Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me rearrange an EVC dashboard!
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

which one do you like the best? (images below are labelled)
A
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
C
100%
 100%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 7

DumbGiant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:17 am    Post subject: Help me rearrange an EVC dashboard! Reply with quote

Hey there! I'm currently trying to upgrade the dash in my van, and I'd love your help choosing a route to go:

-remove the ash tray and manufacture a custom enclosure/trim piece for my ScanGauge. This doesn't give me the updated features I'd like (mainly CarPlay and a backup screen), but it fills an unused gap in the dash with utility, so I kind of dig it. I'd have to figure out a different, separate solution for CarPlay/backup camera if I go this route though

OR

-extract and relocate the rear climate controls to the aforementioned gap where the ash tray is. This would make room for a double DIN head unit (Sony makes a handful that wouldn't interfere with the metal bar) that could then be used for CarPlay and a backup camera.

The main constraint for this project is my desire to make whatever solution is decided upon look and feel like it's OEM. I'm confident in my ability to design and manufacture all necessary plastic pieces, but there are very few CarPlay systems that fit within the above constraint, as they all look too modern and flashy. The few I've seen that look decent in an early 2000's setting are THIS ONE and THESE ONES

Another issue I'll need to face is the fact that Eurovan Campers have an additional row of climate controls for the rear, making a double DIN install much more difficult. THIS is the only example I could find of someone installing a double DIN into an EVC. As mentioned above though, I would like the rear controls to go in the ash tray gap, if I do go this route

With all of that being said, I've prepared a few images. I like to mock things up in photoshop to dial the look in before working on anything in the real world, and I would love your help deciding which of these mocks looks the best/which route you would go given all of the above information:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A: this is the custom enclosure w/ ScanGauge. the empty space above the screen could potentially include USB ports etc

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

C: this is with the rear climate control dials relocated into the ash tray gap. Blue shapes added to illustrate where head unit would then go

Any help choosing/input is greatly appreciated!

PS: sorry for only A and C in the poll. I had A, B, and C but removed B to reduce confusion. Oh, the irony...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bikes!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Help me rearrange an EVC dashboard! Reply with quote

If you are doing a major redesign per option C, it would be nice to remove the cigarette lighter and cubby to put the scan gauge in that space.
If the rear heat controls are electronic in the EVC, you might be able to use the rear controls from an MV or Weekender since they are a bit more compact.
DumbGiant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Help me rearrange an EVC dashboard! Reply with quote

bikes! wrote:
If you are doing a major redesign per option C, it would be nice to remove the cigarette lighter and cubby to put the scan gauge in that space.
If the rear heat controls are electronic in the EVC, you might be able to use the rear controls from an MV or Weekender since they are a bit more compact.

Thanks for the input! That's a great suggestion. I can't seem to find any information on a rear climate control for the MV or weekender though, and every image I've seen of their dash looks identical to mine, minus the smaller, upper row of rear climate controls. I was able to find THIS, but I have no idea where it goes. Is that what you were talking about, and if so, would you happen to know where it goes?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spacetiger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Help me rearrange an EVC dashboard! Reply with quote

Keep posting, especially when you finish the project. Its always nice to see how the project goes.

My thoughts:
1. The double DIN setup is nice; I believe you will like what you can add in that space.

2. The scan gauge would be clean, but I would not mount it in the dash. I have mine above the steering column because it is easy to look at the gauge while driving and not have your eyes too far from the road. I think mounting it low and to the side makes it harder to see (since there are 4 small points of information displayed).

3. What have you decided for a phone mount? I have not settled on a final solution and would be interested if you have this on your radar screen.

4. What about a GPS setup? Right now I am using a 6.9" Nuvi mounted to the windshield mounted near the driver side A pillar. It is out of the way but easy to glance at. I know there are some states that do not allow a device to be mounted to the windshield, so I would be interested in what others have done. I now you can get a double DIN solution that includes a GPS but I wanted to keep them separate.

Good luck.
Jerry
Kozmob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me rearrange an EVC dashboard! Reply with quote

Have you done this? Would love to see results.

I've been considering something like your option C and wondering if the rear vent cables are long / flexible enough to move to the left as you have suggested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me rearrange an EVC dashboard! Reply with quote

Just get rid of your rear heater and do as the folks in the Double Din thread have done.

kourt
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Help me rearrange an EVC dashboard! Reply with quote

I love the idea of somehow integrating the ScanGauge.
Even if it were on a more OEM-looking bracket.
I have a radio mounted up high and was thinking maybe someone could 3D print a bracket to slip over the face of the ash tray that was slightly angled both upwards and turned towards the driver.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me rearrange an EVC dashboard! Reply with quote

Well how is your plastic orginal., Holding up? Mine is all cracked and falling apart..I'd like to replace it w a good solid original..The sun really eats them up down here in the Carreabean.Thanks Bill PR & VT
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Help me rearrange an EVC dashboard! Reply with quote

My thoughts are option C, scan gauge where the lighter/cubby was but move the front controls up and mount the double DIN below the steel bar at a slight angle. That's what I did with my 2003 MV.

I would NOT cut that steel cross bar. It's integral to crash protection and dash support.

Here's the thread on my install:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=742476&highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: