Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil pump access without pulling engine
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zopapp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: oil pump access without pulling engine Reply with quote

hi all,

I have a low oil pressure issue at start on my not so long ago rebuilt 2l air-cooled engine (CU motor code). Theory is that oil oozes back into the pan as air can get into the pump as I think i never installed an O ring into the pump. (Sure enough, I found the O ring in the gasket kit on the shelf…)

Oil pressure is otherwise looking good, 15 psi at around 1200 RPM hot nicely creeping up to 45 psi when I rev the engine. At cold at idle it is around 60 psi.

I am planning to fix the issue, that made me think weather I can get access to the pump without pulling the engine. There are some threads on this topic, but I could not find a definite answer for my case.

thanks in advance,
cheers,
Zoltan
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pump access without pulling engine Reply with quote

I think it is possible, though it may be more difficult to do with the engine in the car than just pulling the engine.

You would have to remove the muffler, the rear tin, the fan, and the fan housing.

I think there is also a mounting bar that goes across the width of the engine at the rear of the engine. This may or may not block access to the oil pump (I don't remember, but I suspect it probably does). At that point you should have access to the pump.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pump access without pulling engine Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
I think it is possible, though it may be more difficult to do with the engine in the car than just pulling the engine.

You would have to remove the muffler, the rear tin, the fan, and the fan housing.

I think there is also a mounting bar that goes across the width of the engine at the rear of the engine. This may or may not block access to the oil pump (I don't remember, but I suspect it probably does). At that point you should have access to the pump.

On a waterboxer, you def have to remove the whole engine crossbar ("moustache bar") to do this. So, may be the same on an aircooled, no experience there. If you do, you must support the engine from above, I laid a 4x6 I just had across the engine bay and looped a ratchet tie across that, to the loops on top of the engine, and cinched that up before removal- not too tight, don't pull it, just hold it up.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pump access without pulling engine Reply with quote

Yes, you can pull the oil pump with the engine in the van. You have to remove all the bits to actually pull the engine with the addition of the fan housing. It's not fun either way but such is life.

J
zopapp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: oil pump access without pulling engine Reply with quote

Thanks All,

I managed to get to the oil pump without pulling the engine.
Indeed the moustache bar and the support cradle had to come off.
One quirk is that one of the heat boxes also had to come off to lower the moustache bar from the cradle.

I supported the case from under with a jack and a piece of wood.
Find some pics attached on the final reult. Took me and a mate around 5 hours to get to the pump.

The O ring I suspected to be the culprit is in place so the quest continous why I am having no oil pressure at start for a few seconds. I’ll start another thread on this.

Cheers,
Zoltan

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ronzo_volvo_guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: oil pump access without pulling engine Reply with quote

Zoltan;

An Oil Filter without a (or malfunctioning) check-valve can allow oil to drain back after engine (and Oil Pump) are OFF, and need refilling before pressure comes up, and this could explain your pressure delay after start-up, but OK pressure after that... Do you have a reputable Filter installed? ...even if you did, the first thing I would try to address the symptom is to change the Filter.

Good Hunting from Connecticut!
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: oil pump access without pulling engine Reply with quote

zopapp wrote:

Hi Zoltan.
Can you explain what role the threaded rod visible in this picture played in your removal?

Was it used as a jack screw or slide hammer / puller?

This would be good intel if someone else searches for the same procedure you used to remove the pump.

Thanks,
Owen

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zopapp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: oil pump access without pulling engine Reply with quote

For information here is the other thread addressing the oil pressure issue itself:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9763418#9763418

The filter came up there too. Something I'll check on. Thanks.

/Zoltan
zopapp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: oil pump access without pulling engine Reply with quote

Owen,

The stud on the pic (5 or 6 mm) can be driven into the pumps backside after you have it out from the engine.

It is needed to take the pump apart. I simply pulled on the stud with a pair of pliers while standing on the flanges of the case. No big force is needed, you just need to overcome the O ring tension. I believe the stud bore is there for exactly this purpose.

For taking the pump out from the engine bore 1st off I loosened the block nuts around the pump, one above, one below. Then me and my mate wedged two big spanners between the case and pump flanges at either side and knocked on them ever so gently with mallets that eased out the pump nicely.

Cheers,
Zoltan
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: oil pump access without pulling engine Reply with quote

I have done this.
I installed a slightly bigger oilpump without removing (something)
Maybe without removing the moustache bar?
I can’t remember, but $3.99 wrench + a little grinding, and I had a “special tool”.

I ground the box end of a 13mm wrench away, until it 'fit' over the stud.
It was kinda thin, but certainly strong enough for the task.
I used the wrench for some years after; then gave it to a fellow on Samba.
Member Alaskaberrys I think.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pump access without pulling engine Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I have done this.
I ground the box end of a 13mm wrench away, until it 'fit' over the stud.
It was kinda thin, but certainly strong enough for the task.
I used the wrench for some years after; then gave it to a fellow on Samba.
Member Alaskaberrys I think.

Indeed - I am the holder of Sodo’s modified 13mm 2.1l ‘in place oil pump removal wrench’. Sad to report I have not used it as yet (disabled the low pressure buzzer). May give it go when the VW gets back together - may replace engine altogether.

So no tips to add on removal but can upload this pic for future metal sculptors that want to try the ‘in place’ method with a verified working prototype.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: