should since it allows the oil to run freely from the turbo.
I didn't need to do anything to the engine mounts, unless you want the engine to sit upright instead of at 50 degrees, then you dont need to change the oilpan, pump or turbo drain but need an adapter to mount the engine This took me and a friend eight hours and was my first engine swap.
Take a look at www.vwdiesel.net for more info on VW diesels and some Vanagon installs they know as much about VW diesels as the Samba knows about all other VW's
This has given me a lot more power but you will want to swap in a gasser tranny to improve the gear ratios and reduce the tranny whine which will be very loud and annoying.

are the tdi engines reliable as the sdi are?
is it the same process to fit a tdi or a sdi?
if so i could look for a tdi,they are plainfull around here and it will be faster
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TDI engines have computer controlled fuel injection along with the accompanying sensors, wiring harness and ECU. Many have sidestepped the complication of the added electronics by fitting m-TDI injection pumps (mechanical-TDI), but either way it makes the install either more expensive or more complicated (or both) than the earlier IDI installs. The TDI motors are also lower revving engines and so if one was fitting a gearing change would be mandatory and would even be best suited with custom gearing. The SDI motors are motors are direct injection engines without the turbo charger. Much less powerful than the TDI engines.
kumo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found a 1900 TDI 110 hp (code AFN, pulled from a golf) engine for a resonable price.would it fit and would be possible to keep the electronic instead of switching to a mechanical pump?
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: what engine fit directly an '83 1600 diesel vanagon? Reply with quote

Would a 1.5 L Diésel from a Golf work in a Vanagon?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: what engine fit directly an '83 1600 diesel vanagon? Reply with quote

A 1.5 diesel would bolt up but be a terrible engine to use. It is even more gutless than the stock 1.6 non-turbo.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: