Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

Steel coolant pipes if you haven't already done it.

I'll be really curious how you like the setup with the AT. I assume your transmission will have stock gearing for now?

I initially converted to the 2.0T but removed the turbo due to recurrent issues that disrupted reliability for me. I am now underpowered with the NA setup and the 3.27 R/p I did with the original conversion, but it sure runs nice!
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

Hi Red Beard, yes I'll be leaving the automatic transmission stock. I don't like to change too many things at the same time. First, it's more expensive Laughing , second I like to differentiate between modifications, understand which mod has more impact. It gives me a better feel of the mechanics of the van. Third, it's easier to troubleshoot of something goes wrong.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

Good news: engine ships tomorrow. Dancing

If I raise the rear of the van on 8" ramps, I'll have approx. 24" of clearance at the rear. Is that enough?
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

Van is raised, I have 28-29" of clearance. Should be fine.

I gave in to your suggestions and ordered some stainless steel coolant lines from Werke1/GoWesty.

FAS folks: is the cooling tower retained in the FAS setup or do I remove it?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(Image credit GoWesty)
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

Every time this thread pops up, I find myself wandering over the the FAS site and doing irrational expenditure calculations in my head. I really REALLY wanted to use their MK3 mount setup on my engine but my supercharger won't fit at 50 degrees.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Every time this thread pops up, I find myself wandering over the the FAS site and doing irrational expenditure calculations in my head. I really REALLY wanted to use their MK3 mount setup on my engine but my supercharger won't fit at 50 degrees.

Hey Joe, with all the if's and but's you think through, just raise your bar, get more buses!!!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2222274.jpg
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
joetiger wrote:

Hey Joe, with all the if's and but's you think through, just raise your bar, get more buses!!!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2222274.jpg

Ha! First I need the good yard for them!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:

Not an FAS guy but have two I4 gas conversions. Neither uses that part and I doubt the FAS kit uses it. Images in their gallery suggest same:

http://www.foreignautosupply.com/photo-galleries/fastt-photo-gallery/

e.g.

http://www.foreignautosupply.com/media/galleries/images/COOLANT_PIPES_PCS.JPG

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:

I gave in to your suggestions and ordered some stainless steel coolant lines from Werke1/GoWesty.

(Image credit GoWesty)

Nope, not mine anyway. All the hoses are replaced, and can be replaced with hoses from any FLAPS.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

The answer I was hoping for. Cheers.

Vanagon Nut wrote:
VicVan wrote:

Not an FAS guy but have two I4 gas conversions. Neither uses that part and I doubt the FAS kit uses it. Images in their gallery suggest same:

http://www.foreignautosupply.com/photo-galleries/fastt-photo-gallery/

e.g.

http://www.foreignautosupply.com/media/galleries/images/COOLANT_PIPES_PCS.JPG

Neil.

Thanks Neil. How did I miss their photo gallery? I'll head over there now and drool a little bit.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

You're welcome VicVan.

Yeah, that link is at the bottom of their home page. They used to have (still do?) a "beta" album of stuff that was really cool. To my mind, IIRC, it provided some insight into the manufacturing and/or design processes.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

Almost done disconnecting the engine from the van.

A couple of questions :

1/ Will the large ECU connector (under the rear bench) fit through the hole in the firewall?
2/ How do you remove the accelerator cable (coming from the front) from the transmission (automatic)?

If I get these two sorted out tomorrow, I'm left with CV joints and I'll be ready to remove the engine+transmission on Sunday.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:

1/ Will the large ECU connector (under the rear bench) fit through the hole in the firewall?

Yes.

This pic isn't so great but might shed some light. I got the ECU plug out as shown but I think turning it (and harness) would help.

edit: it's possible the cover comes off the plug which would obviously help.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

I honestly can’t remember how to remove the cable, which generally means I followed the Bentley and/or YouTube.
Connector does not fit pretty sure. EDIT and look wrong again!

I’m with joetiger can’t wait for the rest of this thread, go FAS!
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

Thanks for the above tips. I had to unscrew the side panel of the bench to give me more wiggle room to remove the ECU connector.
As for throttle cable, removing the ball is a pain. I ended up removing the L-shaped lever from the transmission altogether, and will remove the ball from the socket on the bench.

Only thing left in the way are CV joints (and whatever I have forgotten of course). I'll be removing the engine today.

In the meantime, here's what I found in the coolant tank:

Amagnetic and real shiny, most likely aluminium. Water pump bearing/axle gave up a year ago on the highway, I believe that's when this happened.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

Engine is out! Feels good, and weird.

Shoutout to Alex and Wayne, who were not afraid by the near-freezing temperatures, and came to help. And second thanks to Wayne for lending me his engine hoist. It helped!

Don't know what to start next. Transmission/engine separation? Rust-proofing the engine compartment? Installing those stainless steel collant lines?
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:

Hi VicVan.
I see you're planning on replacing a bunch of coolant pipes.
Don't overlook Concept 1 as a supplier.

They're Canadian, Calgary and I've found their prices are comparable or even better than the other suppliers.
Most things arrive within the week.
I've purchased all the coolant pipes in stainless from them.

https://store.concept1.ca/

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:

Don't know what to start next. Transmission/engine separation? Rust-proofing the engine compartment? Installing those stainless steel collant lines?

coolant lines and maybe a quick flush of whatever other cooling hoses remain?

looking forward to seeing the new setup in there!

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

That gunk in your cooling system looks like the vestigial remnants of a stop leak product.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

9.5isCanadian wrote:
VicVan wrote:

Hi VicVan.
I see you're planning on replacing a bunch of coolant pipes.
Don't overlook Concept 1 as a supplier.

They're Canadian, Calgary and I've found their prices are comparable or even better than the other suppliers.
Most things arrive within the week.
I've purchased all the coolant pipes in stainless from them.

https://store.concept1.ca/

I use them too, but unfortunately they are out of stock of the stainless steel coolant lines (or were when I ordered anyway).

valvecovergasket wrote:
VicVan wrote:

coolant lines and maybe a quick flush of whatever other cooling hoses remain?

looking forward to seeing the new setup in there!

Yup, I'm changing the main coolant lines to stainless, and will flush what's left.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: