Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Official 1964 Bug Registry
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 Bug Registry Reply with quote

southwest wrote:
I've just purchased a '64 project.

I assume the seat vinyl is impossible to source?

The exact replica of the original vinyl: yes. But you can get new covers that look similar to the originals
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
southwest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 Bug Registry Reply with quote

I've searched but so far can't find anything like the "brown cord vinyl ". Any tips would be much appreciated.
lellswo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's my '64. My parents purchased this new in December, 1963, a little over a year before I was born. I grew up with this car and learned to drive in it. I've stored it for the last 20 years in my garage and I'm now ready to restore it to original condition. I know it's complete history and I even have the original sales contract. The first picture was taken in 1964 of my folks with the car. The second is it's current condition, being documented before I start the restoration.

This is an early '64 with the narrow front turn signals, pope nose license plate light and no exterior lock on the passenger's door handle. Everything is original and unmolested (except for the seats which were reupholstered in the late 1970's). I'd love to find the brown cord vinyl to restore the seats!
lellswo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 Bug Registry Reply with quote

southwest wrote:
I've searched but so far can't find anything like the "brown cord vinyl ". Any tips would be much appreciated.

SMS has the 1964 beaver brown cloth upholstery which was an original upgrade from the brown cord vinyl upholstery. It's probably as close to original that you'll be able to find. Here's the link: https://smsautofabrics.com/collections/1964/products/1964-volkswagen-cloth-64-beetle-tan

Compare to this: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/64colorsbug/9.jpg

Best of luck!
southwest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 Bug Registry Reply with quote

lellswo wrote:
southwest wrote:

SMS has the 1964 beaver brown cloth upholstery which was an original upgrade from the brown cord vinyl upholstery. It's probably as close to original that you'll be able to find. Here's the link: https://smsautofabrics.com/collections/1964/products/1964-volkswagen-cloth-64-beetle-tan

Compare to this: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/64colorsbug/9.jpg

Best of luck!

That's great thank you..I've ordered samples.
southwest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Bit of an update. I sent SMS a sample of my brown cord vinyl which they're going to manufacture an exact match.
I'll be able to re upholster all my seats. Hopefully my existing useable material can be recycled by someone whose seats need patching up.
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Wow, nice! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 Bug Registry Reply with quote

I thought I had posted in here previously. But here's my submission to the '64 registry!
I've known this car since I was 18, some friends had owned the beetle since about 1991. I do have a complete history of the car, and have spoken with all but one of the previous owners - he passed.
I'm actually taking the car down to Florida in April and will be stopping along the way to meet the original owner, who still remembers the car.
So, as the story goes, I had a beautiful 77 Westy and sold it to get enough for the down payment on my first home. Not long after I had sought to buy another VW and my friends asked if I was interested in "Herbie"
I couldn't get to their house fast enough!

Here's a photo of me driving the bug back in 2003 when I was 18!
(Cell phones weren't really taboo to use when driving then!)

Here it is when I went to "look" at it - not much of a pre-purchase inspection.
I was already sold on it!

The day we brought him home!

A few months later, he got bumped in the rear by a Jeep. Thankfully our damage was minor. A decklid, bumper, tail light, and a generator.
But it became as good a time as any to give the car some real love and attention.
You can see my restoration photos all here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=704603&highlight=

And here it is all done! Looking proper and no longer sporting the Herbie look.
I did go with the 63 license plate light and peanut lights on the front fenders.
Other than that, we're all stock. Most of the chrome even is original that I had rechromed.

It's first First-Place. I've never been much of a trophy guy but this one came from the first ever show I attended with my first bug back in 2002/2003. So, being this car's "debut performance" it meant alot.

Here I am in the middle. I'm owner 6. Owner 5 is in the light blue shirt nearer to the car and owner 3 is in the dark blue shirt and jeans.

and maybe one of my favorite pictures of the car - with the NYC skyline in the back.

Other than the obvious stuff, I'm really proud that the car was so solid and original. It gave a great place to start from. It is still 6V, and rocking it's 1200 still. I did have the Sapphire I upgraded by Rich Langenwalter to receive FM also and he added an aux input so I could run BlueTooth through my factory radio.
Add that to the ClassicCharger which lets my car charge my iPhone via 6V and I have zero compromises with no obvious aesthetic changes to the car.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Great job, looks so much better!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 Bug Registry Reply with quote

When I was about 15 Years Old my family had a 64 Ruby Red VW. I can remember sitting in the garage pretending to drive it...making all of the required Varoom sounds and shifting through the gears a million times the car had an off White interior if memory serves me. Thin White Walls and the Alum. cooling disk wheel covers. It was supposed to be my Moms car but she hated it, we really didnt own it for more than a year or two. Still would love to own a Ruby 64 someday. Our family didnt ever take many photos of anything I wish we would have... Sad
difrangia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Pics of graft of 62 ragtop roof panel onto our Garnet Red 64. Done in early 90's.
I'd owned Type-3's back in 1970's and this was the first Bug we snagged back in 87. I wanted a ragtop and couldn't find one so found a clipped roof from a 62. In 1990 we unfolded the drip rails, separated spot-welds in windshield and back glass, and sawed the four posts for butt-weld. Folded the drip rails back down and welded everything up. Used the 64 as one of my daily drivers from 87 till 2016. I've been rebuilding the 1600DP and had the trany gone through over the past year. Will start driving again in Spring. Has a Stewart Warner gas heater that I put in in early 90's. It would run you out of there in short order but I'm gonna have to rebuild the unit fuel pump (busted diaphragm) or go to electric pump.

obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Recently purchased an abandoned project '64. Has been sitting for 10 years.

At some point it had a Stewart Warner "Southwind" heater installed. Only the dash switch, a vent and holes in the trunk remain. How it ended up in southern Arizona is unknown.

Doing my best to make it a runner for now.

Chicken Helmet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 Bug Registry Reply with quote

I recently acquired my 1964, built 8/7/63. It has the smaller, turn signals, stale air and smaller license lamp. I have no sure way to know what is original but my friend I purchased the car from bought it from an older gentleman who owned it the better part of 40 years. My friend added the wheels and I don’t think much else. My biggest curiosity is the US stencil above the gas tank. I’ve been driving it almost every day since we got it running again.

southwest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 Bug Registry Reply with quote

southwest wrote:
Bit of an update. I sent SMS a sample of my brown cord vinyl which they're going to manufacture an exact match.
I'll be able to re upholster all my seats. Hopefully my existing useable material can be recycled by someone whose seats need patching up.

10 months and lots of excuses ..Still waiting for my fabric. Watch this space!
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 Bug Registry Reply with quote

southwest wrote:
southwest wrote:

Bummer, thanks for the update. Hopefully they will come through.
I don’t personally need any, but have hope for fellow 64 owners!
southwest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 Bug Registry Reply with quote

southwest wrote:
southwest wrote:

Having heard nothing by early January and checked the exact date I paid SMS and placed the order it was now over a year.
I sent another polite request for an update only to be informed that they probably won't be able to supply the fabric so I can have a refund. The refund took a few email prompts but eventually arrived.
I've basically been messed around by Doug at SMS for over a year.No apology or explanation. Yes I have a refund but the couldn't care less attitude is disappointing
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Southwest.

I had the same experience with SMS. I gave up after 18 months. Got all my money back too but... Super frustrating

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
southwest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 Bug Registry Reply with quote

I have a complete set of original Brown Cord Vinyl seat covers removed from my car after replacing with a really close matching fabric.the front seats were falling apart but rear seat was almost perfect. I've saved everything including the brown vinyl and piping.
would like to recover some of the costs of the new ones if anybody is interested in what I have. if id found these my originals could have been saved.
please message me for photos and cost?
thanks in advance.
BeatleBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Hi, new to The Samba Very Happy and new to me August '63 Beetle with peanut indicators and small license plate light. Matching numbers body, and sort of original engine, looks to be an engine from the engine exchange program pre-'68. I believe it still has the original Windsor blue interior under the newer upholstery on the back seat, but front seats have been replaced Sad . Was super stoked to find the original Bahama Blue paint hiding inside the driver's door, not sure what is going on with the paint on the outside though lol. Black knobs and steering wheel wouldn't have been a leftover from '63 thing right? I thought I saw something about black accessories somewhere but can't figure out where.

ebrand57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1964 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Hi, 1964 VW. Bought in June 1976 (wow...48 years ago!) for $150 just after High School. It had 90,500 miles or so on it. Drove in college, back and forth between New England and Michigan lots of time. Dated my wife in 1977 (married 44 years!) in it....
Major rust repair in 1983...rattle can paint job. Drove until rust took over in 1987. Now has 190,000 plus miles. Quite a few engines. Current is a Bus 1500 converted to 1700..with tiny carb (used on my '65 VW camper, which alas I no longer own). Basically parked and rusting away since 1987. Started rebuild #2 in 2013...my how time flies! See pics....not much original about the car...but....dated wife, etc. Now, 10 years into #2 rebuild...very, very slow, retired with tons of projects. I have everything needed to finish...and make a casual local runner. Fortunately I have my old registration from Michigan in 1980 (I currently live in Michigan)...so will have no problems registering again.

I did have a gas heater in it at one point....great for New England winters! No plans to drive in anything but nice weather once it is "done".

Lots of items replaced over the years....I will hazard a guess that by the time I am done, it will be about 30% original by mass...

1978?

Just before staring rebuild #2 in 2013:

Current state.....no nasty remarks about Bondo please.... Very Happy

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: