Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 481, 482, 483 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vw_bud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I heard someone say you can use a doghouse oil cooler on a type 4, is this possible with the 2 rows less on the cooler than the type 4?
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Did baywindow busses ever come with double side panel doors , like the split buses?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

vw_bud wrote:
I heard someone say you can use a doghouse oil cooler on a type 4, is this possible with the 2 rows less on the cooler than the type 4?

It'll fit, but there will be a gap, and less cooling.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Did baywindow busses ever come with double side panel doors , like the split buses?

If you mean hinged doors no, except for Brazil where the whole ass end of the bus behind the B pillars is a splitty body.

Bays were available with double sliders from Germany though.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Does anyone know part numbers, suppliers, or Home Depot (or similar) replacements for #’s 9 and 13 in the diagram below? I’m finding Type 1 stuff but am not sure if it’s the same.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'70 Riviera. 1904cc w/ 40mm Dellortos, 019 distributor, Steve Tims “super stock” 37x32 heads, Web Cam 218, Vintage Speed SS143 Super Speed exhaust, 1 1/2” heater boxes
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Looking for a Fluid Control Thermostat that's adjustable? If no such thing, is there something with less than a 180f opening Temp?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

D/A/N wrote:
Does anyone know part numbers, suppliers, or Home Depot (or similar) replacements for #’s 9 and 13 in the diagram below?

#9 is Honkin' Big Rubber Bushing, VW #211-415-637B, 68-71 bus.

#13 is just a widish rubber band, used to cover 3 little holes in column tube, no p/n that I know of.
I just use a little strip of black electrical tape.

D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
D/A/N wrote:
Does anyone know part numbers, suppliers, or Home Depot (or similar) replacements for #’s 9 and 13 in the diagram below?

#9 is Honkin' Big Rubber Bushing, VW #211-415-637B, 68-71 bus.

#13 is just a widish rubber band, used to cover 3 little holes in column tube, no p/n that I know of.
I just use a little strip of black electrical tape.

Cool, thanks. I asked because I have the equivalent of a widish black rubber band that seems to have slid out from somewhere in the ignition housing and I’m trying to figure out what it is.

'70 Riviera. 1904cc w/ 40mm Dellortos, 019 distributor, Steve Tims “super stock” 37x32 heads, Web Cam 218, Vintage Speed SS143 Super Speed exhaust, 1 1/2” heater boxes
brandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Anyone know where to get these little heater cable tube parts? Or know part numbers? It seems they are not being reproduced or at least not in the US market. I'm guessing Busted Bus.

germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

BusOK has the plastic bits for the heater cable aft ends.

(I realize you asked about North America but...)
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
BusOK has the plastic bits for the heater cable aft ends.

(I realize you asked about North America but...)

BusLab in Calif carries a lot of BusOK's parts.
If they can't be found on BusLab's website, give them a call.
They don't put everything in stock on their web pages.

https://www.buslab.com/Transporter-68-79-s/273.htm

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

On a 73 ball joint beetle beam, LHD, with all stock everything:

What is the absolute minimum disassembly required to remove
only the lower front torsion bar, From the “easiest” side?
Koeppler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

If a steering box is centered and alignment is good but the steering wheel isn't centered when I hook the drag link back up can I just shorten or lengthen the drag link to center the steering wheel or do I have to do something else?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Move the steering wheel, fiddling with the drag link will put the box off center.

Слава Україні!
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Oh crap . . . I thought this was the general stupid question thread. I guess this is the bus Stupid question thread.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ulu wrote:
Oh crap . . . I thought this was the general stupid question thread. I guess this is the bus Stupid question thread.

Lucky for you there's a similar thread on the late Beetle forum: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=591285

Слава Україні!
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Okay, I've gone through a few threads on the rear vent wing installation and am stuck with two questions as I attempt this on my bus.

1) Do the two tabs on the leading edge of the frame sit on the inside (meaning inside of the bus) of the pinchweld or should the pinchweld be split so that the tabs go between both sides of the pinchweld?

2) Does the upper tab (see below) sit fully inside the pinchweld or does it sit between both sides of the pinchweld? My bus has a gap into which the upper tab wants to go, but it also seems to be preventing the frame from sitting as forward as possible to allow the other window to go in. See how it doesn't sit flush with the forward edge of that gap (also assuming it should).

Thanks, guys.

Here's the upper pinchweld.

Here's the edge where the tabs engage. I assume there shouldn't be gaps into which the tabs go.

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

All tabs go on the inner (passenger compartment) side of the pinchweld, new rubbers are super stiff and make the job challenging, keep trying.

There shouldn't be any gaps between the layers of the pinchwelds, has rust swollen them up and split them?

Слава Україні!
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
All tabs go on the inner (passenger compartment) side of the pinchweld, new rubbers are super stiff and make the job challenging, keep trying.

There shouldn't be any gaps between the layers of the pinchwelds, has rust swollen them up and split them?

Okay, that's very helpful. Surprisingly little rust in this part of the bus. I'll clamp that upper part and get the metal back in shape (once it stops raining). Don't have new rubber on the vent wing (old stuff is pliable enough).

I'm wondering if it's better to start the stationary window at the edge of the vent frame instead of the bottom.

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

NorCalWeekender wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Okay, that's very helpful. Surprisingly little rust in this part of the bus. I'll clamp that upper part and get the metal back in shape (once it stops raining). Don't have new rubber on the vent wing (old stuff is pliable enough).

I'm wondering if it's better to start the stationary window at the edge of the vent frame instead of the bottom.

If the main window has new rubber it's going to be a struggle regardless of where you start, I'd consider beginning at the back and working evenly forward on the top and bottom, that way you have a flat edge left to pound on or pry with a wide flat thing to get the window back enough in the opening. Prying there also seats the vent forward so it's a 2 fer 1 deal.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 481, 482, 483 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 482 of 515

Jump to: