Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vana Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

This is so awesome!
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Got my emulator soldered in and ready to play. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive tablet suitable for use with the emulator? Note, I am probably the least tech savvy individual on this forum.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vana Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Best to get what DigiMatrix recommends. You don't want to be struggling with compatibility issues.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Vana Guy wrote:
Best to get what DigiMatrix recommends. You don't want to be struggling with compatibility issues.

Sorry, I am no help in this arena - I have nothing to do with ALDLdroid except supply the ADX file that works with the Emulator. I have a Samsung S7 phone and it works fine. I don't know what others are using. Maybe they can post what is known working. Some of the device's file managers don't see the required folder properly to allow you to copy the ADX to the required location. The fix is to download a free file manager from the Google Play Store. Not all, but some of them will get around this issue.
Digifant ECU with knock sensor and custom
cylinder selective knock control by me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

I've got experience with Pixel phones. Right now, a Pixel 2 unlocked (non-Verizon) can be loaded with Android 11 from here:

https://download.lineageos.org/walleye

That should get you a few years of ability to use Apps of any modern seller of Apps. Although it takes some steps to install lineageos, it has weekly updates, and you won't get some hack done to you by the bad guys... Someone locking me out of my ECU EMU due to an old easily hacked device would not be fun.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Playing around with creating my own readout displays and seeing what works.

On my cell phone, a "One Plus+" I created a 2nd page and it worked for a few times, but now when I try to slide over to it in vertical display the ALDLdroid APP closes on my phone.
So haven't tried that in horizontal mode as I use g- maps in vertical display.

On my tablet, a Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite, having a bigger finger swipe surface it is no problem so I think it might just be my phone screen size.

The 1st page is vertical and when I rotate the tablet horizontal I only get the furst two rows and what was below that does not show as they did not go horizontal and are below the screen.
The 2nd page I made horizontal and that works. Then there is my "Fantasy Page"!

2nd Page
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fantasy Screen
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Unfortunately, the roll & pitch are not showing any movement so maybe they are not active as phone sensors.

When creating the readouts you can overlap them like I did with the Roll & Pitch having the Bearing & Altitude placed inside them.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Steve M
On my phone, the vertical vs horizontal screens are 2 separate independent setups. Have you tried to resize the individual items by editing them and re-spacing them.

I think the initial layouts are generic based on the ADX items.

Also, have you played with your AFM? That reading looks low for idle - looking at a video of mine (stock original AFM), it shows 1.447 volts at 870 RPM with a fully warm engine. Maybe you have air bypassing around your AFM somewhere???
Vana Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

The flapper door on the AFM might be a little sticky, or the wiper contacts might be a little dirty? Maybe air filter needs change?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:

Also, have you played with your AFM? That reading looks low for idle - looking at a video of mine (stock original AFM), it shows 1.447 volts at 870 RPM with a fully warm engine. Maybe you have air bypassing around your AFM somewhere???

This was a spare AFM I just put in last night to see the performance.
What you are not seeing in a still photo is the erratic RPM readings.

The rpm is surging up and down. With the AFM readings are going up and down because of this. So this was at a low reading.
The "surge" is not something I am really hearing in engine sound so it is not the surging as seen in the idle surgng threads.
I've checked the vacuum sources and from what I see they are all sound and not seeing any change when I move or squeeze rubber around to see if there are any changes.
Your comment is going to have me go back and check them again.
Thinking it is time to blow some smoke up the exhaust.

The rpm surge is across the full rpm range and not at any one throttle setting.
With this AFM it has again gone outside of the low 900 range and 1000. The AFM I'm putting back in it was about 30 rpm up and down from 950.
So I'm not getting a steady reading on anything as the rpm is not seady.

Granted, the digital response is so fast it is going to see every bit of movement, but putting a timing light on the pulley mark where you can see them sit exactly where you adjust them to just isn't happening. I can't see the timing marks to check timing because they are just not sitting steady.
So the Emulator is good for showing me where timing is close to, but the reading is jumping because of the rpm.

DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

One other thought, have you tested the Idle Stabilization System using the Digifant Pro Training manual? Surging idle is a sign that the ISV is not working correctly. This is the one component that the ECU is not controlling, so other than showing the results with RPM, the Emulator doesn't help with determining what is wrong with the Idle Stabilization system.

Also, in the share for the Emulator documents, I have a video of my engine idling for quite some time if you want to compare to yours.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:
One other thought, have you tested the Idle Stabilization System using the Digifant Pro Training manual? Surging idle is a sign that the ISV is not working correctly. This is the one component that the ECU is not controlling, so other than showing the results with RPM, the Emulator doesn't help with determining what is wrong with the Idle Stabilization system.

Also, in the share for the Emulator documents, I have a video of my engine idling for quite some time if you want to compare to yours.

Yes, Tested it, routinely clean it with cleaner so no gummy deposits in it. Now thinking about going into the wire harness and replacing the wiring from the Ign. Coil, Power Steering switch and the temp sensor just to know 100% that the wiring is good.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:

I copied your screen displays after watching your video and made a video of how mine is running.
I posted it on the thread I started on using the Emulator to diagnose the RPM surge.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=759927&start=20

DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:
natejohn wrote:
Has anyone taken any vids of them installing/soldering? I'm not worried about tackling it I just like watching the process. I must have watched Akers videos on his suspension rebuild a dozen times before I started the work myself.

There is a picture of an alternate location on the one drive share of the documentation if you prefer. It is an easier location to solder but requires a longer wire. I would do a video, but I have a de-soldering station that most people wouldn't have so it is pointless. It heats and sucks the solder with one device and is a tool I wish I had bought years ago.

So I am really red faced on this. I was trying to help BobbyB with his second Emulator as he described issues he was having. So, tonight when I got home from work, I double checked and the third option of connecting to pin 20 is NOT an option. The Bluetooth module will connect, but the signal from the ECU is inverted when connecting to this point, so the Emulator will connect to the Bluetooth module, but you won't get any data because the signal is wrong.

I will update the Emulator installation instructions to reflect this - so sorry to anyone this may have created an issue for. I was trying to make the soldering easier for people, but in turned created a bigger issue.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Pushing boundaries takes a few ideas that are only bad in retrospect. You're doing great and this is a real service to the community.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Pushing boundaries takes a few ideas that are only bad in retrospect. You're doing great and this is a real service to the community.

Second that compliment!

Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Don,

Thanks much for sorting the #20 issue. I was going a bit bonkers.. Was not willing to bring it up here, I assumed I had made yet another mistake, and repeatedly took my ECU back apart (to check my work)!! I hope that did not slow anyone else down on their attempts..

Really learning a lot from this tool!! Thank you!

-bobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

Went back to the earlier connection location. sorry, I hope it's just me, but i've looked it over a handful of times. Got the thru hole behind 88/89 desoldered, and resoldered. very certain i got it right. Same scenario. Not convinced your #20 solder point is wrong. Something else is in play. No voltage report, after forgetting old EMUBT, adding new BT device, setting ALDAdroid for new EMUBT.
Just perplexed, no blame. This is a game in progress, and I am glad to be in the court with you on it. !! so much honor in being with you on this project, glad to assist as able:

-bobby.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

CessnaJon wrote:
Got my emulator soldered in and ready to play. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive tablet suitable for use with the emulator? Note, I am probably the least tech savvy individual on this forum.

Since my Samsung tablet now has a cracked screen I saw this tablet on Amazon for 100 bucks. Android 10 so it should work well enough. You might need to download a free "File Manager" to access storage location for the ADX file.
The file manager I downloaded through Google Play Store to get it working on the Samsung S6 Lite is called " Cx File Explorer".

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0957N89ZN/ref=sspa_dk_d...l&th=1

I bought a replacement screen for my Samsung for 85 bucks on eBay.

Last edited by Steve M. on Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:11 am; edited 2 times in total
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:
Steve M
On my phone, the vertical vs horizontal screens are 2 separate independent setups. Have you tried to resize the individual items by editing them and re-spacing them.

I think the initial layouts are generic based on the ADX items.

My phone display started working better after I went into the settings and checked the option to force it into horizontal display when it opens.

I saw that you have 4 pages available on your ALDLdroid. How did you get the extra page? Mine only has 3 and not seeing how to add a page.

For anyone just getting started with ALDLdroid you double-tap a screen and it will go into "Edit" mode where you can move the readouts around and two finger resize them.

DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: WBX Emulator - real time data, onboard diagnostics and tuning Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I have the information on how to edit and get the extra screen in the supplied pdf file for setting up ALDLdroid. Maybe re-read it now that you have some experience.
To get the extra pages, drag an item placed on page 3 to the right and it will create the 4th page. Caution, don't make more pages than you need because there is no way to remove them without resetting and starting over again
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 31

Jump to: