Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lube for seat runners
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmitoraj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Lube for seat runners Reply with quote

What would be a good lube for seat runners? I’m guessing something that would not attract dirt as much. Maybe some kind of graphite lube? Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Lube for seat runners Reply with quote

Graphite is ok....but if you can find it the dry silicone "slip stick".

You used to be able to buy it at NAPA. It is a silicone based grease that is not oily and does not attract dust. Its also used for window glides. I will see what I can find for a link to something comparable. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Lube for seat runners Reply with quote

Graphite powder can stain fabrics. Grease will attract dirt and grit.

Silicone spray is great, since the liquid evaporates and leaves the lubricant.
Take time to clean, deburr, and straighten the runners/channels, then clean the plastic runners, then spray.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Lube for seat runners Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

Take time to clean, deburr, and straighten the runners/channels, then clean the plastic runners, then spray.

The stick lubricant I am tginking of was actually used by the dealers back in the 1970s. They lubed trunk and door locks, window glides and seat tracks with it. Its not a "grease". Its a solidified polymer of moatly silicone. Its a must have in high dust areas.

It was in a plastic tube...round....about 1" diameter and was a red black and blue logo. Mamy parts stores had it most of my life....then in the 90s....only NAPA.

They also made a tube of similar product that is thinner and closer to a grease that is used for glides like windows.

I will try to find it. Ray
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Lube for seat runners Reply with quote

I just use the spray silcon lubricant, seems to be fine.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Lube for seat runners Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

The stick lubricant I am tginking of was actually used by the dealers back in the 1970s. They lubed trunk and door locks, window glides and seat tracks with it. Its not a "grease". Its a solidified polymer of moatly silicone. Its a must have in high dust areas.

It was in a plastic tube...round....about 1" diameter and was a red black and blue logo. Mamy parts stores had it most of my life....then in the 90s....only NAPA.

They also made a tube of similar product that is thinner and closer to a grease that is used for glides like windows.

I will try to find it. Ray

I use this Door Ease stick on our sliding door in our house, not sure it's good for the seat sliders but I'd probably try it since I have a stick:
https://www.amazon.com/Door-Ease-Lubricant-Stick-1-68-oz/dp/B000KKJRR2/
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Lube for seat runners Reply with quote

door ease is what I have, in a tube that I've had since the 70's
https://www.acehardware.com/departments/automotive...ases/87208
(Ev beat me to it)
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Lube for seat runners Reply with quote

I actually love this thread!

We are all talking about the same thing....but its CHANGED!

I could see the red, blue, black and white logo and card in my mind but could not get the name.

The original product I was speaking of....was "Sil-Glyde". Its an oil free silicone paste used for window gides.

They made a "stick" version that was bone dry and used for trunk and door latches. Also works great for seat glides. I first bought some with my first 411 car ....at a dealer...in 1978. Then they quit stocking it.

Then I found it on the rotating rack at NAPA through the 80's. It came and went. I last bought some in the early 2000's I think.

It changed names...went to NAPA branded stock...then I could find the same thing....under the name of it parent company....AGS. Wink ...the "American Grease stick company".

So here is the logo on the tube of sil-glyde paste used mainly for window channels.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then the NAPA version made by the same company....

Then a hybrid package as they were changing the name at some point....

And...its the same product made by AGS...that you guys call "door ease"!....just changed the name and packaging a few times over the centuries!

Yes...it works well on seat tracks....and even the Sil-Gyde in the tube works well. Just smear it on in a VERY thin layer. Its virtually dry. Only takes about 0.001" of a film to work.

VW makes their own version (or someone does) that you can buy from dealers or from ECS tuning. Comes in a small gray tube.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-aud...jeEALw_wcB
Ray
tmitoraj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Lube for seat runners Reply with quote

Thanks to all who commented. It sure is fun to get Ray excited!! And with grease of all things Laughing
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Lube for seat runners Reply with quote

tmitoraj wrote:
Thanks to all who commented. It sure is fun to get Ray excited!! And with grease of all things Laughing

I'm just a greasy guy! Laughing

Ray
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Lube for seat runners Reply with quote

tmitoraj wrote:
Thanks to all who commented. It sure is fun to get Ray excited!! And with lube of all things Laughing

Fixed it for ya... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Lube for seat runners Reply with quote

I think that made it worse... Shocked
Greaser2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Lube for seat runners Reply with quote

I noticed my seat has a bit of up and down wopple or loose on the rail. Is this typical?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Lube for seat runners Reply with quote

Greaser2 wrote:
I noticed my seat has a bit of up and down wopple or loose on the rail. Is this typical?

Something is bent, or the plastic rail covers have broken. ISPwest sells new ones.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: