Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Roman’s Rust Bucket ('67 Beetle)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Roman’s Rust Bucket ('67 Beetle) Reply with quote

chickensoup pt 2 wrote:
Applause Applause very nice work!

Thanks! I am currently quite busy with college, but Christmas break is almost here!

My plan for Christmas break is to:
1. Finish the rear wheel wells
2. Weld the "new" luggage tray on from the parts bug
3. Weld "new" rear bumper brackets on from the parts bug
4. Sandblast and weld the rear apron back on
5. Start preparing for the process of welding the front clip on (this will be quite challenging)
•(__)•
(O\!/O) <--- supposed to look like a beetle Very Happy
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Roman’s Rust Bucket ('67 Beetle) Reply with quote

sounds like a plan. if you need insight on how to replace the front clip, feel free to pm me or ask here in your thread. i found a great method I used on my 65. hood and fenders line up as good or better than new.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Roman’s Rust Bucket ('67 Beetle) Reply with quote

chickensoup pt 2 wrote:
sounds like a plan. if you need insight on how to replace the front clip, feel free to pm me or ask here in your thread. i found a great method I used on my 65. hood and fenders line up as good or better than new.

I will definitely be needing your advice. Currently, I am thinking of doing something like this. This jig would allow me to have something to base all of my measurements, etc. off of. It would also serve as a rigid structure where I know everything is correct.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

•(__)•
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Roman’s Rust Bucket ('67 Beetle) Reply with quote

that works, but is a little over kill. how far back does your donor piece go? on the side of the fron clip, there are some excellent reference points such as the wire harness holes.

a few things to add,

your going to realize, how do i cut the apron off, so i know its straight up and down at the cutting point? well, you know the gas tank rails the tank sits on? use that. i tried using a T square place ontop of the rail, but its very hard to draw a straight line with it,

instead, go to ace, or some place, and buy this lazer thing... yeah, sorry, i know thats real descriptive Laughing mine was a bosch brand. it projects a coordinate plane(x axis line and y axis), that can can adjust to square up against a desired edge. when your done, return it. mine was like 80 bucks. real handy tho.

simply clamp it to the quarter panel your not trying to mark, and point it at the crease where the gas tank rail starts to roll up towards the inside of the quarter panel. when the x axis is parallel to the rail, your ready to trace the projected y axis.

another fantastic idea that helped me out ALOT, is to find some square tubing. when you cut off your old apron, slip that tubing inside the gas tank rail. why? because you can drill two holes per side, through the rail sheet metal and into the tubing. then take some self tapping screws and install them.

this is tricky to explain, but the goal is once you have your donar apron cut(using the lazer method), you need to have the gas tank rails flush. a clamp isnt enough to hold the weight of the new clip. slide the new clip over the square tubing which youve inserted inside the tank rail, and then tighten the screws. now your clip is flush, and supported. and as any extra, you have tubing inside the rail which makes the front stronger. you can spot weld the square tube as well.

i have some pictures ill post in a second.

one more thing. if you have enough material on your donar clip, use the wire harness holes. simply take a ruler or calipers, and mark say 6mm left of the hole. then do the same on your old front clip. when using the lazer, line the y axis up with that mark youve made(on the inside of the panel!), as well as the x(tank rail), so you know your at 90 degrees.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Roman’s Rust Bucket ('67 Beetle) Reply with quote

you can see a sliver missing on the passenger side. ignore that. i had it perfect, but my father took the flap disc to it Evil or Very Mad

drivers side

insert square tubing here. leave a few inches so you have enough for the new clip to slde onto.

this is the laser i used. just found out laser isnt lazer lol

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-GLL25-10-Leveling-Cro...7150247648
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Roman’s Rust Bucket ('67 Beetle) Reply with quote

Thank you for the helpful reply. When I tried tackling the front clip over the summer, I also realized that the gas tank braces needed to be cut perfectly, so that the front clip could be held up to the old one. What I was thinking is that I would have some overlap, and then I could cut through both front clips at once. This would avoid having a gap that is too large. However, the trouble that I found with this method was that there are so many curves/bends in the front clip, making it hard to line it up perfectly.

Your method seems like it would work quite well. I will definitely pm you when the time comes near.
•(__)•
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Roman’s Rust Bucket ('67 Beetle) Reply with quote

Well, since the government decided to remove Methylene Chloride (DCM) from the paint strippers, I decided add it back in.

The results were underwhelming. The first test that I did was a 2:1 mixture of paint stripper to DCM. It seemed to remove the paint quite well, but the primer was still stuck on there pretty good.

In the future, I will add more DCM, as the original SDS indicated that DCM was 80-100% of the stripper.
•(__)•
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Roman’s Rust Bucket ('67 Beetle) Reply with quote

Belive it or not I got citristrip to work for stripping, just leave it covered for a week, or anything cover for a week or two and it should strip the paint off. And some heat helps stripper too, the hotter the better it strips
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Roman’s Rust Bucket ('67 Beetle) Reply with quote

Hey Roman I suggest not stripping it. Original paint is a fantastic base to work from. I'd sand it down with the suggested grit on the primer and go from there.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Roman’s Rust Bucket ('67 Beetle) Reply with quote

I’ve given up on the plastic bag trick with methylene chloride based strippers. I’ve found a more efficient way for me anyway.

I apply the stripper over a couple of square feet and wait a couple of minutes then use some stainless steel wool and just rub it off, cleaning the wool in water as it clogs up. No scraping but a little bit of physical effort.

You actually don’t want to wait too long as the stripper dries out too quickly so that’s why I only do a small amount. You want to strip it off before it dries too much.

ItIt sounds like a lot of work but it’s quicker and cleaner than other methods. You need to experiment on how long to leave it react. I found it actually is better for a short time than a long time.
dieselbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Roman’s Rust Bucket ('67 Beetle) Reply with quote

I'm also stripping paint on my 67. Went to the hardware store for paint stripper and they told me it doesn't work like it use to. So I used a heat gun and razor blade. Works great and less mess.

dieselbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Roman’s Rust Bucket ('67 Beetle) Reply with quote

One more thing make sure all the insulation is removed when doing the roof and other panels. The panels get pretty hot while stripping the paint.
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Roman’s Rust Bucket ('67 Beetle) Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Hey Roman I suggest not stripping it. Original paint is a fantastic base to work from. I'd sand it down with the suggested grit on the primer and go from there.

I am not sure if it is the original paint or not. On some parts of the car, I can see a different primer that was used and on other parts it goes directly to the white primer (which I think is original). What I would prefer to do is to sand the repainted base coat off and use the original primer as a base to work off of.

My goal with the stripper was to get the repainted coat off, but I worry that it will diminish the quality of the original primer...even if I sand it afterwards.
•(__)•
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Roman’s Rust Bucket ('67 Beetle) Reply with quote

dieselbuggy wrote:
I'm also stripping paint on my 67. Went to the hardware store for paint stripper and they told me it doesn't work like it use to. So I used a heat gun and razor blade. Works great and less mess.

dieselbuggy wrote:
One more thing make sure all the insulation is removed when doing the roof and other panels. The panels get pretty hot while stripping the paint.

Does that not cause warping, as you are introducing a lot of heat?
•(__)•
dieselbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Roman’s Rust Bucket ('67 Beetle) Reply with quote

I heat it up just enough to get the blade started under the paint. It's hot, but doesn't bubble the paint. No warping. I have to admit that doing the roof has been hard. Paint is baked on from being a southern car and it had a crappy repaint many years ago. Hood and the other panels were easier, some areas had 4 coats or more of primer/paint.
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Roman’s Rust Bucket ('67 Beetle) Reply with quote

dieselbuggy wrote:
I heat it up just enough to get the blade started under the paint. It's hot, but doesn't bubble the paint. No warping. I have to admit that doing the roof has been hard. Paint is baked on from being a southern car and it had a crappy repaint many years ago. Hood and the other panels were easier, some areas had 4 coats or more of primer/paint.

Ah okay. How long does it take to remove the paint?
•(__)•
dieselbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Roman’s Rust Bucket ('67 Beetle) Reply with quote

4-5 hours. Roof is 3/4 done.
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Roman’s Rust Bucket ('67 Beetle) Reply with quote

dieselbuggy wrote:
4-5 hours. Roof is 3/4 done.

Wow, that is significantly faster than I expected.

I'm leaning toward using as much stripper as I can to remove the paint and then sandblasting the rest. That way I don't have to blast for very long at all...minimizing the risk of warping the metal.
•(__)•
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Roman’s Rust Bucket ('67 Beetle) Reply with quote

If you can get your hands on some genuine aircraft paint stripper, that stuff works amazing and is still full strength! I'm not talking about the "aircraft stripper" they sell in the auto parts stores, as that is a joke and isn't the real stuff anymore. I realize that might be easier said then done, as I'm lucky that we have a supplier about an hour away that I can just drive to and pick up 5 gallons worth. The company is called Benco Sales.

My boss bought some last year for a project he's working on and they had the plane stripped to bare aluminum in no time using that stuff. Super nasty however and will born your skin instantly if it gets on it. Proper PPE is an absolute must while using it.

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Roman’s Rust Bucket ('67 Beetle) Reply with quote

Bug-nut wrote:
If you can get your hands on some genuine aircraft paint stripper, that stuff works amazing and is still full strength! I'm not talking about the "aircraft stripper" they sell in the auto parts stores, as that is a joke and isn't the real stuff anymore. I realize that might be easier said then done, as I'm lucky that we have a supplier about an hour away that I can just drive to and pick up 5 gallons worth. The company is called Benco Sales.

My boss bought some last year for a project he's working on and they had the plane stripped to bare aluminum in no time using that stuff. Super nasty however and will born your skin instantly if it gets on it. Proper PPE is an absolute must while using it.

I did not know that DCM-based stripper was still available for purchase. I'll give them a call, as I'll be down in that area during Christmas break. How much does the stripper cost?
•(__)•
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: