Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

70 bug engine identification
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 bug engine identification Reply with quote

Bajabert68 wrote:
Hi I got the whole number off the 68 bug Motor is H520653.

If you look in the Technical Section under VIN numbers you can see the various ranges of numbers for dates.

The last number in July 68 shows H5 414 585
The last number in Dec 68 shows H5 648 888.

Yours fits about half way between those dates if you assume (maybe incorrectly) that the same number of engines are built every month your engine was made in October-ish.

So your engine is from a '69 year model.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 bug engine identification Reply with quote

However, I believe in some places cars can be registered by the calendar year date, not the VW year date which was August 1 1967 to July 31 1968 in the case of a 1968 model.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 bug engine identification Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
I don't think anyone has mentioned it, but the "B" on the engine serial number only really tells you that when your engine left the factory it was a 1600SP with emission controls. If it has been rebuilt at any point over the last 50years, internally it could be almost anything..

In 1976, I rebuilt a used "B" 1600cc single port engine into a dual port 1835cc engine. I actually cut the single port cylinder heads to fit - and I still use those !!! But I did buy a set of used dual port tins for "someday".
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Bajabert68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 bug engine identification Reply with quote

Thank you. Yes, not hung up on factory stock. Just trying to get back into the groove with these treasures. Like a Model T or a Model A. Many parts interchange but you have to be aware of what you are doing. Notebook filling up. Purchased a generator/fan assembly.On it's way in about a week. emailed forum seller about correct fan thin one. Hope he has one. When I get the generator I will go thru it, brushes, bearings,check armature and field windings. Will look in my idiot book as far as setting spacers up correctly to ensure I have them all correct. Purchasing, tune up kit this week, found missing oil filler cap and lubricating plugs to ease pulling them. I was a busy boy years ago removing them from bugs for customers where people never changed them and I pulled the threads trying to change the spark plugs or they just bought the bug never checking to see if plugs were ever changed. I do have a question. I need a clutch cover assembly to bolt to the engine to bench start the motor. Have been searching for several days now and cannot find what the bell housing comes from. See I can cut a case from a dead tranny but have seen a nicer bell housing I like better. What do I look for? Thanks.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 bug engine identification Reply with quote

"Clutch cover" is often used to describe the pressure plate, you don't need that to bench run it, but if you are shopping for a bellhousing you may end up with the wrong part.

Any bellhousing from a 12 volt aircooled VW will work (although 76+ bus and Vanagon use a different starter so it won't quite mesh with the ring gear properly), now and then someone offers just the part where the starter goes, but I haven't seen any new ones lately, watch the classifieds.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Bajabert68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 bug engine identification Reply with quote

O.K. great. It is called a clutch cover. Got it. I am not against cutting a dead transmission but would not want to sacrifice a good case. Without using a clutch cover how can I fire the engine up? Rope start it??
Bajabert68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 bug engine identification Reply with quote

And Thank you for the identification on the H5 motor in the beetle now. It was sold to me as a 1968 model! .
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 bug engine identification Reply with quote

Bajabert68 wrote:
And Thank you for the identification on the H5 motor in the beetle now. It was sold to me as a 1968 model! .

You are most welcome. I had to start asking questions once, and still do.

However there is a cost to you for any advice we give!

The cost is that sometime in the future you will be able to help someone else with a little bit of information so that we can keep our lovely little cars going into the coming generations.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 70 bug engine identification Reply with quote

Bajabert68 wrote:
O.K. great. It is called a clutch cover. Got it. I am not against cutting a dead transmission but would not want to sacrifice a good case. Without using a clutch cover how can I fire the engine up? Rope start it??

I think you may still be confused, you need a bellhousing to mount a starter in, the "clutch cover" (AKA pressure plate) bolts to the flywheel and pinches the clutch disc against it.
Here's some reading on what you want to do: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200 , and more https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Bajabert68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 bug engine identification Reply with quote

Hi, yes if I have any knowledge some one is looking for I will always help out. It has been many years since I had the bugs so I am rusty on what I need to do. As i said my other beetles were running driving cars so it was maintenance back then. And as you said folks mix and match parts so I need to establish what I have and what do I need! The forum is giving me fantastic support and I do appreciate it. Purchased tune up items today and as soon as the generator comes in I will check it out. I am having trouble with the classified area. I purchased a fan hub from another member yesterday and sent him a paypal payment. I cannot find him on the site to ask if he got it? And he did not send me anything stating he got it sooo ! Going to try and find him now. Not getting the hang of finding my messages. It states I have none and when I did ask to put him in site did not.
Bajabert68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 bug engine identification Reply with quote

Hi, Today I purchased the points, condenser,valve cover gaskets, oil screen gaskets locally. I have a question about the oil cooler gaskets. I see there are a few choices for o rings. Not size but material. I pulled the oil cooler out and found black o rings. What should I buy to replace them. Also I found washers under the nuts. Are these wave washers that have just gone flat? And finally I see many oil coolers out there with the gauntlet of prices. Is there one better than the rest? Quite a spread from $50.00 up to $125.00 Thanks.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 bug engine identification Reply with quote

Here's some reading on the type of seal and washers: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=690723&highlight=cooler+seals

Слава Україні!
Bajabert68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 bug engine identification Reply with quote

Hi, did not disappear from site. Been busy cleaning up engine and ordering parts to refurbish things. Is there a preferred vendor for carb and fuel pump rebuilding kits. Outside of ethanol safe gaskets and parts want a quality kits. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 bug engine identification Reply with quote

Bajabert68 wrote:
Is there a preferred vendor for carb and fuel pump rebuilding kits.

Unless you know what you're doing you might be better off letting a pro do them.

Tim at https://www.volkzbitz.com/ for carbs

Bill at https://www.sparxwerks.com/ for your fuel pump

Both will be cheaper in the long run.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bajabert68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: 70 bug engine identification Reply with quote

Hi, Have rebuilt many carbs and fuel pumps thru the years. That should not be an issue unless there is something that cannot be done at home because of non obtainable parts. Was just asking on a vendor with quality kits I can source the kits from. Alot of junk parts out there! Thanks.
Bajabert68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 bug engine identification Reply with quote

Hi, Well had a heck of a time trying to remove the distributor from the engine. Guess as others stated that is just seizes up. Soaked it for 2 days and tried to turn it to no avail. Did not want to break it so I tried pulling the vacuum advance off and gently trying to move it either way. No go. Soaked it for another 2 days them found a brass drift and began tapping from under the body. Worked at it over several days and finally it started to move up. Got it out and miked up the distributor hole bore and the distributor itself. Had about a 6 thousands difference between the two. So I chucked up the distributor in a lathe removed the o ring and lightly sanded down the body to allow the distributor to spin snugly in the bore. It now fits I assume as it should and I coated it with never seize. Question is where can I find the correct o ring to fit the body. Seeing most are not correct. Thanks
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 bug engine identification Reply with quote

Bajabert68 wrote:
Question is where can I find the correct o ring to fit the body. Seeing most are not correct. Thanks

I've not had an issue with the typically-available O-ring fitting; on my 1971 1600cc DP engine rebuild a few years ago I just used the one in the rebuild kit. I oiled it up, was not a girly man, and got the distributor installed.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Bajabert68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 bug engine identification Reply with quote

Well that is good news to hear. Just got the gasket kit so will see how the o ring fits in there. I did not like whacking the distributor out. Few more parts to purchase and reassemble the motor. Was a good running engine when purchased so just doing a major refurbish of all the things on the motor and pop it in this spring. Will swap it out for the locked up engine in the car now and pull that one down to see why she will not rotate fully around. Pulled covers and worked the valves on the one in the car and nothing hung up, and lubed the cylinders well. She will rotate about 1/2 a turn either way and just stop!!Previous owner said engine was hopped up! What that means ??? Guess we will see.
Bajabert68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 bug engine identification Reply with quote

Hello, Been collecting parts and cleaning up motor. I purchased a Scat Push rod tube kit. All went well. I am chasing the threads on the exhaust manifold studs and they are a bit rough. None are broken and if I wanted to replace them do you think double nutting studs and use heat either propane or Oxy / Ace would persuade them out or should just leave them alone? Appreciate thoughts. Thanks.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 bug engine identification Reply with quote

Bajabert68 wrote:
I am chasing the threads on the exhaust manifold studs and they are a bit rough. None are broken and if I wanted to replace them do you think double nutting studs and use heat either propane or Oxy / Ace would persuade them out or should just leave them alone? Appreciate thoughts. Thanks.

My thoughts would be to first try an 8.0mm x 1.25 thread chaser die.

And I like the brass exhaust nuts, they use an 11mm wrench size; I use those on my 2 VWs.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: