Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weld / solder an oil cooler pin hole
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grego in Sac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Weld / solder an oil cooler pin hole Reply with quote

Has anyone been able to successfully remelt or resolder with silver solder a pin hole leak on an oil cooler where the up and down plate butts together at the bottom or top?
Been chasing an oil leak and finally was able to run the engine on a stand to see the oil bubbling and slowly dripping down the mounting area onto the case.
Pressured tested the cooler and using soapy water can see tiny bubbles coming from this area.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It’s at the bottom inside of the cooler.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Can I use heat to remelt the solder, if it is originally soldered together, and add extra to seal it up, or use silver solder if it wasn’t originally soldered?

I plan to buy a new one or at the very least an extra but why waste the money and time waiting unless I have to. Plus there a bunch of runs, gift giving and cruises happening now and for the rest of this month and it kills me to have the car sitting on jack stands.
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Weld / solder an oil cooler pin hole Reply with quote

Replace it.

It cannot be repaired.

Time’s a wastin’, get a new one ordered up so you can enjoy your car.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Weld / solder an oil cooler pin hole Reply with quote

Ya, generally risky to repair. Perhaps it could "hold" just temporarily until the new one shows up, but it's hard to reccomend that. Its already removed... just get a new one it should be quicker that trying to bandage the bad one anyway. Find one in stock and get it shipped quick. I bet you there is one for sale in stock somewhere right now just sitting on a shelf Wink a flat rate priority box ships most places in the US in 2-3 days.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Weld / solder an oil cooler pin hole Reply with quote

Is there a VW shop anywhere near you? Someone has got to have one sitting on a shelf.
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Weld / solder an oil cooler pin hole Reply with quote

From the picture, it appears to be an easy fix. I'd braze it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KEGZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Weld / solder an oil cooler pin hole Reply with quote

I’ve got these aluminum “welding” rods. Only a benzomatic is needed. Bought them at the big Pomona swap where the vendor demonstrated the use case for what you have in front of you now. He demonstrated sealing holes in aluminum cans. I’ve never used them before so I can’t provide feedback on them. But if anything, I think they’d be an option. However, replacing the cooler would probably let you sleep better at night.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Weld / solder an oil cooler pin hole Reply with quote

Never heard of brazing aluminum. But it looks like it can be done.

Link

Personally, I'd buy a new cooler and call it a day!
It shouldn't be too hard to find one in Flat Sac. Very Happy

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Weld / solder an oil cooler pin hole Reply with quote

Anyone thats ever tried to weld or braze an oily thing has already thrown that in the garbage and ordered a new one. Especially aluminum, which is particularly intolerant of any greasy contamination.
Not to mention the possibility of sending orphaned bits of braze rod and solder into the oil stream.
Grego in Sac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Weld / solder an oil cooler pin hole Reply with quote

So I’m sitting here after dinner scrolling Amazon and other websites for a new cooler and then BAMM!!
It dawned on me that the coolers I’m looking for are type 4 oil coolers and I have a bunch of type 4 motors on a trailer back behind the shop from the several 914”s parked on the side of the house!
Picked a oem cooler from one of them and got things back together last night at around midnight!
As a bonus, the oil pressure got stronger numbers once warmed up compared to the aftermarket cooler. Could be the fact that it doesn’t have a leak but I think the size of the holes had something to do with it, I had to use the 8mm to 10mm adapter seals to get it to seal. And the oem unit just looked stout..

Might try and heat up the old one and see if I could fix it, for shits and giggles
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Weld / solder an oil cooler pin hole Reply with quote

Bugformance in Sac should have those in stock. Part number 021117021B.

On ebay I have found a Nos German one for $85 and similar Taiwan made ones for $70.

Hopefully the one you put in lasts. Glad you got it together.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: