Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Setting up LiFePo4 - purchase advice on solar/DC-DC/shore power
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
weekendr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Setting up LiFePo4 - purchase advice on solar/DC-DC/shore power Reply with quote

1961tbird wrote:

Considering the following:

1. Buy a 100ah LiFePo4 Lithuim battery.

2. Install a new DC-to DC charger. Considering the Redarc BCDC1220 : 20A 12V DC/DC Multi Stage Battery Charger.

3. I still want to plug in to shore power when needed. It would be nice to plug in when convenient, recharge the house battery and switch the frig. to electric and not use propane. I agree with you and, based upon past experience, I like plugging in for several reasons. Considering purchasing the Victron Energy Blue Smart IP22 12-Volt 20 amp 120V, Single Output Battery Charger NEMA 5-15, Bluetooth which, I understand, is a power source too.

4. Maybe 100w portable solar panels too. I was considering permanently mounting them on the roof but with traveling with a dog (and especially the heat in certain areas), the idea of parking in the sun won't work. Thus, park in the shade and extend the panels to the sun.

The Redarc appears to have solid reviews. Does anyone have experiences with Redarc as well as the Victron unit?

BTW, I have a 95 EVC yet troll the Vanagon forum for ideas/opinions.

Hi 1961tbird,

Looks like we are neighbours. We also share the same intentions re aux battery setup. Heres where I stand now:

1. I bought the Renogy smart 100AH LiFePo4 here: http://renogycanada.refr.cc/bruceflinn
about $600CDN all in no tax no shipping 10% off with code bruceflinn

2. I considered the Redarc DC-DC/MPPT but after a week of intensive research have decided the Renogy will likely work for my purposes at much less cost.
https://ca.renogy.com/dcc30s-12v-30a-dual-input-dc-dc-on-board-battery-charger-with-mppt/
Many of the issues you will read about have either been remedied this year or do not apply to a setup where you plug in 200W of solar on an occasional basis only. This forum thread addressed all my questions: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/renogy-dc-dc-charger-w-mppt.1406/

3. I am going to connect a Noco non-lithium 8A AC charger I already own to my starting battery for shore power and let the DC-DC charger do the rest. (Recommendation from Renogy support.) If not happy with results under load will go the Victron route. You sure it will automatically work as a power supply while charging? I thought those functions were separate.

4. I am using 2x 100W flexible panels which I keep under the rear cushion. If you get the renogy battery or DC-DC MPPT add branch connectors to wire in parallel and 10 gauge extension wires to your order. (best price I could find in Canada, same discount code)

PS I would love to get my hands on some EVC seats for my van, please let me know if you ever come across a parts van with decent seats.
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting up LiFePo4 - purchase advice on solar/DC-DC/shore power Reply with quote

weekenr

Of course, I will keep an eye out for seats.

Regarding the Victron unit, I was not aware it did not automatically work as a power supply while charging and that those functions were separate. Further research needed! Thanks for tip.

I have heard good things about Progressive Dynamics units. Your thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
weekendr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Setting up LiFePo4 - purchase advice on solar/DC-DC/shore power Reply with quote

1961tbird wrote:
weekenr

Of course, I will keep an eye out for seats.

Regarding the Victron unit, I was not aware it did not automatically work as a power supply while charging and that those functions were separate. Further research needed! Thanks for tip.

I have heard good things about Progressive Dynamics units. Your thoughts?

I looked at the reviews. Seems well respected and good value. Could connect direct to LiFePo4 battery. Search of their site did not indicate if their LiFePo4 charging units will act as a power supply when the battery is under load. https://www.progressivedyn.com/power-converters-2/

I have been very pleased with the Pronautic charger I have on my boat, it automatically increases the amps provided to equal the load on the batteries without interrupting charging. There are probably more cost effective solutions that do the same thing for a van, but I am having trouble getting info on this. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00MYSZL2I?
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting up LiFePo4 - purchase advice on solar/DC-DC/shore power Reply with quote

Hi weekendr,

I might do a similar arrangement. I like the Renogy dual input charger.

I noticed you decided on a 30 A model. Looking at the article from Renogy, it appears a 50 A model would be more appropriate for a 100Ah Smart Lithium Iron Phosphate battery.

https://www.renogy.com/blog/so-many-dc-to-dc-charg...ur-system/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
weekendr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting up LiFePo4 - purchase advice on solar/DC-DC/shore power Reply with quote

1961tbird wrote:
Hi weekendr,

I might do a similar arrangement. I like the Renogy dual input charger.

I noticed you decided on a 30 A model. Looking at the article from Renogy, it appears a 50 A model would be more appropriate for a 100Ah Smart Lithium Iron Phosphate battery.

https://www.renogy.com/blog/so-many-dc-to-dc-charg...ur-system/

Yes that battery will accept 50A, but 30A will still charge it pretty quick and I didn't want to risk overheating my alternator when idling. Saved money on the charger and also on cable, relays, switches, and so on.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Setting up LiFePo4 - purchase advice on solar/DC-DC/shore power Reply with quote

So after 5 years my 2 roof top flexible panels are dead. I need to but 2 more and am looking for input.

What are people running, 12 or 24 volt ?

Going with a quality panel like a Merlin or just an Amazon -$200.00 panel. I’m not opposed to spending money, just looking for real world input.

I just changed my Bogart controller out for a Renogy unit and added a Renogy charger that gives me the ability to monitor my Solar on my phone.

Right now with 2 panels in the direct Sun I am pulling zero Watts. It does show 16.5 volts, but any load and it goes to zero.

If you have a favorite flexible panel and know where you bought it from that would be great.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Setting up LiFePo4 - purchase advice on solar/DC-DC/shore power Reply with quote

I just replaced my 240 watts of King Solar flexible panels. I bought them in 2016 and they lasted five years on the roof of my van. That is not a great lifespan for a $500 cost.

I replaced the flexible panels with two Renogy 100 watt panels. I made a frame for them out of 1" aluminum square tubing. They are perfect for my application--low profile, quiet, powerful, and long lasting.

It sounds like you're planning to buy more flexible panels. I'm just giving my experience with flexibles and how they were not a good value over time.

One more thing: don't refer to solar panels in terms of 12v, 24v, 48v, as those are nonexistent categories. Panels have max rated voltages and they don't conform to these commonly misquoted base-12 categories. Below is a video on that subject.

I'd love to see what you decide to buy, even if it's flexible. I badly want the flexible panel idea to work, but for me they lack the durability to make them a good value. If you find one you like, share it--I'd like to see it.

kourt

Link
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Setting up LiFePo4 - purchase advice on solar/DC-DC/shore power Reply with quote

That Youtube video was really good, thanks. I think that most panels that are on a roof of a van probably have about a 5 year life span.

My van goes off road and I am hesitant to add anything too tall to the roof. I am curious to see your final install pics.

I am hung up on Spending over $500.00 per VS -$200.00 will they both die an early death?

I wish I had the spec sheets on the panels I put on 5 years ago, so I have a starting point.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting up LiFePo4 - purchase advice on solar/DC-DC/shore power Reply with quote

It's a slow Sunday, so I took some pics. I also go off road quite a bit--lots of forest service roads and unimproved roads.

The solid panel I originally bought for the van in 2014 (also a Renogy 100 watt panel) is still going strong on a friend's van. That's why I went back to these solid panels--they last so much longer.

Also, their rigidity makes it easier to design a good mounting system for them that is quiet, simple, low profile, and stays in place.

My panels are mounted on Thule Top Tracks installed in the poptop, and this gives flexibility in change over time.

For thread consistency, my setup is as follows:

Two 100 watt Renogy solar panels
Redarc BCDC1240D charger/charge controller (accepts current from solar or alternator)
Two 100 AH Battleborn LiFePO4 batteries in parallel (12v)
One BlueSea load panel.
BPC123047102 Blue Smart IP22 Charger connected to the load panel.

With a Blue Sea 1+2 battery switch I can change what is connected to the load panel. Normally, position 1 is the LiFePO4 battery bank. Position 2 is the start battery. Position 1+2 lets me jump the start battery from the LiFePO4 battery. Changing what battery is connected to the load panel lets me use the Victron charger to charge either start or aux battery systems (with reconfiguration of the Victron via bluetooth).

kourt

kourt

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting up LiFePo4 - purchase advice on solar/DC-DC/shore power Reply with quote

Just digging up some old threads to see if anyone want to breath new life into them, given that it has been a few years and much more and better components are available now.

I have assemble my solar in the past year or two and it is mostly Renogy stuff. I have a 1000W inverter, 30 amp MPPT charge controller, A 20amp ac/dc charger, 2-100w flex solar panels (movable), 170W flex solar panel (roof top mounted), a switch for solar to a/c charge function and 2- 100 amp/hr smart (heated) lithium batteries.

Now am not an expert at solar systems by any means, but my goal was to be able to have indefinite power to my fridge (Iceco), chinese diesel heater, and starter battery, plus keeping all my other little batteries topped up.

What are others running now days?

Gordo

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting up LiFePo4 - purchase advice on solar/DC-DC/shore power Reply with quote

Did you achieve your goal?

My setup is similar to yours but using victron gear with less solar (160 watts) and more LiFePO4 battery (280 ah). My battery anxiety has largely gone away.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting up LiFePo4 - purchase advice on solar/DC-DC/shore power Reply with quote

300Ah LFP here, 100W solar fitted with an extra 100W suitcase for some trips, Renogy DCC50S solar/130A alternator charger, 1kW inverter, battery anxiety gone for good. Truckfridge 65, CDH, 3qt Instant Pot all happy. I take the cheapo 30V/10A Chinese power supply as a back-up mains charger 'just in case', but never had to use it.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting up LiFePo4 - purchase advice on solar/DC-DC/shore power Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Did you achieve your goal?

Unsure at this point...the 170w solar is new and not mounted yet, and the 2-100A/hr batteries are just being installed now. I was running and 50A/hr gel battery before and it would not last a night in the fall with the heater running.
This is a brand new year...let's go camping.

Gordo.

tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Setting up LiFePo4 - purchase advice on solar/DC-DC/shore power Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
Consider grinding off the welds that hold the rather useless swivel on the driver's side and removing it. I did that, and it gave me much better access to the space there. In the end I didn't use it for the battery system (which eventually went just in front of the water tank) but for storage of tools, compressor, vacuum cleaner etc.

Good advice. The seat pans under the swivel bases are very useful spaces if you can gain access, so we've made that easy:
https://intrepidoverland.com/shop/seat-tilt-kit/

Link

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Setting up LiFePo4 - purchase advice on solar/DC-DC/shore power Reply with quote

100Ah LiFePo, 200w solar mounted and 100w flex panel if parked in the shade. Renogy Rover 40a MPPT, Renogy DC DC 20a, Victron IP22 AC Charger 30a, 5a trickle charger for starter battery on when on shore power.
Truckfridge 65, Propex, Stereo, lights, many many device chargers.

Battery anxiety is muuuuch less, but likely to put another 100ah battery in bottom of closet and then I think it will be gone for good.

I wish I had a heated battery. Considering adding an RV heating pad. The money I didn't spend on a heated battery was surpassed instantly when I fried my MPPT on a cold, sunny morning. Now I turn solar off at night if I think it is going to be cold and check temps in the morning before charging.

I saw a question in the original post about DC DC charger turning on when charging starter battery. The Renogy I have isn't voltage sensing, so has a D+ signal wire. One of the best mods I've made is putting a switch on that wire, so I can have it off even when the car is on. I much prefer the solar to do the work on sunny days when I'm driving vs. running the DC DC charger (which is under the driver's seat and gets hot).
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Setting up LiFePo4 - purchase advice on solar/DC-DC/shore power Reply with quote

Crooked Designer wrote:

I saw a question in the original post about DC DC charger turning on when charging starter battery. The Renogy I have isn't voltage sensing, so has a D+ signal wire. One of the best mods I've made is putting a switch on that wire, so I can have it off even when the car is on. I much prefer the solar to do the work on sunny days when I'm driving vs. running the DC DC charger (which is under the driver's seat and gets hot).

Oh, that's odd. With my MPPT controller I have all inputs going through it, Alternator,shore charger (ac/dc lithium safe),solar input. The input from the ac/dc shore charge runs across a high amperage switch (to stop any back feading of power to it) and shares the same input terminals as the solar. That way it is one or the other, not both. With all inputs going through the MPPT controller, it will balance what batteries get charged.

I find it interesting to hear where people are installing their components. That tilting seat idea is great.

Gordo.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Setting up LiFePo4 - purchase advice on solar/DC-DC/shore power Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
I was running and 50A/hr gel battery before and it would not last a night in the fall with the heater running.

Gordo.

So you've gone from energy storage of a max 25 usable ah to roughly 140-160ah (assuming you don't drop below 20%-30% SOC. I try to stay above 30% but am okay dropping to 20% on rare occasions, say less than 5% of battery cycles. A ~5x increase in battery capacity will change your camping life. You'll learn if you want more on shorter, cooler days.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Setting up LiFePo4 - purchase advice on solar/DC-DC/shore power Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:

With my MPPT controller I have all inputs going through it.

I've never seen this. My MPPT (Renogy Rover 40a) has PV in, Load out, and Bat out connections. Not even sure how I would wire chargers through it.

I do like being able to have DC to DC and solar at the same time if I'm not driving far and I want to max out charging capability.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting up LiFePo4 - purchase advice on solar/DC-DC/shore power Reply with quote

I have wondered what's the difference to connecting loads directly to the battery, vs connecting loads to the controller.
Is it bad to just put them on the battery?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting up LiFePo4 - purchase advice on solar/DC-DC/shore power Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:
I have wondered what's the difference to connecting loads directly to the battery, vs connecting loads to the controller.
Is it bad to just put them on the battery?

Speaking from a Victron point-of-view, Victron supports loads connected directly to the battery OR the MPPT solar charge controller so both approaches are a-okay.

Connecting the loads to the solar charge controller provide added control and visibility:
- Allows the user to turn off all loads from the app manually
- Allows load output to be controlled by the charger with several pre-set or manual settings, e.g. if battery voltage drops below 11.8 volts, current to the loads will be turned off until battery voltage returns to 12.6 volts (both voltages can be set by the user).
- Visibility of load output is provided by the charger: not only current to the battery but current out to the loads.

All of the above functions can be replaced with an inline switch, BMS settings and a BMV. Without a BMV, BMS and a readily accessible switch the MPPT provides easy control and visability that would not otherwise be available.

I can't speak to other brands but they may offer similar functionality.

Abscate wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: