Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starter Issue - replace or something else?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Issue - replace or something else? Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
aeromech wrote:
Larry, I tried sending you my regular payment for endorsements but it didn’t go through

No endorsement fee requested or desired. The primary reason we still have our bus is that people like you and Telford and Robbie are available to do all the work that I no longer can do or wish to do. Glad I could help out Ryan (?) and his nice puppy.

I think you fell into the sarchasm, OB… Laughing

Telford…where can you get MEK nowadays? Take the 5th if necessary
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Issue - replace or something else? Reply with quote

Telford…where can you get MEK nowadays?

Just about anywhere beyond California borders
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Issue - replace or something else? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Telford…where can you get MEK nowadays?

Just about anywhere beyond California borders

I can get it shipped to the business but not home here in NY

I got some Cl F6 shipped to my home once by accident, I was not happy about that. Horrible stuff. It sets sand on fire.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Issue - replace or something else? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

A fifth won't cut it - need a whole quart.

In my case, carefully rationed old stock. Also hoard small quantities of toluene, xylene, methylene chloride (acrylic glue, also used in Christmas bubble lamps), methanol, trichloroethylene, freon TF (for mixing up the original Cramolin contact cleaners from concentrate), ... all old stock, procured before the state went nuts. Even have a part of a gallon of Ditzler DZL-105 ultra high gloss lacquer thinner. Don't hardly use much of any of this stuff, but when you need it, you need it.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Issue - replace or something else? Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Abscate wrote:

A fifth won't cut it - need a whole quart.

In my case, carefully rationed old stock. Also hoard small quantities of toluene, xylene, methylene chloride (acrylic glue, also used in Christmas bubble lamps), methanol, trichloroethylene, freon TF (for mixing up the original Cramolin contact cleaners from concentrate), ... all old stock, procured before the state went nuts. Even have a part of a gallon of Ditzler DZL-105 ultra high gloss lacquer thinner. Don't hardly use much of any of this stuff, but when you need it, you need it.

I can still get most of those solvents here except the TCE. I know it’s a pain for us who actually make stuff, but your air is shared with 10x M people.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Issue - replace or something else? Reply with quote

Don't think that my little quart of MEK, consumed over the next ten years, is going to make a whole lot of difference. Now the millions of cans of R12 powered hair spray squirted into the atmosphere in the '50's and '60's, yeah, that made a difference. Consider that the natural scent of flowers is based on keytones. Lots of them around. Perspective...

I probably do more damage from farts than from anything else...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Issue - replace or something else? Reply with quote

probably do more damage from farts than from anything else..

I can attest to that
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Issue - replace or something else? Reply with quote

Let's see - denatured alcohol we found at West Marine. MEK is NLA in CA. When mine was gone, it was gone. Acetone is still available but expensive. West Marine also has MEK in other states but it is outlawed here. Funny thing is that smash and grab, rioting to get equity or condemn the USA, in California will get you a cheap ticket, but smuggling MEK in will land you in prison.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Issue - replace or something else? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Let's see - denatured alcohol we found at West Marine. MEK is NLA in CA. When mine was gone, it was gone. Acetone is still available but expensive. West Marine also has MEK in other states but it is outlawed here. Funny thing is that smash and grab, rioting to get equity or condemn the USA, in California will get you a cheap ticket, but smuggling MEK in will land you in prison.

You left off create fake bank accounts, falsifying your blood analysis machine, or selling houses to people with no income and repackaging them as securities.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Issue - replace or something else? Reply with quote

Update: Jan 2, 2022

The engine is installed and running. Just finished fabricating a stand for the oil bath air cleaner (thank you Telford). Believe me or not but adding the oil bath made the engine run much better. Still have a few minor issues but the bus is now road worthy. Here's some pics.

New 1800 stroker

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: