Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to pimp the ice box in a so23?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunter wrote:
Perello,

My 66 So-44 Westy Dormobile
has the same type of factory propane fridge
in it.

Even makes ice in a ice cube tray!

Bastard bus did you forget? You use to own it!

Gunter

Yes, but I am 99% positive that was an aftermarket install in my old
so-44. That so-44 fridge set up definitely looks hacked in and there is no
"proper" vent for the exhaust. For how safety conscious VW and Westfalia were I can not see them installing a propane burning set up that vents directly into an enclosed area. If you look at the earliest Westfalia propane fridge there is provisions for a roof mounted vent for the propane exhaust. As well all later factory documented propane fridges "always" had an exhaust vent to the oustide of the vehicle.

To top it off I was never able to find any Westfalia documentation of any kind to support the availability of a fridge unit available for that bus.
Every other propane fridge westfalia used previous and later is document
in literature and brochures.

I was very curious about the fridge in this `58 as it was such an early transition bus and there was a documented fridge for the earlier style interior in `58. But I must say the lack of any exhaust vent on this so-23s reinforces it for me that it is more then likely and aftermarket install.
Samba Member #95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fact is, there is an exhaust, but I didn't take a picture of it. Wink

Wether at that time westfalia was or not considering the use of propane fridges to use in the so23 is uncertain to me, but looking at the cabinet is hard to see it as a "hack". This so23 has other differences from later models that I will be posting and discussing.

Anyway I do consider it as dangerous and difficult to restore/maintain, so I'll remove it.
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of those modern up grades are nice. However I removed the back of the ice box and all the old fiber glass insulation in mine and replaced it with that foam in a can stuff from Home Depot. It really improved how long it stayed cold just using ice. Be careful when filling using the foam so you don't bulge the sides. Oh, when I once tried a couple of pounds of dry ice the door froze shut and everything inside froze solid. Shocked

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perello wrote:
fact is, there is an exhaust, but I didn't take a picture of it. Wink

Wether at that time westfalia was or not considering the use of propane fridges to use in the so23 is uncertain to me, but looking at the cabinet is hard to see it as a "hack". This so23 has other differences from later models that I will be posting and discussing.

Anyway I do consider it as dangerous and difficult to restore/maintain, so I'll remove it.

First glance at the inside of your ice box screams hack.
That extra piece of plastic screwed in there were a hole was cut to stick in the coils does NOT look like Westfalia's handy work. I would think it would be a much cleaner install then that. Take a look at the quality install of an early `58 style fridge and you will see what I am speaking of.

Like I said your bus is an early oddball so-23 and that is about the only
reason I think there is a window or possibilty it could be authentic...but it sure looks "hacky" to me.

Obviously the owner of a vehicle with something odd and questionable always wants it to be some rare factory option but more then usual it is not. Myself being the arse-hole I am, I always have to have some sort of factory documentation or another 2-3 examples in exisitance with the same set up.

Were is your propane tank installed at? Do you have photos of that set up as well? Westfalia also had a VERY well thought out and secure set up for the propane tanks. They were not something just tossed into a closet or cabinet.
Samba Member #95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe it is a hack. I think it was a option.

My interior of the S0-44 ice box has the same white plastic and screws
that Perello's ice box has. A hack job wouldn't have the same
interior. Also it is the same unit shape in the back. Coils and structure
are the same as his as well. Even the valve is red like his pic.

Also the og gas bottle that came in my bus is not propane, but butane.
The guys at the propane place here in town wouldn't refill it because of this!

Butane has less gas exhaust in it than propane, burns pure. So
a vent outside isn't necessary. Most camping gas cylinders are still butane in Germany not propane.
I bought one from Blackdog99 Corey here on the samba.
His cylinder came from a dormobile and is dated 1986 and contained butane which was for the butane stove I bought from him.

My bus had this stove in it. Black rubs spots line up the same on the counter as the feet on the stove unit and another SO-44 here on the samba has the same stove in it.
Neither have a vent for the exhaust.

I have also had my icebox burn propane (run) for an entire weekend with no smell inside the bus.

Also my butane cylinder was mounted inside the closet on the floor
with a leather strap attached to the inside of the closet to secure it.

Sometimes documents are lost, people say it isn't a option, then
documents surface to show it indeed was a option.
That has been proven on this site before.

Gunter
Gunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO-44 Document (rechnung is bill) from Westfalia

with no provision for the stove. Could apply to the icebox.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/250565.jpg

Maybe it was included in the kit? Like the icebox is/was.
First line of Camping Kit 2,540.00 dm.

Don't see his tent listed either, but his bus came with it.
Document came from Type2meister's of SO-44 Dormobile!

Gunter
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunter wrote:
I don't believe it is a hack. I think it was a option.

My interior of the S0-44 ice box has the same white plastic and screws
that Perello's ice box has. A hack job wouldn't have the same
interior. Also it is the same unit shape in the back. Coils and structure
are the same as his as well. Even the valve is red like his pic.

Also the og gas bottle that came in my bus is not propane, but butane.
The guys at the propane place here in town wouldn't refill it because of this!

Butane has less gas exhaust in it than propane, burns pure. So
a vent outside isn't necessary. Most camping gas cylinders are still butane in Germany not propane.
I bought one from Blackdog99 Corey here on the samba.
His cylinder came from a dormobile and is dated 1986 and contained butane which was for the butane stove I bought from him.

My bus had this stove in it. Black rubs spots line up the same on the counter as the feet on the stove unit and another SO-44 here on the samba has the same stove in it.
Neither have a vent for the exhaust.

I have also had my icebox burn propane (run) for an entire weekend with no smell inside the bus.

Also my butane cylinder was mounted inside the closet on the floor
with a leather strap attached to the inside of the closet to secure it.

Sometimes documents are lost, people say it isn't a option, then
documents surface to show it indeed was a option.
That has been proven on this site before.

Gunter

Steve, I think we should just agree to disagree...LOL.
Remember your bus was mine LONG before you knew it even exsisted. I researched this fridge in depth with help of Michael Steinke who is THE godfather of Westys. If folks don't know who he is...do some research on the man. At the time he had access to Westfalia's private museum and historic files at the time. We found
no proof that this fridge was available for that bus at the time.
We could be entirely wrong but without any documents it has always looked awful hacky to me.

As I mentioned folks who own something "odd" always want it to be real and will justify it in anyway possible. One can make assumptions about butane tanks, rub marks and fairies dancing in the woods...but in the end they are all still nothing but assumptions, period. Try and use that as proof in a court of law and they will laugh at you.

I am not saying definitively either fridge is a hack but I am pretty damn sure unless there is proof. Proof (to an arse-hole like me) is a piece of documentation or another bus with the exact set up, which I only require one..I think Lind said it would take 2-3 other examples to prove something to him LOL.

Not knocking anybodie's bus especially yours steve...hey it used to be mine I am the one that dug that out of a barn 20 years ago and saved it from death! it is a great bus...I just hold proof of a cars correctness to a high standard... I guess I am too picky...what a bastard huh.. Wink
Samba Member #95
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone explain how this galvanized box fits inside this so-23 ice-box?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that is a 59/60 ice tray which fits in this style of icebox . whereas the icebox pictured in the ad is from a 1961 so-23. I imagine if you took out one of the shelves it would fit on the bottom shelf though.

Wolfsburg Classics
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look closer at the pics of the ice box in Lenny's add, that ice box tapers toward the top so its a 60-61 ice box and would fit on the top shelve where it tapers in....

A '59 box is totally square and unique, and wil fit the '59 cool box which both are '59 only.The differences you can see in the above pics.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how that metal box could fit in the ice-box in the pic.

Maybee fit if you removed some of the shelves?

Anyone have one of metal cooler boxes that could take a few measurments? Looks pretty straightfoward to make.

Length, width, height of the box and the measurment of the inner lip would be great.

Looking at this pic, it looks like I can figure out the length and height; just need the width and the 2 measuments for the inner lip.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/376840.jpg

Anyone know of a seal that would work with the earlier style of ice-box?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Wolfsburg Classics
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StockNazi

For what year bus do you need the measurements??
I did a run of '59 only boxes a few years back and might be able to help.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfsburg Classics wrote:
StockNazi

For what year bus do you need the measurements??
I did a run of '59 only boxes a few years back and might be able to help.
My bus is a Dec. 59 with the earlier style icebox.

I think I can determine the width since I have the wooden supports. If you have the depth of the box and the 2 measurments of the inner lip, that would be helpful. I think I will try to bend one up from a sheet of galvanized stock.

Any idea where I could get a door seal? Mine was missing so I don't have anything to reference for a replacment.

Thanks for any help.

Thomas Jefferson
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: How to pimp the ice box in a so23? Reply with quote

Has anyone found seal that would look correct for the earlier 59-60 SO-23 ice-box? There seems to be a 60-61 and flipseat version available that attaches to the ice-box door, but not for the earlier seal that attaches directly to the cabinet.

Maybe a good pic of the profile of this seal?

Thomas Jefferson
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: