Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

engine stumbles and coughs
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ForestVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: engine stumbles and coughs Reply with quote

My 1600 engine in my buggy will cough and stumble when I shift from 1st to 2nd and 3rd when giving it gas then will pick right up and run fine------
The engine 1600 new long block
new 34 pict -3
new pertronix vacuum advance
bosh blue coil
new plug wires and bosh plugs
Timing set at 5 ATDC

As of now it starts right up idles fine - revs up fine no hesitation or cough --put it in 1st take right off just fine put it in 2nd get cough stumble then takes off fine same for 3rd and 4th----oh yes I put the larger jets in, that came with the carb

I would like to thank any input that anyone has on this. Harvey
VW Sand rail
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: engine stumbles and coughs Reply with quote

Try setting timing statically at 7.5° BTDC...

Or try setting timing at about 28° to 32° BTDC at about 3000 RPM with strobe light and forget about static timing or idle timing...

Do you have any numbers on how much advance distributor has (centrifugal + vacuum total advance)...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
ForestVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: engine stumbles and coughs Reply with quote

Just cked total advance and it is 28 degrees at 3000 rpm--set at 5 atdc -----about a week ago had it set at 7.5 btdc and it ran like crap and was spitting out lots of unburnt fuel--I will try it again and see what happens-----Thank you
VW Sand rail
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: engine stumbles and coughs Reply with quote

ForestVW wrote:
Just cked total advance and it is 28 degrees at 3000 rpm--set at 5 atdc ...

My suggestion is to try for 30° at 3000 rpm, by setting static timing up a couple degrees; that'd put it at 3° atdc. (Right?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: engine stumbles and coughs Reply with quote

That is odd because it would seem you distributor has something like 33° to 35° advance while most distributors only have about 19° to 27° advance

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: engine stumbles and coughs Reply with quote

Doesn't surprise me. Pertronics distributors are all over the map from what I could gather on this forum. Mine certainly was not as advertised!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: