Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rebuilding the the front heater box
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: rebuilding the the front heater box Reply with quote

Done! Somehow it's a very satisfying job.

Just a couple notes for future reference if anyone finds this thread:

-I found a very good video online:

https://youtu.be/h7wgsznvcCE

-The pipe insulation tape from Home-Depot that was recommended in this thread is perfect for the job. I don't think you could find anything better.
dasilva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuilding the the front heater box Reply with quote

This seems like the most applicable front heater box thread to resurrect!

I'm putting the clips on the box. Mostly successful.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Except for two clips:

Has anyone else run into this issue? Best I can think of is 'opening,' the clip with a pair of pliers, and then 'closing' once it is slipped on.....

It feels odd to have to do this. It needs some force, but I've got all the other clips on by hand.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Doka Heater Box Reply with quote

So are people using foam or felt to seal the flaps? Is camper tape the same as closed cell residential application foam tape?

This locally available tape:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/heavy-duty-felt-strip-1-2-x-58-in-0460825p.html

might be close to 1/8" thick but I'm not sure. It might be 5 mm thick. ( 0.197" )

Thanks,

Neil.

Bman wrote:
..... if like me this has never been done for your 30+ year old rig, its worth the $12 investment to get 1.25" x 3/16" (.25") self adhesive camper tape to complete this job, your here anyway right?

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Doka Heater Box Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
So are people using foam or felt to seal the flaps? Is camper tape the same as closed cell residential application foam tape?

This locally available tape:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/heavy-duty-felt-strip-1-2-x-58-in-0460825p.html

might be close to 1/8" thick but I'm not sure. It might be 5 mm thick. ( 0.197" )

Thanks,

Neil.

Bman wrote:
..... if like me this has never been done for your 30+ year old rig, its worth the $12 investment to get 1.25" x 3/16" (.25") self adhesive camper tape to complete this job, your here anyway right?

I used the Camper tape, it has a good track record here on the Samba with the flap overhauls
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Doka Heater Box Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

I used the Camper tape, it has a good track record here on the Samba with the flap overhauls

Ok cool, thanks. Found some 1-1/4" x 3/16" camper tape. It seems to compress more than than a similar sealing tape I'd cut to about the same thickness; the plastic retainers now snap down well. Hopefully, mulitple layers of that 3/16" tape will work to seal box to body. I now have a life time supply of it. Wink

The tape initially had an odd smell to it but that seems to be abating. i.e. I hope that smell doesn't crop up when heated.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuilding the the front heater box Reply with quote

It occurred to me that the rear air control flap on air cooled box could easily be swapped over to the "Transporter" type box but that's not the case; doing so would require mods to the "Transporter" box. For my needs, I see no reason to do that were it feasible.

Pics showing some differences between the air cooled (w/fan) and "Transporter" boxes. The cable securing brackets on each box are different.

Neil.

Air cooled box on the right

Looking up from bottom. The air cooled box did not have the foot heat flaps originally. Transporter box on left shown with rear air block off plate removed.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Doka Heater Box Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

Ok cool, thanks. Found some 1-1/4" x 3/16" camper tape. It seems to compress more than than a similar sealing tape I'd cut to about the same thickness; the plastic retainers now snap down well. Hopefully, mulitple layers of that 3/16" tape will work to seal box to body. I now have a life time supply of it. Wink

The tape initially had an odd smell to it but that seems to be abating. i.e. I hope that smell doesn't crop up when heated.

Neil.
It shouldn't, I have 1 1/2 years now with that Tape installed, no ill smells from it at all... Cool What's scary is that 1 1/2 years have gone by since I did the heaterbox rebuild..... Razz Razz
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: rebuilding the the front heater box Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
It occurred to me that the rear air control flap on air cooled box could easily be swapped over to the "Transporter" type box but that's not the case; doing so would require mods to the "Transporter" box. For my needs, I see no reason to do that were it feasible.

Pics showing some differences between the air cooled (w/fan) and "Transporter" boxes. The cable securing brackets on each box are different.

Neil.

Air cooled box on the right

Looking up from bottom. The air cooled box did not have the foot heat flaps originally. Transporter box on left shown with rear air block off plate removed.

So I understand it better, you refer to the Transporter Box, meaning, the Original Non-electric equipped Heater Boxes on the very early years of the Vanagon?
Or was there always a fan assist heaterbox like a Deluxe Model versus a Base Model Air Cooled Vanagon that had no fan?. I'm still not clear on that.... Confused Confused Confused
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuilding the the front heater box Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

Pics showing some differences between the air cooled (w/fan) and "Transporter" boxes.

... I have 1 1/2 years now with that Tape installed, no ill smells from it at all...

So I understand it better, you refer to the Transporter Box, meaning, the Original Non-electric equipped Heater Boxes on the very early years of the Vanagon?
Or was there always a fan assist heaterbox like a Deluxe Model versus a Base Model Air Cooled Vanagon that had no fan?. I'm still not clear on that.... Confused Confused Confused

Good to know the truck canopy foam smell wasn't noticeable. In my case, the smell from that tape seems to have dissipated. I also used that truck canopy foam to seal the "forced-air" flaps.

Ah, ok, my reference was somewhat arcane.

The "Transporter" box was from a 1985 1.9 WBX panel type Vanagon. That box has a block off plate at the "passenger compartment flap" (Bentley P 80.14). That flap would normally control air from box through air passages at dash etc. to rear area. That box would obviously have been used in a single cab and possibly a Doka.

It's possible none of the late 79-80 Vanagons offered a fresh air fan option. I don't know if this applied to all markets but all the Bentley air cooled Vanagon main wiring diagrams show a separate fresh air fan diagram. The 1982 diesel main wiring diagrams show a fresh air fan. Diesel Vanagons were made during air cooled production so it would've made sense to introduce boxes with fans and room, provisions, for a heater core e.g. that box in the air cooled Vanagon had knock outs for the heater core nipples.

Another note before I forget.

When I took apart my air cooled engine heat box in 2008, it had nasty grey sealant at the mating surfaces. That sealant was a PITA to remove. So, I sealed the box join exterior with basic clear silicone. Nearly 14 years later, that silicone was still in place, easy to cut open and likely easy to remove. But, I don't know if sealant was applied to that joint at the factory.

In hindsight, I likely assumed the note re: D17 in Bentley applied to the box half joint. Looking again, I think D17 is applied to the box seal that mates to air channel on body.

1985 donor "Transporter" Vanagon

my now removed air cooled heat box. Cable brackets and heater core nipple knockouts shown:

[

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuilding the the front heater box Reply with quote

I'm on several years with the window felt..
it's a fairly impervious product..
it'll always get my vote Wink
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-1-1-4-in-x-17-ft-Nail-On-Felt-Weather-Seal-S214-17H/100171714
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuilding the the front heater box Reply with quote

re: swap from fan equipped air cooled heat box "modified" for engine conversion, to 2 lever (foot heat, defrost) water cooled box with OE heater core baffle.

Very happy I did this. Better air flow control, WAY more available heat. Sealing off the fresh air ram flaps on the old box may've contributed to the poor heat but installing the OE metal baffle is likely the biggest factor to heat improvement.

This box allows only fresh cold air to the side vents. Side vents on my '88 can provide heated air. I have to replace the fan on the '88 box so will be interested to compare the two.

The sort of "air cooled" routing/location of heat control valve cable required re-using the air cooled lever assembly to accommodate that cable. The bends that cable now takes are not ideal but so far, cable has not bent.

What I'd do differently next time:

- use narrower foam at heater core as shown in Bentley. The uncut wide truck canopy foam made for a slightly tight fit of core to box.

- ensure heater core is snug against the baffle. I hear a new rattle when going over bumps. It's likely the baffle against core.

- install a box with a fresh air control. But, using the box I already had made sense.

Felt would likely last longer than foam. However, the old foam was still in good shape. But, it didn't have high hours use. I figure the fan will fail before the foam does.

Neil.

Since I was removing/installing the dash by myself, I found this "third hand" helped me guide the dash off and on. The keen eye will note the black side vents. The original brown ones didn't seal well. Thankful I had a good used set on hand. I'll be curious to see if I can repair the brown set.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuilding the the front heater box Reply with quote

I'm changing the foam on the flaps, using the same camper tape eveyone used in this thread (3/16" thick, closed cell foam).
It's not squishy enough for the black plastic tabs to hold in place. If I clip them in the metal flap, the spring force of the foam unclips them out. Am I missing something?

(This was supposed to be the easy part...)
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuilding the the front heater box Reply with quote

That foam appears to be twice as thick as the stuff I've used in the past. I think that's your problem; too thick and not enough squish.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuilding the the front heater box Reply with quote

Can't see if you did this but.....

I started hole with small drill bit then turned a med, then larger than hole bit CW, CCW, repeat, to make sure material was cleared away from hole. Trying not to pinch an foam bits between prongs and hole helps too.

Neil.

Holes look a bit like ass but you get the idea

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuilding the the front heater box Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I bought the pipe insulation mentioned elsewhere, and made the holes for the plastic clips bigger. Snug fit now, much better.

All flaps have been rebuilt. Just waiting for the heater core to arrive. Who knew that a pandemic of the century and floods of the decade and Christmas season would delay parcels.

Air recirculation flaps:

Putting back the bottom (?) cover, the one with the flaps for the, umm, well the larger flaps:

A few drops of oil in each cable housing

VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuilding the the front heater box Reply with quote

Done! Glad the heater box feels new.

New Gowesty heater core

Added a lube tube for the blower bearing, thank you Steve M for the idea:

Bench-testing the new Jeep resistor, thank you Dave H for the idea:

If your tabs for the lower flaps are damaged, here's a cheap and effective fix. Just cut a piece of thick paper or cardboard to suit. The tab is now held firmly and isn't going anywhere.

Tada !

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: rebuilding the the front heater box Reply with quote

Well done.

Duncan
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: rebuilding the the front heater box Reply with quote

Nice work, & great documentation of the lube tube install... Progress!

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: rebuilding the the front heater box Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Nice work, & great documentation of the lube tube install... Progress!

- Dave

Hopefully ot helps others down the road!
I've renewed the washer fluid tubes while I had the dash out, and for the lube tube I've reused a portion of the washer fluid tube that was still OK. Hence the beautiful "caramel" colour.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: