Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How fast can a Mexican made Beetle go with a 1600i engine??
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NRAgunnut1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: How fast can a Mexican made Beetle go with a 1600i engine?? Reply with quote

Long story short I’m really considering going down to Mexico And buying one from at least 1993 or newer and would like it to have the 1600i engine. I just like to know the top speed of one, thank you all and God bless.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: How fast can a Mexican made Beetle go with a 1600i engine?? Reply with quote

probably ~75mph.. maybe bump to 80 with a tailwind

would want to tune the tires/steering/suspension if planning to go much more than 70mph though.. can get 'twitchy' in side winds
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pegasín
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: How fast can a Mexican made Beetle go with a 1600i engine?? Reply with quote

Official factory speed: 127 km/h (79 MPH)

With good weather and road conditions I saw my speedo reach 140 km/h (87 MPH). But I don't recommend it. I only did it a couple of times for testing perfomance.

1600i gearboxes has short ratios, same or similar as 1200, and over 100 km/h (62 MPH) engine runs at high rpm's. The advantage is that it has better accelerations and full power at any conditions. 1600i engine has an special feeling. No more power than a carb engine, 46HP @ 4.000 rpm (DIN)

I think 55-60 MPH is the best cruise speed.

Also, with side wind the car stabilty is the same as other VW Bugs... i.e. awful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How fast can a Mexican made Beetle go with a 1600i engine?? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
probably ~75mph.. maybe bump to 80 with a tailwind

would want to tune the tires/steering/suspension if planning to go much more than 70mph though.. can get 'twitchy' in side winds

That’s close to what I found. While in Mexico in 1989 I had the means and opportunity to rent two different beetles, a sedan from Avis almost new and one from a smaller company that cut the tops off. They both ran kinda shitty on 80 octane fuel and had low compression. As if that wasn’t enough you had to bribe the Pemex guys or they might rip you off. We tipped before asking for fuel. Very Happy

I encourage everyone to enjoy their car, don’t be afraid and don’t baby it. If your car is right and dialed in you should feel comfortable. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2071700.jpg
adventurebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: How fast can a Mexican made Beetle go with a 1600i engine?? Reply with quote

They can go right up to the speed recorded on the crash report.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: How fast can a Mexican made Beetle go with a 1600i engine?? Reply with quote

adventurebob wrote:
They can go right up to the speed recorded on the crash report.

Yes I know this must come as a surprise but believe it or not back in the 1970s when every other car was a VW we drove them😀 VW sold millions of these things go figure.

If you are afraid to drive your car as it was designed and per the manual it says much more about you the owner. If it’s not up to the task that’s your fault, own it.

This goes a long ways in explaining the mindset of VW and the fact there seems to be a subset of people now afraid of their cars is really sad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfvJl8-sdBY
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: How fast can a Mexican made Beetle go with a 1600i engine?? Reply with quote

I learned to drive on cars with four wheel drum brakes. And I remember one of my first attempts to drive a car with "power brakes". I struggled with the transition, my heavy foot kept locking up the wheels.

Now I'm back driving a Beetle with four wheel drums. And it has taken some time to re-learn the old methods. Like - get on those brakes HARD and early, without skidding. Get the car's weight forward and squish those skinny front tires for a larger contact patch. (I'm not talking about braking while cornering) I wonder how many young drivers can pump and modulate the brakes in a panic situation without ABS today?

Old cars certainly don't have all the safety features of modern cars. But at the same time, I think the expectation for driver knowledge and skill was greater with older cars.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How fast can a Mexican made Beetle go with a 1600i engine?? Reply with quote

I seem to remember the top and cruising speed in my 1974 Owners Manual, it says 81 mph for manuals, and 78 mph for auto-sticks.

I usually got 67 mph on the freeway, and have gotten it to 75 to pass trucks. My motor is a stock 1600 dual port.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: How fast can a Mexican made Beetle go with a 1600i engine?? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
I seem to remember the top and cruising speed in my 1974 Owners Manual, it says 81 mph for manuals, and 78 mph for auto-sticks.

I usually got 67 mph on the freeway, and have gotten it to 75 to pass trucks. My motor is a stock 1600 dual port.

Tim

Tim I think VW rated them on the conservative side. My all original 56 bug would get 75 on a long enough flat road. I’ve run 1500s in excess of 85 and the later dual ports are good for 90 plus. The most overlooked item on these cars? Not getting a full pedal, if the cable is just a tad loose you will not get full performance and a WOT. It’s all good and I understand some folks don’t want to drive at VW cruising speed. One fella I know never goes over 50mph.😀 but he drives a bus.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How fast can a Mexican made Beetle go with a 1600i engine?? Reply with quote

Zund, I just limit myself to 75 mph when passing trucks. I don’t like going too fast in a bug.

Back in the day, I’d go 90 mph in my new 1969 Karmann Ghia, then it would go faster (1500 engine). But Ghia’s cut through the wind and air drag, infinitely better than a bug. Although, I don’t drive that fast anymore, even in my modern car. No need.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How fast can a Mexican made Beetle go with a 1600i engine?? Reply with quote

I have a '79 1600 dual port FI engine, all stock. Not sure how close it is to a '90s Mexican FI Beetle. But I came upon an open stretch of highway today, it was a shallow incline, strong head wind, and the convertible top was down. I put the pedal down:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
I didn't reach Zund-Speed but I'm pleased considering the conditions.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How fast can a Mexican made Beetle go with a 1600i engine?? Reply with quote

127km/h (79mph)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How fast can a Mexican made Beetle go with a 1600i engine?? Reply with quote

How fast can a Mexican made Beetle go with a 1600i engine??

Top Gear answered that. About 110 mph.

Link
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How fast can a Mexican made Beetle go with a 1600i engine?? Reply with quote

Of course, everyone’s speedo is correct and the tyre rolling radius is correct for the speedo.

I can get 120 mph out if mine if I put 12” tyres on the front of the car.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How fast can a Mexican made Beetle go with a 1600i engine?? Reply with quote

With a stock engine/set up-physics says around 80mph +/- depending on exact factors

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647276&highlight=mother+natures+dynamometer
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: How fast can a Mexican made Beetle go with a 1600i engine?? Reply with quote

I can easily cruise at 120 km/h (~74 mph) and 'pop' up to 130 km/h (~80) in my unmodified '96. The fastest I've pushed the engine was to 'kiss' the 140 (~87mph) mark on the speedo. Based on the flow of traffic and comparing my speedo reading to the radar signs (that show your speed), I'm pretty sure my speedo is reading accurately.

To be fair, the roof was removed from my car, which makes the car a little lighter than other Mexican Beetles and may allow for a higher top end.

The engines can be 'chipped', Manfred at www.1600i.de used to offer that service, I don't know if he still does.
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How fast can a Mexican made Beetle go with a 1600i engine?? Reply with quote

The Mexican 1600i has a good engine the thing that restricts it most is probably the catalyser and exhaust design.
What the stock combination loses in power and acceleration it gains in the advantage of approx. 20 per cent better fuel economy compared to the majority of other VW 1600 engines found in other markets.
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How fast can a Mexican made Beetle go with a 1600i engine?? Reply with quote

Beetles are little city cars so no need to go too fast I suppose, but I recall renting a fuel injected Mexican Beetle on vacation one year. I was impressed by the pep, I was a little put off by the finish. The interior was very stark. The engine certainly had plenty of power, but what I noticed immediately was the rev limiter. I suppose I rev my cars a little higher, but the rev limiter was very noticeable in that vehicle.

Otherwise it was a good car, I'm sure it would be fun to drive and own.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
adventurebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How fast can a Mexican made Beetle go with a 1600i engine?? Reply with quote

As you want to get to the scene of the crash.
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How fast can a Mexican made Beetle go with a 1600i engine?? Reply with quote

It's good to see this topic active again.

Today I drove the same stretch of highway as last May. No other cars in sight. This time I cheated by accelerating down the hill leading into the flat stretch. I entered the flat at 88 mph, steering and stability felt good. On the flat my speed went down to 82 mph.

My throttle cable is a little loose. I don't think I'm getting WOT.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: