Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Butter Bus Revival
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanillaGorilla11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is hopefully a better pic and thank you again for all the advice.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

That is better, but need a shot of where the intake connects to one of the heads.
VanillaGorilla11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

Definitely 1500/1600, but of course could be bigger with aftermarket bigger pistons and/or longer stroke crankshaft.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

VanillaGorilla11 wrote:
However the second time it blew it took about 20 ish minutes to get the bus to start back up again before I was able to drive it back home. But I think this has more to do with me flooding it rather than the spark plug but I could be wrong.

Did it lose power and run crummy prior to the plug coming out? When it did start 20 minutes later how well did it run and did it stay running well?
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

you need a new fan Shocked
VanillaGorilla11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
VanillaGorilla11 wrote:
However the second time it blew it took about 20 ish minutes to get the bus to start back up again before I was able to drive it back home. But I think this has more to do with me flooding it rather than the spark plug but I could be wrong.

Did it lose power and run crummy prior to the plug coming out? When it did start 20 minutes later how well did it run and did it stay running well?

It ran normal until it came out and after it started up again it ran normal again as well.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

VanillaGorilla11 wrote:
It ran normal until it came out and after it started up again it ran normal again as well.

tristanblue wrote:
Could be one of couple scenarios
-cracks in head from plug hole to valve (very common) ...T

Hmmm, interesting, as it seems to rule out cracked head, which is a good thing in my opinion.
VanillaGorilla11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

Update: Bus would turn over but wouldn稚 start yesterday and for a while today but finally started today and I drove it for about 10 minutes before parking it. Then when I went back to take it to get gas about 30 minutes ago it wouldn稚 start again and again about 15 ish minutes later it started but died about 30 seconds after it started. Then I tried to turn it on a few more times and now I知 pretty sure the battery is dead.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

When an engine dies like that one need to sort out if there is weak or no spark at least one the spark plugs and if fuel in the carb/s. Only other cause would be a loss of compression, but that is very unlikely to come and go....

Take the battery to a FLAPS to be tested. While the battery is out clean BOTH ends of BOTH battery cables. Using dielectric great to seal out oxygen and moisture out of those connections helps greatly to keep corrosion out for as long as possible.
VanillaGorilla11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

Thank you for the response but I知 unfamiliar with FLAPS I have never heard of that place but I値l gladly take my battery there to have it tested if there is one near me.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

VanillaGorilla11 wrote:
Thank you for the response but I知 unfamiliar with FLAPS I have never heard of that place but I値l gladly take my battery there to have it tested if there is one near me.

Friendly

Local

Auto

Parts

Shop or Store
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

There is a good VW Dictionary that can be accessed thru the "Technical" button at upper right...
VanillaGorilla11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

I guess I知 just to young and dumb to figure out these acronyms. I値l find a store by this weekend and bring my battery in to be tested. Thanks
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

VanillaGorilla11 wrote:
I guess I知 just to young and dumb to figure out these acronyms. I値l find a store by this weekend and bring my battery in to be tested. Thanks

Advance or Autozone or Napa or O'Reilly...
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
VanillaGorilla11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

Update: Brought the battery in to be tested and it has been ruled as a bad battery. So any recommendations on where and what battery to get and throw inside the bus?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

VanillaGorilla11 wrote:
Update: Brought the battery in to be tested and it has been ruled as a bad battery. So any recommendations on where and what battery to get and throw inside the bus?

19L is the stock size. With a bus you can use a taller battery than the beetle can, and thusly have more cold AMP starting for the colder seasons when that is more needed. Tractor supply tends to have inexpensive lead acid batteries that we have had good luck with. Just get one that the stock battery cover will fit and that way you can tie the battery down properly so it does not tear up the connections of the RH taillight when you take off from a stop and the battery slides to the rear. Bam! Failing having the battery tied down you can slide a piece of wood rearward of the battery to keep the taillight from getting hit, but proper strapping it down works better.

Also a good idea to find a battery box if you go with the lead acid battery to keep any acid that sweats out of the battery from getting on and eating up sheet metal of the bus. If the battery box is a little long front to rear that is fine, the problem is getting the dimension L/R close enough is the problem. Cutting the battery box down some can help with the stock strap and cover fitting. Do toss the battery box top.
VanillaGorilla11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
VanillaGorilla11 wrote:

19L is the stock size. With a bus you can use a taller battery than the beetle can, and thusly have more cold AMP starting for the colder seasons when that is more needed. Tractor supply tends to have inexpensive lead acid batteries that we have had good luck with. Just get one that the stock battery cover will fit and that way you can tie the battery down properly so it does not tear up the connections of the RH taillight when you take off from a stop and the battery slides to the rear. Bam! Failing having the battery tied down you can slide a piece of wood rearward of the battery to keep the taillight from getting hit, but proper strapping it down works better.

Also a good idea to find a battery box if you go with the lead acid battery to keep any acid that sweats out of the battery from getting on and eating up sheet metal of the bus. If the battery box is a little long front to rear that is fine, the problem is getting the dimension L/R close enough is the problem. Cutting the battery box down some can help with the stock strap and cover fitting. Do toss the battery box top.

Thank you for the insight. Do you happen to have a specific battery I can use as reference while looking for a battery to buy? If not thanks for all the help already.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

VanillaGorilla11 wrote:

Thank you for the insight. Do you happen to have a specific battery I can use as reference while looking for a battery to buy? If not thanks for all the help already.

19L size is the main specific you need for reference. If you are going to run 12 volt you could ask at your FLAPS about which size battery they list for 1967 bus, which was first year for standard 12 volt, but requires a 12 volt only battery cover due to different battery size. After over 100 years the lead acid battery manufactures seem to be pretty much the same in power, longevity, etc, so brands do not matter so much. If budget is not a concern the AGM (acid gel mat) batteries like Optima are better than the standard lead/acid battery, but cost about twice as much.

Here are some good threads found under "Battery Cover" with search titles only box checked. One of these shows a 12 volt battery of 6 volt cover size:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Butter Bus Revival Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
you need a new fan Shocked

x2
The mounting hole is all messed up.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: