Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why is Grant Wheel Hub Making Horn Honk?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Why is Grant Wheel Hub Making Horn Honk? Reply with quote

I had two grant adapters on two different cars, and neither had proper horn function. In my research this is apparently a very common issue with them, and I've never been able to figure out why.

After a ton of research, I decided to go with a momo hub adapter and wheel. Perfect fit, proper horn function, and a quick install. They make three-bolt grant wheel adapters to run other wheels on the hubs too, Amazon, Summit, Jegs, etc sell them.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With the momo hub adapter you actually need to remove the turn signal cancelation ring from your OEM wheel, and screw it to the adapter. It then for all intents and purposes functions exactly like the stock wheel.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
solorogue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is Grant Wheel Hub Making Horn Honk? Reply with quote

OK. I did just like you said and showed and still the horn button doesn't work.

Ugghh! I don't get this. I am so frustrated. Again, when I first put on the hub adapter, the horn honks and stays on, as it's making contact to the turn signal and wiper switch, but when I then mount on the steering wheel adapter to the hub adapter the horn stops.. why?? Just putting on the metal steering wheel adapter is grounding the horn out?

Then it seems like no matter what I do I can not get the horn to work. So lost and frustrated. I am beyond knowing what to do I want to rip the whole thing out but already dropped the money for the grant club steering wheel, the grant horn button, the hub adapter and steering wheel adapter.. I can't return it now
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Why is Grant Wheel Hub Making Horn Honk? Reply with quote

Maybe you blew a fuse while you were putting on that adapter or something Have you checked the fuses
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
solorogue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is Grant Wheel Hub Making Horn Honk? Reply with quote

The fuse is fine. The horn sounds and stays on when the brass back of the hub adapter makes contact with the brass plate on the turn signal switch, but like I said, once I mount on the steering wheel adapter the horn no longer sounds. Why would just that stop the horn? Just that metal contact grounds it out? I have to say I don't understand how the circuit flows and works for the horn this way.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is Grant Wheel Hub Making Horn Honk? Reply with quote

Basically: when the wire coming through the steering column makes contact with ground, the horn will blow.

So check from that wire to ground, find where there's an "open". Know how to do this? Test light connected to positive voltage source and the probe to touch the circuit at various places; will light up when the probe is grounded. Obviously the button/switch will be "open" except when it's pushed to close/complete the circuit.

Yes, a voltmeter (or even an ohmmeter) can be used for this.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is Grant Wheel Hub Making Horn Honk? Reply with quote

Put black electrical tape on the brass wire tab on the horn button. It's part of he circuit with the ground - isolate it and your problem is solved.
solorogue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is Grant Wheel Hub Making Horn Honk? Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. I am still 2 weeks in can't figure this out. One says to put black electrical tape on brass connector on the horn button. You mean the brass grounding strap? For two wire horns Grant says to cut the grounding strap off, but the bug is a one wire horn right? Here is a video to help show my dilemma. Maybe I am a moron and happy to say so if it solves my issue. It won't be the first time.

Link
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Why is Grant Wheel Hub Making Horn Honk? Reply with quote

Make sure ground wire at coupling is ok, or check continuity from horn to column wire termination, possible wire touching ground somewhere else.
Horn works by grounding it.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
solorogue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is Grant Wheel Hub Making Horn Honk? Reply with quote

I FIGURED OUT MY PROBLEM!!
ok..OK.. on my Grant steering wheel horn install. I appreciate those who have tried to help, from "put electrical tape on, use a test light, trace it through the wiring harness, check the fuse, etc ...
Here is the problem and solution solved for my 74' SB Grant horn problem.. I hope it helps noobs like me

Link
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is Grant Wheel Hub Making Horn Honk? Reply with quote

Thank goodness! Applause
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is Grant Wheel Hub Making Horn Honk? Reply with quote

I bet if you're careful you could cut those nubs off to make it work. Interesting that the hub is made that way Confused

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
solorogue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Why is Grant Wheel Hub Making Horn Honk? Reply with quote

Yes, I could have done a MUCH better job grinding off the back tabs on the Grant hub, but I only had my angle grinder handy and did a fast slap dash job to see if removing the tabs hitting the blinker horn contact plate would work. It did, though looks like crap and could be problematic Smile

HERE IS SOME CRUCIAL INFO FOR THE 1974 SUPER BEETLE HUB

Grant does NOT make one for a 1974 Super Beetle. After speaking with Will at Grant Products, http://www.grantproducts.com/ who is awesome and really provided a lot of time and quality support, looking deeply through the Grant catalogue on there installation kits, there is an interesting note. All VM autos are supported EXCEPT the 1974 super beetle! WHAT??
Yep, for some reason that particular year and model, the 1974 super beetle and the 75.5' - 77' Dasher (whatever those are)

Also.. if you use Grant's "application Search" on their website and put in 1974 VW Beetle, it will come up with the #3568 Installation Kit. This will NOT fit a 74 Super Beetle. I figured Beetle/Super Beetle or pretty much the same except size and some features, but apparently the steering wheel hub is different and only for the 1974 model. Say WHAT?!

Also, do not go by the picture they use on the Grant website or others for the hub installation kits. I confirmed with Will over there, that they are using the same stock image for all of the Hub kits and it does not reflect what the hub actually looks like in the picture. Because the picture looks like it's what you would think you need, with the hole through the hub, but on Amazon and some others the same #3568 kit is what the hub really looks like. Confusing to be sure! Don't trust the internet LOL

So in order to use a Grant hub installation kit for a 1974 Super Beetle, you are going to have to grind the back tabs off, which can be done WAY better then I did. That said, does the EMPI Hub adapter kit from Jbugs and others fit and work for the 1974 Super Beetle, are their images correct of what you will actually get, can you use an EMPI hub for a MoMo or Grant Steering wheel? Not sure. A mystery for another day, but the EMPI kit will cost you about $60 and the Grant kit is around $30!

I hope this helps others with the 1974 Super Beetle or anyone else, as it has been a personal quest for me to figure this out Smile ,
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Why is Grant Wheel Hub Making Horn Honk? Reply with quote

Earlier model years had a C-clip that would prevent the adapter hub from falling too deep into the turn signal switch. When VW reduced the diameter of the splinned portion of the steering shaft they appear to have switched to a plastic spacer shown below:

In another thread someone used a short segment of split schedule 40 PVC tube as a replacement for the stock spacer. Maybe a cheap fix for your problem?

I wonder if you replaced the spacer with a taller one to keep the hub from falling deep into the steering housing you could solve the issue?
The spacer would need to be sized correctly to keep the hub from contacting the turn signal switch but allow the two turn signal cancellation pins to extend into the turn signal switch to trip the auto cancel. You might need to use longer pins?
My one concern would be the PVC segment would be under pressure when you torqued the steering wheel nut down. A split tube would not stand up to that well. Maybe use Loctite to keep the nut on the shaft and only apply a moderate torque to the nut?

BTW, in your video the left side of the brass horn contact on the face of the turn signal switch appears to be raised. I've never seen this before. It looks like a defect. If you compare it with the OE switch in the top pic you can see it should be flat. The horn contact that touches the contact ring on the underside of the steering wheel should only be slightly taller that the face of the turn signal switch. Just tall enough to maintain contact with the ring on the underside of the steering wheel. A little grease on this contact prevents it from wearing thru over time as the wheel is turned.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
solorogue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Why is Grant Wheel Hub Making Horn Honk? Reply with quote

I appreciate you reply. The issue is not caused by the adapter hub sliding down to far, it's, as shown in the video, the back of the hub metal nubs touch the blinker contact place and not the brass contact ring on the hub.

You stated "
BTW, in your video the left side of the brass horn contact on the face of the turn signal switch appears to be raised.."
Yes, I bent mine up when experimenting. I just need to bend them back down
micktz28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is Grant Wheel Hub Making Horn Honk? Reply with quote

Had the same problem with my 1974 Beetle. I replaced everything to do with the horn, then finely figured out the bottom of the wheel adapter was grounding on the C clip at the top of the spacer, solved with a thin nylon washer on top of the C clip. Now my horn works fine. Hope this helps someone.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: