Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Six seater buggy build ( long term project)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Nice job on The transmission. Body looks great 😆- if it works, it works !
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Well made the trip to and from BugJam. Had a few issues but over came them.
Here is a video on what happened and what I need to improve on.

Link

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

I think people are going to hate me at the gas station lol.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

So I left the buggy out side last week and it rained almost every day. No big deal I thought, it can get wet. Well went to take the family for a ride Saturday and it started right up with no problem. Then we got everyone in and it stalled at an idle. Well that was odd I thought, it started right up and off we go. For about 1 mile and it stalled again. So back to the house we go.

So I searched the web for Chevy owners answers to TBI questions. Most common problem people report for stalling was fuel pump, IAC and EGR going bad. So I checked the EGR , it works and was clear. IAC works and cleaned the passage ways. And the fuel pump is working so what gives I thought. Then I remembered...... RAIN and my fuel cells cap is exposed. Sure enough water in the fuel.

Watered down fuel on the left from my fuel cell and good gas on the right.
I was amazed that the fuel cells cap let that much water in, it has a seal and seams to fit tight. But it appears to not be that good. So now I got to drain the fuel system and get some more fuel. Hopefully that's the end of those problems.
Next up is the heating problem, both lack of and to much lol. So it runs warm over 55mph and could use some cabin heat. Hopefully I can fix that in one shot.

Going to plumb this scricco radiator in the heater core lines. Yes over kill for a heater but hoping it will keep the engine temps happy at 65mph.

Had to make some hose adapter as nobody sells a 1 1/4" to 5/8" adapter for some reason lol.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Thanks for the follow up and the video with commentary!

I would like to suggest a few things if I may.

First off is you are absolutely correct about the air flow on that car. Back in the 1950's GM's general manager was inspired by his Corvair project to initiate a luxury car program based at the Cadillac facility. It was to be a rear engine V8 car nicknamed the Caddy Back. There was two overwhelming problems that came up that killed the project. The first was that no tire manufacturer at the time made a tire that could take the weight so blow outs on the rear were constant until they went to duals. The second problem was cooling...

From my testing and observations on our open Manx copy on the highway, the rear of the car is in a partial vacuum and the air flow is not at all what you think it is. The air is actually coming around the sides and over the top of the car, then behind the car it reverses and flows back up the center toward the engine. I did this study because I was switching from an upright type 1 fan to a type 4 engine with the fan opening low and pointed rearward. I was worried that it would starve for air but that back flowing air mass seems to feed it just fine!

In light of that I would suggest you put the fans on your radiator on the backside blowing forward and try it again! I suspect that at 60 mph with the fans blowing back and the natural airflow moving forward the air movement comes to a stop for all practical purposes.

The other thing is that you feel cold even at 60*F. Yes you will! We live in a much colder climate than you so I know! That was our initial experiance too in an open Buggy. A short blast - not really so much but get out there for a long trip and you will get hypothermia even at 70*F!

Take your clue from the bikers! Do you think those leathers are all for show? I can assure you that they are not! They stop the wind from sucking the heat out of your body. If you were peddling that thing you would be generating enough heat to keep up with the loss but you are just sitting there cooling off! At the very least you should be wearing extra pants and a good wind proof jacket no matter how warm the day is. We have learned to dress like it is winter here in our climate. The added bonus is that it also protects you from bumble bees and grasshoppers. They smart like the blazes at highway speeds!

The second thing against you is that you put a roof on that car. You would be amazed at how much heat the sun will give you even with the wind blowing 60 mph past! And as you have observed, the airflow goes way up and over the car so as long as you are moving the rain will never touch you anyway. You will get wetter from the sides from oncoming traffic that you ever will from above. Take it from us, been there, done that and still doing it!

Hope this helps!
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

oprn thanks for the advice. When we seen that the air flow was so wacky, the first thing we did was reverse the fans. I had high hopes that it would work, but it actually made it run hotter. Second thing we tried was cardboard ducts to no avail. The fans really need a shroud I think to work properly.

As for the roof it stays. I live in the Sun Shine State and radiation burns from that yellow thing in the sky are a real problem. The cold issue is really at night when temperature drops and the humidity doesn't. The eventual plan is to get some soft side windows made for it to take care of the rain problem. But cooling issues are first on the list.

Thanks for the input
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

I have a Ford V6 in my two seater rail and had a few heating problems too. It never overheated but I could hear it grumbling. I mounted my radiator "on her back" just peeking over the top. It ran hot on the road here in the Arizona heat. (115') I tried a few things that don't apply to your rear radiator mount but a few might help.

Eliminate as many bends in the radiator hoses as possible. They slow down the coolant. Try a shroud. It didn't work on my set up but might on yours. Research your engines internal cooling passages. Many engines have restricted coolant passages to make certain parts run hotter to lower emissions. My Ford V6 had undrilled passages in the head to cause head temps to rise to lower emissions. It runs cooler with them open now! Retarded ignition timing will cause an increase in Temps. So will Advanced but it takes a lot more. What about an air duct from the top down to the radiator? Hope something helps!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

I think you need more fan on that radiator, and good ones. Need minimum 70% coverage with fans IMO, run them on large gauge wire direct from battery to relay/fan.

Cheap overrated electric fans are the root of so many cooling issues
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

So I've started mounting my heater core lol. Not the best place but only space I have that will fit it. It will get a cover over it incase anything goes wrong. I'm also going to make a shroud for the rear radiator and fan. Hopefully that will make all the difference.

stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Might try a cardboard duct under the engine funneling up under the radiator. does the stealth designed panels on the front designed to deflect radar?
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Stevebaz I've already tried making a cardboard scoop under the car and it did nothing for the temperature. Plus it is counter intuitive on the trails as it would get tones of debris stuck in it. Thanks for the idea tho. As for the stealth body work; don't know if it will reflect radar, but it sure does reflect the wind from my legs. And no there was no change in coolant temperature with and with out the cardboard body work in the front.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Link

Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Based on your descriptions of the problem and your attempted fixes, I'm betting that you will benefit the most from a fan shroud. When I was working on mine, I was dealing with Southern Arizona's normal summer temperatures: 115 +! I tried all kinds of ideas, some nuts and some not so nuts.

I think the heater core may reduce some heat but I think you'd better off with one of those pre-coolers for a turbo/super charger. They have the full sized hose attachments versus the 3/4" for a heater core.

One of my latest Wile E Coyote ideas, was to modify a tubular oil cooler for use inline on my radiator hoses. I cut the ends off and then machined the fins off so a radiator hose would fit it. When the engine is running, that thing gets hot. You can feel the heat radiating off of it so it must be working at least some.

It was a lot of little things that eventually got mine able to run with traffic on the Interstate on a 115 degree day and not get hot. The tubular inline cooler, advancing the timing one degree, adding a couple of ducts to get air flow over the oil cooler, etc. It all made a difference.

One area that gets missed a lot, is oil, cooling. Cooling the oil will help the engine to run cooler too. I installed a massive 14" x 14" plate style cooler on mine and added a couple of plastic ducts to bring air from the top of the car down to the oi cooler. It also has a fan on it, thermostat controlled. I have an oil temp gauge on my dash...important because you want to oil to stay above 212 degrees. (Boils out moisture)

Good luck and have fun!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

So made a cover for radiator and ducted the fan for some heat for the rear seat. Will see if it works tonight when we go looking at Christmas lights.

Looks hillbilly engineered but just want to see if it will work
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Well made some panels for the front that aren't cardboard lol. Will probably make the front side ones out of fiberglass due to the curve.

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

So I figured I would put an update to this build. Got the cooling straightened out with the addition of the second radiator ( never had to use the fan on the second rad). Can go 70+ and stays at 190° although it likes 65MPH due to the gearing. Took the kids to and from school several times, drove it on a few 100+ mile trips but did not go on the dirt that much.
So after some thought about how much use it gets and space it takes up; I had to make a decision. Sell it or keep it? Well I went back and forth a few times. Put it up for sale and took it down a few times. But finally keep it up for sale and she is now at a new home.
The good thing is the gentleman that bought it was overjoyed with it, it was almost like I built it specifically for him. So i'm glad I built it, but ready to put my full attention and effort towards my Meyers Manx build.

I want to say think you to all of you that gave me tips and advice on this build. It greatly helped and will help others that stumble upon this build.
Thank you Samba members.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Jump to:
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: