Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

Oh! I want in!! Surprised

I just wanted to be included is all. Anxious Wink Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Sure, there are a lot of shitty parts out there. But, there are also a lot of good ones too. One needs to do the research and know what to buy before purchasing. A lot less headaches that way.

I understand that Don does this for a living and sees a lot more then the GP does. But that doesn’t mean there aren’t good parts out there.

true

but to have a junk ATE master out of the box? i mean they were the gold standard and not cheap

who does the research? who gets paid the time and energy pounding the internet asking the questions?

it's like i'm living in an alternate universe, stuck in a vacuum and can't move forward. this brake example is a fantastic reason why i don't do internal work on aircooled engines for the public anymore.

don't even get me started on ball joints. it's just sad to see that we have settled for such mediocrity

every inch of every task is met with having to rework some aspect of the repair.

not too long ago i was filing a slide block on the roller assy for a sliding door so the block would actually fit in the channel. it's borderline criminal the hoops you have to jump thru to successfully complete even the most basic tasks.

i dunno. guess i'm just burnt the fuck out having to fight every goddam inch of everything.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Or......learning how to do or make anything and everything you need...and doing it all yourself.

if things keep going the way they are, we'll be like cuba in short order

probably a great place to source parts. theres a shitton of old cars running about down there. the communist calendar says 1967 today

but they dont have parts.. saw a special a couple years ago. no access to parts in 50+ years. they MAKE what they need, as is being discussed in others posts about what we are coming to. they inginuity shown was amazing. weather rewiring an electronic part, milling down a starter that was supposed to go into another model, ect.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

it's just sad to see that we have settled for such mediocrity

There's simply no accountability for the companies making or selling these poor quality parts other than returning them. The companies selling the parts will argue it's all they can find to sell and it is what it is.

Some companies are trying to have the common wear item parts reproduced to high standards. There has been some success stories. The split bus sheet metal sold today is miles ahead in quality over a decade ago. The new bay bus nose skin is excellent.
This is what's going to have to continue to take place. Small companies are going to have to invest and have these parts reproduced if there's enough demand for them to not only make their money back but hopefully make a profit as well.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

Quote:
i dunno. guess i'm just burnt the fuck out having to fight every goddam inch of everything.

Don, we all are (except Xevin Smile ). Cathy and I rarely get customer service unless we do our own. I literally just got back from taking two well known name brand bottle jacks back to Lowe's. They were used 4 different days this summer to pull 8 fence posts, then wiped off and put back in their plastic carrying boxes and stored in a dry garage. The hard chrome plating on the rams was coming off, showing the copper plated steel. I really didn't want a piece of the hard chrome to cut a seal and have one collapse. Took 3 attempts to get the manufacturer to deal with it, and threatening them with a small claims suit against both them and Lowe's after the 3rd time they never got back to me after I sent them the things they wanted (receipt, photos etc). Lowe's didn't even want to take them back since they were sold in April and this is November, even with a letter from the manufacturer to take them back to Lowe's so they could deal with the manufacturer. (Some retailers get a discount to cover warranty defects when they buy from the manufacturer so they have already been paid to handle defects, and these had a 1-year warranty). We ended up with a Lowe's store credit that could only be used at that Lowe's, so we used it for some HVAC filters we buy from Lowe's anyway. But it was not seamless. This year we've had 3 returns to Amazon where they didn't want the item back and said e-waste it. We did and three months later here comes a bill from Amazon, back to the phone to get it straightened out. We keep all communications now so we can prove, "You told us to do this... ." Point is, nothing is sacred anymore. Except Onkyo. I had a 8-year old top of the line Onkyo receiver that went bad a year ago from a known defect that was common in that model. Onkyo fixed it and paid shipping both ways from here to the east coast. Unit had a 3-year warranty originally. I asked to buy the HDMI circuit board to repair it myself, and they said, "We don't sell them to DIY but we will offer to fix it for free one time since it is a known defect in that model." Last thought - look at the FedEd ravine caper. Some FedEx driver tossed all his packages into a ravine and marked them as delivered a few days ago. FedEx wrote it off as a loss. UPS drivers on their own time, local shipping services, and local volunteers have been rappelling down into the ravine picking up and delivering packages as they can for days now. So there is hope yet that some day life will get back to normal where people help one another. This last school shooting, and the Baldwin shooting are going to change things too. Most people I know pretty much all see the events the same way, as gross negligence (more like jaw dropping total incompetence) that resulted in deaths that should never have happened. as long as we all blow the whistle on junk parts, eventually the situation will change to where the parts get better or totally disappear.
brandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

Anyone else feel like I do about the junky super thin repo rubber fuel filler elbow for a late bay? 211 201 119A

All vendors seem to carry the same crap product made from the same cheap mold.

I've ordered two from two different vendors hoping one would be thicker like stock and they are identical.

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211201119
https://www2.cip1.com/vwc-211-201-119/
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

brandt wrote:
Anyone else feel like I do about the junky super thin repo rubber fuel filler elbow for a late bay? 211 201 119A

All vendors seem to carry the same crap product made from the same cheap mold.

I've ordered two from two different vendors hoping one would be thicker like stock and they are identical.

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211201119
https://www2.cip1.com/vwc-211-201-119/

yep

they are like tissue paper and because of that any one i replace gets an access hatch cut in so you can replace the piece of shit in 2 minutes instead of bending like gumby every 8 months

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

Access hatches are a total necessity in the endless cheap part replacement cycle. Anyone who bitches that such work is a "hack" is nursing a trailer queen in the garage and polishing the chrome on the air shroud dreaming of the next green lawn at the "car show". I'm no longer accepting customer work and its all thanks to the part problems. How long does a garage want to baby sit your car while they spend countless hours tracking down a usable part. I don't even look at most sites anymore and how they sleep at night is beyond me. The ass-hole at NAPA told me on the last return of a faulty Toyota clutch " Oh, ya they all do that". Yet they are still for sale!

Individual sellers ( hoarders ) and rock-auto OEM parts are the last gasp for actually having a drivable car.
Jalabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

Exhibit A for me this week is repro window regulators. I think the worm gear is made of camembert, the sodding thing can barely support its own weight without clunking as it merrily strips itself even more useless...

'73 westy, 1700 type 4 with 34icts
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

we found a couple NOS genuine VW fuel elbows. Used one and stashed the other. No problems at all. Some of y'all have to learn the art of finding old stock items. As to Skills, his problem is different - he can't spend 50 hours finding something for a client, then tell his client, "your bill will be the cost of the NOS part, shipping, installation, and 50 hours additional for me to find it for a grand total of $12,413 to replace the fuel elbow." That is why most people tell bus owners to go away.
Jalabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

As soon as I got a whiff of what a POS the repro regulator was I downed tools and went looking. Lucked out, got a NOS one on the way from the first place I looked. Not expecting that kind of luck to hold, but they're definitely out there...

If I need another 73 indicator switch though...pretty glad mine crapped out when it did. Seem to be unobtanium these days.

'73 westy, 1700 type 4 with 34icts
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

Missed this thread when it was new... But now I'm all nervous.

Sometime late in the fall, I went to move my '73. Noted a funny puddle by the back wheel and when I moved it to the street, I noted that the pedal dropped. Later moved it to the other part of the driveway and it hasn't run for a couple months now.

I'm sure that likely the wheel cylinder is leaking but simply haven't had time to do anything with it.

Now I'm all nervous about finding a good replacement. Bleaugh.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Missed this thread when it was new... But now I'm all nervous.

Sometime late in the fall, I went to move my '73. Noted a funny puddle by the back wheel and when I moved it to the street, I noted that the pedal dropped. Later moved it to the other part of the driveway and it hasn't run for a couple months now.

I'm sure that likely the wheel cylinder is leaking but simply haven't had time to do anything with it.

Now I'm all nervous about finding a good replacement. Bleaugh.

Plenty of time to perfect the art of honing and new seals. EU seems to have rebuild kits we can’t get. Pm me if you want to piggy back onto an overseas order
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
we found a couple NOS genuine VW fuel elbows. Used one and stashed the other. No problems at all. Some of y'all have to learn the art of finding old stock items. As to Skills, his problem is different - he can't spend 50 hours finding something for a client, then tell his client, "your bill will be the cost of the NOS part, shipping, installation, and 50 hours additional for me to find it for a grand total of $12,413 to replace the fuel elbow." That is why most people tell bus owners to go away.

you're right

problem is, this stuff is getting harder and harder to find...it can take years for someone to pop something up for sale

add to that the new tax implications for over 600 in sales using paypal etc for a casual seller like myself it just isn't worth the ass ache to list the shit anymore....and unless i know you fuck paying friends and family to some random schmuck.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

I had the same problem doing the rear brakes on my '79 panel a few years ago. I thought it was because of the cheap Brax brand brake cylinders I used. I ended up building up the area of the brake shoes with weld where they sat in the brake cylinder piston groove. The brake job on my '56 beetle a few months ago was the opposite... I had to file the grooves in the brake cylinder piston deeper to get the drums on.

Unfortunately... I'm at the point now where I expect the parts that I buy for my VWs not to fit properly...

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

And thanks to COVID and the China trade agreements (which were needed) quality will be a thing of the past for quite some time.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

So it was my 77 that Don was working on this summer when he first started having this grief with the rear slave cylinders. They were ATE, the very best I could find.

In fact, all of the parts were the very best I could find because Don and I made a pact when he started work on my Bus: He tells me what he needs, I go source the parts. That was fair. It meant that I spent occasionally took 20 hours a week trying to scare up "not shit" parts sometimes. When I was able to, I absolutely refused to compromise on the parts quality. , Most of the time I bought "the best that was available" and crossed my fingers and toes. Often it meant buying from retailers in the UK or Europe. The products I was happiest with were Sebro discs & Zimmerman-Z rear drums (both German, and I only got the Sebro because Zimmerman-Z discs were Not In Stock due to the supply chain snarl.) But the best pads and shoes I could find were ATE. We did new Jopex reproduction ATE calipers because my originals were so shot, it would cost less to replace them than for Don to rebuild them. (This Bus had been off the road for 28 years.)

Neighbors, there were a huge number of disappointments. All of the German parts I bought fit like a custom made shoe (The Sebros and the Zimmerman-Zs, and even the Jopex 'nee Dansk reproductions of new ATE calipers.) But every ATE branded product was a cheat or wrong in some subtle way. The pads had a smaller friction material footprint than the 30 year old (ATE) pads that came off. The rear shoes are STILL Vanagon shoes with a Bus part number on them, a problem that has plagued us for years. Don salvaged my old (correct) shoes and I'm going to strip them down to the frames and send out to be re-shod with new material for when the rears need replacing next time. I live in mortal fear of my MC dropping dead on me.

I guess we got enough serviceable parts in there, because the brakes on that Bus saved me from a bad accident just 7 weeks after I'd gotten it back from Don. I'm talking a panic stop so severe, I'd almost swear I stood the front end up on the bumper getting it stopped.

I think it is completely fair for specialty mechanics to insist that the owner source all of the parts. That won't stop crap parts from showing up, but it will allow the mechanic to say: "This doesn't work. It isn't tapped all the way through." or "this part is missing half of the retainers; better order a different one, because this one will just fall out on the ground." Let the owner deal with getting their money back for the defect units. I know that it makes you a hell of a lot more diligent to find the best possible parts you can source, even if you have to go horse-trading, or shop over-seas to get access to different suppliers.

webwalker
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

if it makes you feel any better Marshall (and i'm sure it won't) i'm on my 3rd rear brake job on the vanagon since i built it...about 2,500 miles ago

for some reason it keeps heating up the r/r drum. i've adjusted drum brakes since i was asshole high to a tall indian so this by far isn't my first rodeo.

like yourself, best of the best...ATE classic line cyls, "quality" shoes, brembo drums.

this time i went FULL nuclear... drums, shoes, cyls, hoses, backing plates...you name it it got it...again.

the weather is such that i haven't driven it post re-re-re-repair but i think i had a "AH HA!" moment this time. can't confirm it as i have to drive it but i can tell you this, if i didn't solve it you'll see the mushroom cloud from NJ if it doesn't work out.

now, this is my personal van. it's basically the SAME setup as the late bay rear brakes minus the automatic adjusters which i deep sixed on brake job #2 in favor for conventional star adjusters and having the ability to 'fine tune' the adjustment better than the auto adjusters.

that said, i'm into this rear brake job for a LOT OF FUCKING MONEY. no one local turns drums anymore save for heavy truck places which don't want to fool with my drums.

i have considered buying a brake lathe...but they are huge, take up space i really don't have and honestly the ROI would make me 105 years old by the time it paid for itself.

at any rate, i am thinking that the only way forward will be to suck it up and rebuild just about everything we can. this not only adds cost but time to the project....

imagine being down for 2 months while your brake shoes get re-lined. it fucking sucks.

i'm getting to the point where i'm just over it. when the most basic tasks are so involved it really makes me question if it's worth it anymore.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

Quote:
i'm getting to the point where i'm just over it. when the most basic tasks are so involved it really makes me question if it's worth it anymore.

that is why a lot of shops have gotten to the point where they walk away or quote so high they know they won't lose on it. As to brake drums, we've got a couple old NAPA stores here with machine shops that still do them. The bad news is that when I first met the owners I was 40ish and 140 lbs lighter. The owners had dark hair and mustaches. Now they are 100 lbs more and have grey balding hair. Like me, I don't know how much longer they will be around. Its like we watch an old Gunsmoke, and Amanda Blake is really a sharp looking lady, then one realizes what she was like in the last remake of a remake, and what James Arness looked like too then. Arness died in 2011 and Blake in 1989, two years before I met the owner in the NAPA machine shop here. Then I remind myself what I forgot the other day, and that these buses are 45 - 55 years old now.

The PROBLEM is likely that people want to use them still as daily drivers when reality is they are just as good for that as a 1917 Hupmobile was as a daily driver back in 1972. Heck, we had a 1941 Packard Deluxe we restored in 1968 and it was way out of date driving it. It was only 27 years old. That is like what these VW buses were twice that time ago.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: the unofficial fuck shitty parts thread Reply with quote

We just lost our last machine shop turning drums in Albany area, metro size about 1M. I’m hoping I can find something on Long Island
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: